“Nice Stay, Great Value, Relaxing Place”

Volcano Lodge & Springs
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 5 October 2007

My friend and I stayed at Volcano Lodge in mid-September during the Low/Green/Rainy season for 3 days. This was my 2nd trip to Costa Rica. We picked Volcano Lodge based on the Tripadvisor reviews. Overall, great experience based on value, cleanliness, service.

The hotel is located between La Fortuna and the National Park. The units had double bed, was clean, no bugs, a quiet, nice A/C and safe with cable TV. Outside had chair viewing the volcano although it was frequently cloudy but we would stare an the many birds flying on the nice manicured grounds.

It came with buffet breakfast which was good. We also ate a couple of dinners at the restaurant there too, and it was solid. We thought Costa Rica food was mediocre overall, so the food at the rest. was no better or worst than other meals.

I saw a bunch of reviewers commenting on the rude or indifferent front desk. However, we did not find that to be the case. They booked all our trips, answered questions and gave us late checkout.

The hotel is not a 5 star hotel or anything, but for the price, the good, clean rooms, relaxing location, etc., I recommend for the value, and overall comfort of the hotel.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank TravelBugged33
Write a ReviewReviews (3,139)

Reviewed 31 August 2007

First of, let me say that the place is very well maintained. It is clean and comfortable. I also stayed in #211 and while you can see a gorgeous view of the volcano, it was explained to me by the staff that a few years ago, the volcano changed the direction in which the lava was spewing.

In order to get the chance to see the lava be prepared to have a car rental so that you can go to the base of the volcano. When we got there, we were surprised to find a ton of people doing the same thing. Many had paid to be part of a tour just to be driven there.

Back to the hotel...
The people who work in the back restaurant are very sweet as well as the guy that they send if you need anything. They are very professional. I did have a problem with a girl who I think doesn't even work there. I think she's the owner's girlfriend or something. When our room was being cleaned, I saw her come in also. She wasn't doing anything but standing there staring. I didn't think much of it until I went to check out the next day when she made a catty remark to the two guys at the reception desk. She said it loud enough for me to hear but when I turned around was a coward who couldn't look at me in the face. The other two guys just laughed like bafoons. Its just a lack of class.

The whole time I had been there, this woman had constantly been watching me. It was at that point that I realized that her coming into the room was just for the purpose of being nosey. I mentioned to my boyfriend what happened and he reminded me of the previous day's visit by her at our room. "She's just jealous", he said. 'I noticed it yesterday". The funny thing is that I hadn't until then. So beware if you have a thin, 18 - 21 year old with a big apple face and a small chin checking you out that this woman has a big inferiority complex. She just sits around and does nothing around the property.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank laughingoutloud7
Reviewed 20 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Volcano Lodge for 3 nights in August 2007. This is during their "green" (i.e. rainy season). We found this hotel to be very clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. The staff at the front desk was pleasant, but not overly helpful or cordial. They did speak English very well, which was helpful due to our limited Spanish. This hotel also offered a computer in the lobby with free internet access for customers, which was great.

There are 2 restaurants in this hotel, both of which have good food, a good variety, and also priced reasonably. The "international" restaurant down by the pool catches fresh fish out of Lake Arenal and serves it up each night (the tilapia was delicious!) The pool is also very nice and clean. We did not use any of the spa services, but those had a nice offering. The bonuses about the hotel room itself are: very spacious (2 beds), in-room safe (free to use), nice sized porch with two chairs with a perfect view of the volcano (although the lava was not flowing on our side at this time). We also very much appreciated the weather-stripping on the doors as we did not have one single bug in our room. My husband was also a big fan of the TV with English-spoken Sportscenter on nightly! TBS is also shown in English.

The biggest complaint about this hotel is that it is not within walking distance of anything. The town of La Fortuna is about a 6-7 minute taxi ride away and there you will find lots of shops, restaurants, an art gallery and a park. Definitely good to pass the time for one afternoon/evening, but not much more. The hotel did offer many tours (volcano/rainforest hike, ziplines, hot springs, hanging bridges, etc.) to make up for the lack of attractions in the area ... but those of course cost $$ per person. We also did not like that there was no gift shop or anything else, as we did not bring ponchos and had to go into La Fortuna to purchase them there. Overall, we liked this hotel and would stay there again. That being said, if we were to say in this area again, we would probably try to find a hotel of the same caliber in La Fortuna, simply because we got bored sitting at the hotel watching TV while it was raining outside and we could not do tours.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank 05/09/06
Reviewed 15 August 2007

We stayed at the Volcano Lodge for 2 nights. Overall, the hotel was clean and had lovely grounds. The included buffet breakfast was plentiful with fresh fruit, juice, assorted breads and meats and a made-to-order omelet station (don't forget your breakfast tickets when you go!). The view of the volcano from our verandah was breathtaking. The location is good for getting to different areas of LaFortuna -- just a short taxi ride. There was a computer available for Internet access in the front lobby which was useful. Wireless is also available in the lobby free of charge. The room was very clean and the maid made towel animals which our kids liked.

We ate at both restaurants while we were there and the food was very tasty and also a good value.

The only negative aspect in our stay was that the front desk staff were not very friendly or helpful. It seemed like asking questions of them was a nuisance rather than their job. Also, when we arrived, our luggage was put into a van and we were driven to our room which was literally about 20 steps away from the lobby (6 rooms away). Can you spell T-I-P?

We would stay here again if we were ever to visit LaFortuna again.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank kmbmommy
Reviewed 13 August 2007

Our family of 4 stayed at the volcano lodge and really enjoyed it. The cabins are spacious, clean and all have good views and pretty grounds. We'd stay here again.

Stayed: July 2007
3  Thank BostonTravelgirl63
Reviewed 12 August 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Volcano Lodge for two nights during our 10-days of travel around Costa Rica. We were pleasantly surprised by how wonderful this hotel was. Like other reviewers, we found this hotel was an excellent value for the money. Our room was large, very clean with a wonderful balcony and spacious bathroom. We only paid about $85 but if I didn't know and had to guess, I would have guessed more in the neighborhood of $130 from the looks of our room and the property.

The best thing about this hotel was that we had a fabulous view of the volcano. We were lucky because we were there on a clear day so we had a beautiful view the whole time. Although you could not see any action at night due to the location of the hotel (and most others), we were able to see some lava flow on our tour of the volcano which ended at dusk.

Although the front desk person was a little rude when we checked in, we found other service people at this hotel to be nothing but pleasant and helpful. We ate at the restaurant once for dinner and once for lunch and had good experiences both times. Although it was not cheap, the food was excellent so we got what we paid for. Our room was located a "stone's throw" from the restaurant so we couldn't beat the convenience. We also ate at the restaurant for breakfast. The buffet, included with the cost of the room, was delicious and extensive and even included made-to-order omlets. Much more than we ever expected.

The pool, located next to the restaurant (hence very close to our room), was nice. We spent a couple of hours there relaxing. My only complaint was that there were not a lot of shady areas near the pool and it got a bit hot after a while.

Overall, I would highly recommend this property. The grounds were beautiful, service good, room nice and we were more than comfortable during our stay there. My one "dislike" is probably that it felt a little too resorty/commercial/Gringo-y for our taste but that's just a personal preference. We tend to like more intimate B&B type places. With that said, if we visit LaFortuna again, we would definitely stay at this hotel.

You can book tours directly through this hotel and I don't think there is any mark-up (or mark-up is minimal). We chose to explore LaFortuna and find a tour company ourselves and ended up being very pleased with Jacamar tours. We did a 3:00pm Volcano Hike the day we arrived. The next morning, we did a "Safari" and then a night hike at 5:30pm. We had lots of time in the middle of the day to relax by the pool and in our room. We loved our guide and highly recommend this company in LaFortuna. We saw and learned lots that we never would have had we not paid for the tours...they were well worth the $$.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank SSMDcouple
Reviewed 17 July 2007

I found the room to be very clean and never once had to deal with insects. The bathroom was spacious and sanitized. The two double beds were clean and comfy. Each room has its own little porch with a rocking chair and our room had a great view of the volcano (although the hotel is situated on the side of the volcano where the lava does not flow). It was very peaceful and relaxing to sit on the porch in the morning and enjoy the scenary. The pool and jacuzzi were the cleanest, biggest and well kept of all the hotels we stayed at during our trip.

Breakfast is included with the room rate and while the buffet is not outstanding, it is still fairly good and they offer a wide variety of food and drink to choose from. They make great juice smoothies as well.

I would absolutely recommend this place to a friend or return on a future trip.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends