We decided to have dinner at the Volcano Lodge where we ate at the night before and had a fine time this was a TERRIBLE experience. With all of the lobsters people were eating last night we asked if they had some. The server said they did, but it’s not on the menu and he came back to tell us that it was $40 USD. Ok, that’s how much it costs in the States. We were going to go for it, but then some other guy (who seemed to be managing everyone) came to us and said that the lobster was $60! Excuse me, the other guy just said it was $40. So the he proceeded to negotiate with us and said he’d give it to us for $50. After seeing our frustration at the audacity he proceed to try to sell us their “Christmas Banquet” – a price fixed menu that had the option for lobster. Whatever, we didn’t want to pay $65 for a Christmas cafeteria meal! So, without having a car, we were a bit stuck and wasted their time by taking another 15 minutes (furious) ordering.
After placing our order – shrimp with fruit and pork tenderloin and waiting to try to think positive in spite of being angry. I see that a colorful plate that could have been mine is being served to a table away from us, we were here first yet their were getting their food before us – hmmm. I’m watching as they enjoy their food, that REALLY looked like mine. And when we are being served our food, which in fact was their food, I pointed out their error. They take our food to the back. They picked up my shrimp from the woman that was already 4 minutes into eating it and take it away. I guess they decided to let the husband keep the pork he was already digging into it. Then I see them 2 minutes later try to serve me THE SAME FOOD that the woman had already eaten from and give my husband the other man’s right food. Of course I’m livid at this point, and they play stupid not understanding the English that I’m saying even though they very well know what happened – how they were trying to serve me food that was half eaten, I saw them take it away and give it to me. And the ‘manager’ who tried to rip us off on the lobsters asked what we wanted. We said, we wanted our right food. He said, our kitchen is very busy and he was protesting doing so because they had too much to do in there and if we wanted a Christmas lobster instead. UGH. Needless to say we left. Definitely no pura vida in this place, they were jerks (I have more chioce words that I will keep)! And the sad part is, this really sticks out in our mind when we remember what should have been a great adventure.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At VOLCANO LODGE AND SPRINGS, located in La Palma, La Fortuna de San Carlos, at the foot of the majestic Arenal Volcano, our hot springs and lush tropical garden gives you joy and relaxation to our guests and companions. Undoubtedly, our location allows you to witness the imposing Arenal Volcano from a vantage point. QUALITY SERVICE: Knowing that service is the main reason of hospitality, the Volcano Lodge & Gardens’ team, will do our best to make your stay a very fond memory to take home. FACILITIES: All our 66 rooms are Superior and non smoking, have deluxe finishes, 2 comfortable full size beds or 1 king size bed, TV/cable, telephone, air-conditioned, coffee maker, hot water shower, hairdryer and a nice terrace facing the Volcano. We also offer 4 rooms for handicap. RESTAURANT:Sura Restaurant, capacity: 120 people, we’ll be offering you our traditional local and international food, while you enjoy the majestic view of the volcano, birds surrounded nature. You can ask for room service too. OTHER FACILITIES: *Two swimming pools for adults, two swimming pools for children and two Jacuzzis, all of them with view to the Volcano.*Laundry service, Private parking, Internet Access / Wireless Free, Tours information, nature trail, Playground.* Massages Service from 9 am to 9 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, HotelQuickly, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Volcano Lodge & Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano Lodge And Gardens
- Volcano Lodge & Gardens Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Volcano Hotel
- Volcano Lodge & Springs Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos