“Not my favorite in the area”

Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort
Laguna Beach, California
“Not my favorite in the area”
Reviewed 21 May 2011

We stayed at Los Lagos for one night on our tour through Costa Rica. The room was rather dated and definitely nothing fancy. The grounds were ok. The pool is nice and has water slides that are fun. Some of the pools are hot springs and some are not. We did get to check out the crocodiles, butterflies, and frogs and that was a nice free addition if your staying at the hotel. I also liked the restaurant and had a nice dinner, but it was not cheap. Breakfast is included in the morning, which seemed to be typical at most hotels.

I think my main issue is that for the higher price charged here I thought the room was disappointing.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
Ra'anana, Israel
Reviewed 12 May 2011

You might get confused about this hotel, reading the mixed reviews. It's all about setting your expectations correctly. This is not the most luxurious or newest hotel in the Arenal area. For those you would pay about 3 times as much. For us, a family of 5, it means a difference between paying $240 a night at Los Lagos to about $700 in one of the fancier hotels. Now multiply it by 3 nights. Though I can afford it, I can't imagine what can justify this difference. My family felt Los Lagos was the most luxurious resort.
Another thing that got me confused is the fact that they have a "volcano lookout point". The thing is, you can see the volcano from just about anywhere in the resort: From the rooms and from the pool area. The lookout point is just a place closer to the volcano overlooking a lake where once people used to hike, but today is off limits because a few people were killed in an eruption.
There is no WiFi in the rooms. But there is at the pool area. If my teenagers, who are heavily addicted to their facebook, still liked the place, I guess anyone can cope with it.
We loved the cold and hot pools and the water slides. Hanged there every evening after our daily activities. Was not crowded when we were there (in April just before Samaná Santé)
Took the horseback riding tour and loved it. Beautiful views on the way.
Some of us had a massage at the Spa and liked it.
Service was good. They even checked the room as we were checking out. They found an old t-shirt and sneakers that we have left in the room and sent it down to us in the reception with the shuttle driver. Didn't have the heart to tell them we planned to throw them away..
Overall a great hotel for families!

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank NoPlaceLkeHome
Innisfail, Canada
Reviewed 29 April 2011

Los Lagos has swimming pools, slides, mineral pools, waterfalls, a butterfly house, crocodiles, frogs, horses and the most beautiful grounds. Just like a Garden of Eden. The Spa is just amazing and the girls working there were so good and so friendly. The food at the restaurant was exceptional, the service excellent and all the staff was very friendly and accommodating. Our room was large and very clean. Los Lagos also has a fantastic view of the Arenal Volcano. It is a large area, but there is shuttle service available. We chose to walk but everything is a distance and it is usually uphill, so make sure you have good, comfortable walking shoes. I was there with a friend and can't wait to go back and take my husband.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank JOner97
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Los Lagos has a very nice and large compound on high slope of the Arenal mountain with a spectacular view to Arenal, not to the active side though. The room are large and nice with comfortable beds, tv and aircondition, with very nice balckonies. the breakfast was OK . swimming pool was nice with excelent children facilitis.
We want to emphasize the staff - when we left the hotel i forgot my earing. I just found it when i arrived to Monte Verde. we called the hotel to check if they can find it.in the room. they called back to us a day afer and told us that they have found it, we didn't believe because the earing was tiny. We have asked them to send it to Monte Verde. 2 days later they send it with a driver that took tourist to Monte Verde, without any charge. we are greatfull to the staff in los lagos- we won't forget it.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Santa Rosa, California
Reviewed 27 April 2011

This is a huge sprawling resort. Our room was near the top of the property (room number in the 200's) and it is a steep, long walk. We drove down to restaurant, lobby (internet) and pools. There is a shuttle which is quick and easy as well, but we had no idea of the distance involved and would not have opted for it. The air conditioning is loud, but our room was very comfortable, the property is beautiful and we used all the pools at all times of day and night with no crowding problems. The water slides are very fast and intense, not for the timid. We lost a little skin on the biggest one. My son loved the swim-up bar. The restaurant was mediocre and way way over priced. It was the most expensive meal in a week in costa rica, even including other hotel restaurants. We liked the frog habitat but the crocodiles and fish tanks appeared inhumane and should be decommissioned. The staff was only marginally helpful, certainly didn't go out of their way to be helpful, which was not our experience elsewhere. We were in the area because of the volcano and were disappointed the top wasn't visable due to clouds during the time we were there. Just a warning to be careful what you promise your kids, since we never saw the glowing red lava at the top that all the view hotels seem to advertise.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Daphne B
St. Petersburg, Florida
Reviewed 24 April 2011

The first time we went to Los Lagos, we were staying at another B&B and the owner recommended it for hot tubs. We had such a great time we came back this year and spent the night there. I was slightly wary after reading the reviews, but I must say we had an amazing stay and next time I will stay longer.

I traveled with my husband and two children age 10 and 7. We loved the hot tubs (I think there are 8 and all different temperatures) and the slides. I think if you have kids, this is an outstanding place to stay. The only drawback was the overall price of the hotel, but it was worth it for us. Our room was large and had 2 comfortable queen beds. We didn't have an issue with bugs. It was near the caged animal area which we didn't spend much time in, but we found our rooms to be very conveniently located. Some of the rooms seemed very far away - unless you are on your honeymoon, I would request rooms closer to the hot tubs, etc.

We had read that the bar food was cheap and good, and I must agree we had a reasonably priced dinner. Breakfast at the main restaurant was wonderful - they had a lot of different dishes.

We did the hike up to the volcano and it was amazing - the view was incredible and when the clouds parted you could see the volcano and the steam - wow. If I go back, I will do the horseback ride as the horses seemed very well treated.

If you are a birder, I was surprised by the diversity of bird present. Not just hummingbirds and the usual, but also kites, hawks, and swallows enjoying the winds around the volcano.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Sternula
Melrose, Massachusetts
Reviewed 24 April 2011

Los Lagos is a resort and spa with thermal and regular pools. When we visited the pools were very crowded so we stayed away from them even though we would have loved to relax. The grounds are pretty and there are interesting habitats with frogs, ants, butterflies and crocodiles. The view of the Arenal volcano is spectacular and the hotel is situated to view both craters. The room was too tiny for the four of us. I don't think I've ever slept on such uncomfortable beds, especially for the cost of the stay. The air conditioning was loud and disruptive. The grounds are so expansive and the terrain so hilly that guests need to shuttle everywhere. It was an incredible inconvenience and not necessarily timely. The internet was unavailable all three days we stayed.
Some may love the spa and thermal pools, but neither feature was appreciated by us.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family