We spent 5 days of our honeymoon at Tabacon Resort and we were very disappointed. For the price and what you get it is NOT a good deal. Nor is it by any standard a five star resort.
- Honestly there wasn't anything we loved about this hotel. It was nice of them to send us complimentary champagne and fruit plate, as we were on our honeymoon. However the maid took the fruit plate before we could ever eat it.
- Room smelled like black mold and was super humid inside (the sheets on the bed were almost moist)
- Room decor was disappointing, so was the view or lack thereof
- Horrible customer service. You have to track someone down to get anything. And they almost always refer you to their travel/excursion desk. Definitely not five star service.
- We were on our honeymoon and I booked it under my maiden name. I asked 5 separate times for them to call us by my married name and they NEVER got it!
- The hotel is a $15 red taxi ride away from the town ($18 if you book your cab through the hotel..what a scam) So a total of $30-35 to get to town and back.
- The excursions they push have bad reviews and are overpriced. We made the guy at the tour desk call and book the tours/activities that we liked and looked up on trip advisor that were not through their company. Because if you try and call from your room they charge a lot of money for local calls.
- I thought they gave us the wrong room because we booked a room with a sofa bed. So I brought it up to management and said they could just refund me the difference...next thing I know two guys are moving a sofa bed into our room.
- Food at the hotel is very expensive and not very good. American Breakfast was $22 and Buffet was $30.
- Hot springs are not actually on site. It is a 5 min walk or a free shuttle to the springs. This is probably the only free thing they offer. Don't expect above and beyond service.
- The Hot Springs claim they are the only "natural" hot springs. There is nothing natural about these. They pump in water, there is a ton of concrete. The only thing natural about it is that there is there is dirt, rocks, leaves and crap in the hot springs. Not very exciting or cleanly.
If we were to go back, we would spend the extra money and stay at "The Springs." We spent a day at this hotel at their hot springs and their Club Rio, just to get away from our hotel.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in the heart of the tropical rainforest at the base of the majestic Arenal Volcano in the northern Region of Costa Rica. This five-star carbon neutral resort offers a unique blend of nature, adventure and relaxation. A member of The Leading Hotels of the World, Tabacon provides luxurious accommodations, services and amenities in a picture-perfect natural setting. The resort's unique healing thermal mineral spring river emerge from the volcanic earth, cascading to form waterfalls, streams, tranquil pools and ponds. Explore Shangri-La Gardens an hotel guests and adults-only hideaway, delight your senses with world- class cuisine inspired by local fares or surprise that special person with a gala dinner in the middle of the rainforest. Inside the gardens is the resort's Grand Spa, member of The Leading Spas of the World which combines a beautiful location with a singular spa experience, where treatments are rendered in open air bungalows all of them with private jacuzzi. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, TravelClick, DerbySoft Ltd Shanghai HQ, Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly, getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Tabacon Grand Spa Thermal Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Tabacon Grand Hotel Thermal
- Tabacon Grand Resort Thermal
- Tabacon Resort
- Tabacon Hot Springs
- Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos