Our family (myself, wife, and two kids, 12 and 8) stayed here for 2 nights in April in one of the Tabacon Suites. The suites were constructed about 3 years ago, so they are fairly new and well maintained. The room was beautiful and huge, though it was one big room even though they could easily make it into a suite with a large bedroom and large living area, which I prefer when traveling with children. The bathroom was huge as well and included a glass shower and a jacuzzi tub. Overall, we loved the room even though it had no view other than looking out into a bit of jungle.
The Tabacon Hot Springs are a 5 minute walk away, or the hotel will bring you there and back by shuttle. We never had to wait more than a minute or two for a shuttle ride. We all enjoyed the hot springs, even though it can get crowded when the tour buses pull in. The most peaceful time to go is in the morning or early afternoon - the tour buses tend to arrive in the afternoon and the place is packed with people by 3 or 4 pm. There is one pool at the hotel site, and it is a thermal heated pool. Given the size and extent of the off-site thermal hot springs, I would have preferred that the hotel pool be a lower temperature.
We do quite a bit of traveling and are accustomed to paying high-end resort rates for food and services - but we still found Tabacon to be quite expensive for meals and tours. We ended up booking our own zip line tours with Sky Adventures for about 30% less than Tabacon tried to charge for the same activity. Another detraction was the restaurant - it is a very beautiful, formal place with very high prices. I wouldn't have minded this if Tabacon had a less formal option for meals. One evening we arrived back to the hotel a bit late and wanted a quick, easy meal. Our only option was the restaurant, which took over an hour to serve us any food. The food was very good, but when you have two tired, hungry kids I can do without the amuse bouche and the sorbet between courses. I wish Tabacon had a casual bar/grill where you could order a simple menu.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, TravelClick, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Ebookers, Hotels.com, Priceline, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos