“Nice and Clean, Bad Restaurant”

Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa
Reviewed 10 September 2011

During our 2 weeks in Costa Rica, we stayed in Arenal for 2 nights. Our room was very clean, very spacious and extremely comfortable. The restaurant was awful to say the least, so heading into town for dinner would be a good idea. We took a taxi to Tabacon hot springs with our day pass (Highly recommend going there!! - Great Food / Drinks / Pools / Hot Springs).
The pool at the hotel was nice and clean and the front desk staff were very nice. We also used the Laundry service since it was halfway through our trip, it was about $23 to do 15-20 items. A little expensive, but very convenient.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Laura B
LUANVIVA, Manager at Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post your comment. My team and I really do appreciate your feedback to constantly benchmark ourselves and measure our service standards and to ensure that our guest’s expectations are met on each visit.

I can only apologize for the experience you had in the restaurant. We take our guests comments seriously and will look into this matter with the respective department head.

Once again, thank you for sharing your experiences with us and we look forward to welcoming you again in near future.

Reviewed 9 September 2011

It was low season and for $113 we got an upgrade for a ''suite''
The staff was very very helpful they speak good English.
Is nice is located near Tabacon and Baldi and other springs
The building needs a little bit of improvement but I say , I would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
LUANVIVA, Manager at Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 27 November 2011

Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for taking your time to provide us your feedback. It is through such feedback that we are able to serve our guest better.

We noticed that in general you enjoyed your stay except for the maintenance of your room. Our sincerest apology. Please be informed that corrective action will be taken to avoid similar situations in the future and to provide you with the best of our services.

Thank you for choosing to stay with Montaña de Fuego Hotel & and we are all looking forward seeing you again on your next stay with us.

If there is anyways that I can be of further assistance on your next visit, please do let me know: luis.villegas@montanadefuego.com

Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this hotel. The cabin had a great view of Arenal volcano, although, it was covered with clouds for most of the time. The cabin was well appointed and spacious. There were a lot of people staying at the hotel because we saw them in the morning having breakfast, but other than that, every time I went to the pool or to use the jacuzzi I was by myself. The receptionists and people working at the hotel are very nice, cheerful and helpful. They can arrange for activities for you and help you out with any traveling problems. The only complain I have is that 3 times, my husband and I came back to Montana de Fuego after some activities at about 4 or 5 in the afternoon and the room was still undone. We called and they came right away, but it wasn't pleasant to want to relax and take a shower and found the place all messy.
Breakfast was OK, but dinner at the hotel's restaurant was a disaster and the service terrible. Overall, I think Montana de Fuego was a good deal for the price we paid.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Icventure

Dear Guest,

Although I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed our service, staff and pool area during your visit, as well as our breakfast buffet in Acuarelas Restaurant, I am disappointed that we did not seem to have delivered exceptional service to you with the servicing of your room, for which I would like to apologize.

Please rest assured that every feedback is important to us and I have discussed the shortfalls that you have experienced with our Management Team.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

We stayed here for one night, hoping to see the volcano. We picked it on the recommendation of Fodors, they say it is their pick for the Arenal area. Very disappointing. Right off the bat, the desk clerk shortchanged me. Our room was just disgustingly dirty. The bathroom was filthy, the floors didn't appear to have been mopped in months. We wore our flip flops always. The paint is worn, both interior and exterior. The whole place is in need of a major facelift. We ate at the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. Both meals were dismally boring. Having stayed the night before at Villa Blanca really put this place in a bad light. What a shame, both the hotel and Fodors for recommending this dump.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank co-bikeman
LUANVIVA, Manager at Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 9 December 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time and effort in posting your feedback following your stay in our hotel.

Despite being disappointed that your experience with us was less than satisfactory, we are always grateful for honest comments that we can learn and improve from.

Customer Service is by far our number one priority and as such we have immediately taken steps to address the points you have raised. We have re-trained those concerned, as well as re-briefed the entire team to ensure that this is never repeated.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to demonstrate our normal high level of customer service to you in the future and we are truly sorry for any inconvenience we may have caused.

Reviewed 11 August 2011

We visited in 2007 and had a dreamy vacation so we decided to go back. Big mistake considering how many new hotels are now in the Arenal area. The rooms are depressingly dark, the small AC units don't work well and the bathrooms are mildly and unclean. Little to no help from the front desk or maintenance crews. The view is great and the breakfast buffet was good and the wait staff excellent. I recommend you look around for better, cleaner updated accommodations to spend your vacation time in one of the most special parts of Costa Rica.

• Stayed: September 2010
2  Thank lovetotravel33176

Reviewed 3 August 2011

For the price , it is a bargain. Building a house and staying in Costa Rica as Americans we can appreciate the expense and upkeep on a hotel like this. The staff is very friendly , the spa is passable because of the people, and the food is typical tico. There never were any towels in our room but really towels are not necessary. Tico time is not American time. It is more island time despite Costa Rica not being an island. To go to a place like Montano de Fuego you need to think more like a tico and less like an American. We are a spoiled bunch of kids. We used to rent out our house but we no longer do. It is too hard in the jungle to keep everything up and working for half the renters and torn up by the other half. I say the Montana de Fuego does a good job tico perfect but not American perfect. Unlike many of its competitors it is easy to find and not off a 4 wheel drive only dirt road.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comments which I was delighted to receive. I was pleased to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us. It is always very rewarding for my team and I to know that we have met your expectations.

Reviewed 30 July 2011

This hotel contracted for our transportation to the canopy tour they had on site. They arrived to pick us up 1 hour late and, worse than anything, the photographer did not take pictures or videos of our ziplining. When we asked him about it, he was extremely arrogant and said that we had never spoken with him directly. When we talked to the guide at the beginning of our tour he said to leave the cameras behind as they said photos were available at the end--we were taken to the hotel to view them. The guide blamed the hotel photographer, the photographer the guide, etc. No apologies from anyone. The staff was completely unhelpful. So glad we didn't stay with them.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank mrlum
LUANVIVA, Manager at Hotel Montana de Fuego Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 24 November 2011

Dear "mrlum",

Thank you for your review on Tripadvisor.com.

I deeply regret that you have not enjoyed your canopy tour, however I would like to inform you that Montana Tours and Montana de Fuego Hotel & Spa operate as different companies, I have already passed the message to those responsible about the tours and the neccessary actions have been taken to avoid similar occurances.

Luis Villegas