“Loved It!” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
New York City, New York
“Loved It!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2007

Stayed at the Volcano Lodge for three nights in mid-November. Unfortunately the weather was spotty (rainy, foggy) but expected still for that time of year.

Our stay at the Volcano Lodge was surprisingly enjoyable. Definitely not the five star hotel experience, but the service was excellent, room was clean, and the food was better in some respects (lots of variety, "local" food) than the super fancy places we were visiting throughout our trip. The only downside was the fact that you could hear everything in the rooms next to ours, down to conversations people were having to babies screaming, etc. But that was the only negative thing to report.

Definitely not a fancy experience, but roomy, clean, with excellent service. What more can one ask for?

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank relucanttraveler

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

Our driver recommended this place. The ample grounds are beautiful. You feel like you are in a huge resort and yet the cabin-style rooms are very spread apart. We stayed near the second pool where the nice complimentary breakfast was served. What a great setting and peaceful. A great value for these rooms considering the: beautiful grounds, clean and sizeable rooms, very helpful staff, and great location. Their nice lobby even had free computer access for internet and a game table. Last time we were in Arenal we stayed at Silencio Del Campo and although the rooms over there have more character, the grounds at Volcano Lodge are just so pleasant to experience and to walk around. Don't miss the outdoor spa tub near pool #2 as it is tucked away in a nice private setting. Only negative comment I have (and it was not a big deal) was that the servers at the restaurant near pool #2 are very slow and a bit clueless. We ate there 3 times and was consistent.

• Liked — Pleasant grounds, sizeable rooms, and overall how peaceful it was
  • Disliked — None
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TravelGuy75
Corvallis, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 December 2007

The sound of rocks flying down the mountain side at night are amazing. You actually can see fire and lava from your balcony! Freakin' amazing!

Stayed April 2004
1 Thank TravelMaster9000
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2007

We spent 3 nights @ the Volcano Lodge and I must say, the workers are very nice and professional. We stayed in the 300 series rooms which is about a 5-7 minute walk from the lobby but you can ask the front desk to send the golf cart to pick you up if you don't like walking.

The rooms are very clean and safe. They have a safe in each room to store passports, money, valuables etc. There's also a porch in the back where you can relax after a long day of tours. We didn't get to see the Volcano cause it was cloudy pretty much all the days we were there.

There are 2 restaurants at this hotel, one in the front (by the lobby) and one in the back (by the swim up pool). We had lunch at both and I liked the one in front the best.

I would definetely stay at the Volcano Lodge again!!

• Liked — Clean, Staff VERY knowledgeable and friendly
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank famoussd
Mankato, MN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2007

I stayed at Volcano Lodge and was very happy with my decision to do so. I was impressed with how clean the grounds and rooms were. The staff was excellent and helpful. The rooms were nice and the best part was the patio outside. Great view of the Arenal Volcano! The pool was relaxing and I plan on coming back here with my children. Volcano Lodge and the Arenal area are perfect for a family vacation.

• Liked — Value - greate rooms for the price!
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed May 2006, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank BlueDoug
Bay Area, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2007

My friend and I stayed at Volcano Lodge in mid-September during the Low/Green/Rainy season for 3 days. This was my 2nd trip to Costa Rica. We picked Volcano Lodge based on the Tripadvisor reviews. Overall, great experience based on value, cleanliness, service.

The hotel is located between La Fortuna and the National Park. The units had double bed, was clean, no bugs, a quiet, nice A/C and safe with cable TV. Outside had chair viewing the volcano although it was frequently cloudy but we would stare an the many birds flying on the nice manicured grounds.

It came with buffet breakfast which was good. We also ate a couple of dinners at the restaurant there too, and it was solid. We thought Costa Rica food was mediocre overall, so the food at the rest. was no better or worst than other meals.

I saw a bunch of reviewers commenting on the rude or indifferent front desk. However, we did not find that to be the case. They booked all our trips, answered questions and gave us late checkout.

The hotel is not a 5 star hotel or anything, but for the price, the good, clean rooms, relaxing location, etc., I recommend for the value, and overall comfort of the hotel.

• Liked — Value, Location, View
  • Disliked — Need Taxi to La Fortuna
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
2 Thank TravelBugged33
LA, CA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2007

First of, let me say that the place is very well maintained. It is clean and comfortable. I also stayed in #211 and while you can see a gorgeous view of the volcano, it was explained to me by the staff that a few years ago, the volcano changed the direction in which the lava was spewing.

In order to get the chance to see the lava be prepared to have a car rental so that you can go to the base of the volcano. When we got there, we were surprised to find a ton of people doing the same thing. Many had paid to be part of a tour just to be driven there.

Back to the hotel...
The people who work in the back restaurant are very sweet as well as the guy that they send if you need anything. They are very professional. I did have a problem with a girl who I think doesn't even work there. I think she's the owner's girlfriend or something. When our room was being cleaned, I saw her come in also. She wasn't doing anything but standing there staring. I didn't think much of it until I went to check out the next day when she made a catty remark to the two guys at the reception desk. She said it loud enough for me to hear but when I turned around was a coward who couldn't look at me in the face. The other two guys just laughed like bafoons. Its just a lack of class.

The whole time I had been there, this woman had constantly been watching me. It was at that point that I realized that her coming into the room was just for the purpose of being nosey. I mentioned to my boyfriend what happened and he reminded me of the previous day's visit by her at our room. "She's just jealous", he said. 'I noticed it yesterday". The funny thing is that I hadn't until then. So beware if you have a thin, 18 - 21 year old with a big apple face and a small chin checking you out that this woman has a big inferiority complex. She just sits around and does nothing around the property.

• Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple