My husband and I visited Costa Rica for 10 days in February 2007, and our stay at the Cerro Chato was one of the highlights of our trip.
I was a bit nervous about booking this hotel, since it is slightly outside of La Fortuna, and we were traveling without a car. However, our lack of transport did not turn out to be a problem. From San Jose, we took a Grayline shuttle to La Fortuna. Unfortunately Grayline will not drop off right at the Cerro Chato (I think that Interbus might). The hotel is about a $2 - $3 cab ride to/from La Fortuna, although we frequently walked (it's a fair hike, at least 30 minutes). We brought a flashlight and felt totally comfortable walking at night. We booked a number of tours through the hotel, including a visit to Arenal National Park, a visit to Baldi hotsprings, and a visit to watch the lava flow at night. Each of these trips included transportation (and in some cases snacks!), and were very reasonably priced. We thoroughly enjoyed the company of Miguel (the owner), who frequently acted as our guide, and is very knowledgeable and passionate about the area. It was nice to stay in a community and have a chance to talk with a real Costa Rican family.
The rooms themselves were basic (but clean); be sure to bring your own toiletries and alarm clock. The price was excellent ($40 / night for two people, including breakfast). Breakfast, which was prepared by Miguel's wife Carmen, was delicious, and was served on a small patio with volcano view. Our room had a small veranda with table, chairs, and a hammock, which we loved. We spent a lot of time lounging in the hammock, which had a great view of the volcano.
All in all we had a great time, and will definitely return if we ever make it back to Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located at the base of the Arenal Volcano, Costa Rica (2.5 kms. from La Fortuna, on the road to Catarata Rio's Fortuna and only 15minutes by car from Tabacon's Hot Springs) with a spectacular view of the southeast side of the volcano, we have the advantage of being at a slightly higher altitude than La Fortuna, thus cooler. Also, we are off the main road enough to avoid the sound of grinding gears that are audible from almost all other hotels. The rooms are very spacious (32m2) with 1 double and 1 single bed, a large private bath with hot water, screened windows, ceiling fans, verandas with table and chairs, and landscaped grounds abundant with tropical flowers and birds. Full breakfast, available lunches, horse rental, laundry, internet service and secure parking lot. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Cerro Chato Eco Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cerro Chato Eco Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Cerro Chato Eco Lodge Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos