What a gem! We booked this hotel through a Costa Rican website and I have to say, this hotel was a most pleasant surprise! We loved the landscape, the views, the staff. We felt extremely safe the entire time. Their breakfast buffest was delicious, generous and best of all, included in the price of the room.
On day 1, our 8 year old son went exploring behind our hotel room. There is a vegetable garden as well as several fruit trees. My son made friends with a little girl staying next door and one of the gardeners gave them guayabas, limes and sugar cane which he even cut for them to eat on the spot.
My son promptly took his guayabas over to the restaurant by the pool and asked the bartender to make him a drink which he did free of charge. The maids made masterpieces out of our towels each day and it was a pleasure to get back to our room each night.
The only issue we had, which was really just a minor inconvenience, was booking a tour to the hot springs through the on-site agency that the hotel has. The young woman booked us for the wrong date so the shuttle bus showed up the day before. She said that she corrected the mistake but the next day our shuttle bus did not show up at the slotted time. After working with the reception desk to fix the problem (because the on-site agent wasn't there), the shuttle arrived and took us to our destination. All in all, we only lost about 40 minutes, but the hot springs are booked in 4 hour increments. Eco Termales was so serene, and very private and secluded. Another interesting and pleasant touch was that they don't keep tabs of what you drink. When you check out, you tell them what you had and they charge you. And the drink prices were fairly reasonable for the area.
Oh, another small thing was that the phones weren't working for outgoing calls in the hotel rooms so I had to walk to the reception to use their phone. It was a nice little walk. Also, there is no local bus so if you want to go to town, and you should, it will cost around $6 each way.
One word of caution: My husband and son went exploring behind the hotel and encountered a Pit Viper in the river! It was one of the most memorable parts of our trip. Very scary!
The restaurant food was good and fairly reasonable also. There is not a whole lot of variety in town so not really worth it to go into town to eat, but great to go for shopping and just walking around. And of course you must go to the volcano. Otherwise, why go to Arenal?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At VOLCANO LODGE AND SPRINGS, located in La Palma, La Fortuna de San Carlos, at the foot of the majestic Arenal Volcano, our hot springs and lush tropical garden gives you joy and relaxation to our guests and companions. Undoubtedly, our location allows you to witness the imposing Arenal Volcano from a vantage point. QUALITY SERVICE: Knowing that service is the main reason of hospitality, the Volcano Lodge & Gardens’ team, will do our best to make your stay a very fond memory to take home. FACILITIES: All our 66 rooms are Superior and non smoking, have deluxe finishes, 2 comfortable full size beds or 1 king size bed, TV/cable, telephone, air-conditioned, coffee maker, hot water shower, hairdryer and a nice terrace facing the Volcano. We also offer 4 rooms for handicap. RESTAURANT:Sura Restaurant, capacity: 120 people, we’ll be offering you our traditional local and international food, while you enjoy the majestic view of the volcano, birds surrounded nature. You can ask for room service too. OTHER FACILITIES: *Two swimming pools for adults, two swimming pools for children and two Jacuzzis, all of them with view to the Volcano.*Laundry service, Private parking, Internet Access / Wireless Free, Tours information, nature trail, Playground.* Massages Service from 9 am to 9 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Volcano Lodge & Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano Lodge And Gardens
- Volcano Lodge & Gardens Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Volcano Hotel
- Volcano Lodge & Springs Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos