“Lot of Hot Springs”

Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort
Reviewed 22 September 2013

The site is very nice but remote from anything else, less than 10 minutes by car from La Fortuna. The ressort have many hot pool, some water slides, and also offer addtional activities like Ziplines for additional cost. I was really impressed by the small zoo. Of course it is not huge but for an hotel at this price, I spent a good hour (I'm slow to visit attraction) looking at crocodiles, plants, ants, butterflies and many colorful frogs. My daughter did not enjoy it because she does like frogs and it was rainy. The pools were short walking distance from our room but the site is big and you can have few minutes walk to get to them in hilly trails, good for legs. Room was very big but old style. We were a bit captive of the resort restaurant but it was good food and good variety of choices. Price are not cheap.

Room Tip: Make sure to look at site map to see where you want to be, it can be a good walk from front desk, po...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,514)

Reviewed 16 September 2013

Perhaps it was because we came to Los Lagos from an ideal Tico owned bed and breakfast, but this hotel left a lot to be desired. We came here for the kids and while I didn't expect it to be my favorite spot, I didn't expect to dislike it as much as I did. The numerous pools and slides looked like it would be great online.

Upon arrival, the staff lacked the warmth and enthusiasm we found everywhere else in Costa Rica. Very little eye contact. No smile. All business, but not necessarily in a hurry... I asked for a room close to the pools and the clerk said we could pay then she would look in to it. After we paid, she said we reserved a deluxe room and all the deluxe rooms were far from the pools.

Our room was okay. It was huge and clean. The one window was big and faced the road. The door at the back of the room opened to a beautiful view but for some reason, there were no windows facing that way. The room lacked light. No wi-fi in the rooms. Wi-fi is advertised in the restaurant/bar, but it was not working when we were there.

The pools were hot or cold. Nothing in between. 75 degrees or 90. They were quite dirty as well. Especially the small pools up the hill from the main pool. Muck floating on the surface. Paint was chipping off the pools revealing their age. A loud construction project was going on adjacent to the hot springs as well as near the restaurant. Stinky mud being overturned all day with large equipment and all the noise that goes along with construction. The slides are concrete, so a rashguard is recommended to decrease abrasions.

We enjoyed the ranario and the butterfly exhibits on site. The staff was particularly attentive during one of our visits and showed us all kinds of caterpillars, frogs, etc. That was a treat!

While I loved our accommodations in Samara, Monteverde, and Tortuguero, I did not care for Los Lagos. I would not stay here again. Also, we did not have a car and it too far to walk anywhere for meals, etc.

Room Tip: Deluxe room was huge.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank oregonfamily_4
Reviewed 14 September 2013

We had a Superior room on a mid week 2 night stay. The room was very nice, beds very comfortable. In the morning we had a little trouble with the shower faucet. Front desk was very quick to get someone out to fix it. The grounds are very beautiful and need to be explored. The road up to the Volcano Observatory was no problem for our 4WD. It's a good steep hike if you're in shape and you have the time (I'm not so much and didn't) but we did get out a few times on the way back down and would have missed the carpenter ants if we hadn't. The pools are amazing. The kids loved the water slides and being in the hot pool with the swim up bar at night while it was raining was an amazing experience for me and my girlfriend. The staff was always helpful and very professional. Many of the breakfast choices change every day and everything we tried was nice and tasty. WiFi worked in the restaurant and lobby. Plenty of room to sit and surf in the lobby. Aside from breakfast we ate in town. Plenty of good food there, not super cheap but reasonable. Don't miss the hanging bridges north of the hotel on the other side of the dam. It's $24 and takes a couple of hours to walk it all but it's amazing. Don't wear flip-flops but do wear your swimsuit for the waterfall. All together a very romantic AND kid friendly destination. We will definitely be back. Can't wait! Oh and the volcano is cool too. : )

Room Tip: The Superior rooms are a distance from the pools but the shuttle service is very good and the trail...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 September 2013

I've been to La Fortuna and Arenal numerous times over the past ten years but this is the first time I've stayed at Los Lagos. I assure you I won't be staying anywhere else in the future! Excellent accommodations, friendly staff, great food, super-clean, and the resort itself--gorgeous! This place is also very kid-friendly with a crocodile farm, butterfly gardens, zip-lining and some awesome water slides!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank phllymom
Reviewed 3 September 2013

Probably the best place to stay around the Vulcano Arenal.
It has almost all the activities such as horse back riding, Canopy ( Zipline) and Hot springs.
ATV tour is just a few miles away.

Room service and Hotel service is top notch

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 September 2013

We spent a few days here, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We felt safe, and relaxed. The rooms were fine, but the pools were fabulous. The water slides were so much fun, and it was nice to sit in the hot spring after a long day exploring. The majestic backdrop was so beautiful that I had to keep reminding myself it was in fact a real volcano behind me. I highly recommend this getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 August 2013

This was a wonderful place for our family to stay. The kids absolutely loved the thermal pools and slides. You do not have to leave the resort because there is a restaurant right there. They really need more options for eating there at the resort, but the food is DELICIOUS! So I really can't complain about that. There are some hiking opportunities on the resort itself which is nice. I would probably not take one of the tours offered there as you can go yourself and find something must less expensive. This hotel had great prices. Rooms were very large with trundle beds. WIFI ONLY IN THE LOBBY!!!! NOT IN YOUR ROOMS!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family