“Very Pleasant Stay!”

Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort
USA
“Very Pleasant Stay!”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I had the fortune of staying here for three nights in March, and I'm VERY happy with my experience! I found the hotel to be ideally situated for exploring the La Fortuna/Arenal area. The hotel/resort has PLENTY of things to do and see right there on its own property; however, I took advantage of several tours around the area. The one drawback for me was the absence of WiFi in my room. Although WiFi was readily accessible in public areas, it was a bit frustrating not having the convenience of access in my room. Otherwise, I really had no other complaints.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We had an amazing time here! Very private groundlevel accomodation with back patio with beautiful downhill view and front looking out on Arenal vulcano, newer clean bathroom and good beds. We loved the pool, slide and hotsprings, wonderful breakfasts and friendly staff. Property has beautifully maintained gardens, bird life and (captive) crocodiles. Driving distance from great restaurants in La Fortuna.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank LY2000
Kitchener, Canada
Reviewed 29 June 2014

The location is about the only nice thing about this place. This was my third time visiting the area and usually I stay at Baldi. I figured with a larger group I would give Los Lagos a go. The resort from the street looks amazing, but do not be too fooled.

I found that the service really was terrible. The hotel is super strict on checking in and out, yet if your room is not ready, such as ours, you have to wait longer to check in. A 3pm check in here is late and being asked to wait longer really is a burden. I figure if Check out is at 12:00, then 3 hours should be more than ample time to get a room ready.

Staff on the grounds are not that polite, with the exception of the bartenders. Other staff are not that accommodating. The activities are ok, we did the horse back riding and I had expected for the price that a 2 hour ride was a 2 hour ride, not an hour and fifteen minutes. Definitely do not get what you pay for in this location.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 29 June 2014

On or trip to Costa Rica we stayed at this hotel and it was an amazing experience for the whole family. The hot springs are just great and the pool area is great for the kids with a water slide. The grounds are really nice to walk around. We got the superior room and it was really nice and comfortable but we we hardly in it because we sent all the time on adventures.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was our first stop in Costa Rica and we loved it! The grounds are beautiful, the pools were great, slides were a lot of fun--but some too fast for us! Our room was way up the hill and took the van back and forth. It came pretty quickly after we called. Rooms are basic, but you don't come here for the rooms. We did have wifi in our room which was a plus. We found the staff to be friendly and accommodating. Ate in the restaurant quite a few times and service and food was good; prices not too bad. Free breakfast was good too. Did the horseback riding on site which was lots of fun, as well as the ziplining. Beware you have to brake yourself--the first run my daughter sort of crashed into the tree and was in tears. One of the guides very nicely went down the rest of the runs with her and saved the day--Thanks so much!!! Crocs, butterflies, etc were nice extras. Only negative--beds a little hard. All in all a great trip and would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank annmarie1004
Richmond
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The hotel grounds are well-manicured and the hot springs pools were the most outstanding features to me. They used concrete to landscape waterways, etc. instead of natural materials so it gives you the impression of a theme park versus a natural area. The price far exceeded the quality. There is no wireless internet service, or coffee in the rooms (or even in the lobby area) which is ridiculous for an area where it is grown. The staff acted like they couldn't care less whether you stayed or went. It was the worst service of any hotel I stayed at so far during my 12 days in Costa Rica. One bathroom light fixture (housing 3 lights did not work). The electricity went off during the night. The "nature" area and "trails" are pitiful. I saw three butterflies and two old crocodiles. The sun rises relatively early (between 5 and 6 am) and we were up by 6. We attempted to get coffee and the staff said the restaurant opened for the free breakfast at 7. We went to the lobby in search of coffee and none was there either. We asked the desk clerk and she gave us the 7 o'clock story. We asked if she had coffee that morning and she said she did. We asked where she got it and she said the restaurant. We went back to the restaurant and told the hostess and she went and asked the manager. They said it wasn't made even though the staff was drinking coffee. We left and went down the road and bought cups of coffee. We came back to the free breakfast. When they ran out of eggs I told them they were out. I went back 10 minutes later and they were still out. I told them again. Later, I went to get coffee there and they were out. The restaurant is horribly managed. We left that day and went to another area hotel. When checking out, the desk clerk asked how our stay was and when we described it, she did not seem very interested..

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else as there are better choices elsewhere.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Lucky1inVA
Boise
Reviewed 24 June 2014

My family of four loved this hotel. We'd stay here again in a heartbeat if ever back in La Fortuna. The grounds are lovely with many cool things like the crocodiles, butterfly, and frog exhibits. There is also a swinging bridge and ziplines. The best part was the the pools and waterslides. My kids loved these and used them extensively. One pool is cool water and the other is warm, fed by the hot springs. There is a swim up bar that seperates the two.
The staff was helpful and friendly. The restaurant was good and not overly expensive. The breakfast was awesome. The rooms were basic, but comfortable. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

1 Thank robkess