We loved this hotel! I had read so many good things about it online and it exceeded our expectations in every way. The check-in process could have been a nightmare, as I had mistakenly reserved the wrong dates 5 months previously. The desk clerk was extremely helpful, he managed to straighten out the reservation and give us a beautiful room in about 10 minutes. Offering us delicious cups of fresh juice while we waited was a very nice touch.
Our room was beautiful, very large, with heavy wooden furniture, a coffee maker with the best coffee we ever had during our stay in Costa Rica, a spacious bathroom, and a private patio with rocking chairs and table. The patio has an overhang, so even during the tropical downpours, we were able to sit outside and marvel at the gorgeous foliage, the hummingbirds, and of course, the volcano! Which, due to the rain, was only clearly visible on 1 day, but it was a spectacular sight.
The grounds of the hotel are spotless, with luxurious landscaping and paths to the pool areas and restaurants, and a nice walking trail. Our room was only a few doors down from the reception area, which made it extremely convenient to access the complimentary computers/internet access as well as what turned out to be our own private pool and jacuzzi. In the 4 days we were there, not another soul ever used the ones near our end of the hotel. The kids pool and swim up bar pool were at the other end of the resort. We were also right near the more casual of the two restaurants.
The restaurant that served the included buffet breakfast was outstanding. A full hot buffet, with an omelet station, fresh fruit, rice 'n beans, fried plantains, french toast/pancakes, muffins, juices, cereal, etc. We started every morning with about 3,000 calories each. The waiters were always helpful and super friendly. We ate most of our dinners here as well, which were always excellent. The restaurant prices were higher than we expected, but in line with US prices and there was always more food than we could finish. The "pizza" dinner rolls were amazing! Which explains why we could never finish our meals ;)
The hotel can arrange any activity for you, and the front desk staff was very helpful in making phone calls for me when I rescheduled a particular activity 3 times due to heavy rain. Don't miss the Sky Trek Canopy Zip Line tour. Be sure to use the original Sky Trek/Sky Tram tour, as they have the best zip line in all of Costa Rica - there are 8 lines, and several are half a mile long!
The hotel isn't exactly within walking distance of anything, and it's about a $10 cab ride each way into La Fortuna if you have the hotel call one. I found out later that the cabs that park near the church in La Fortuna would have been a little less expensive, but plan to spend quite a bit on transportation if you don't have a car. There is no bus service from La Fortuna to the outlying hotels, and the road is hilly. It would be a good 4 mile hike each way, but the sidewalks stop just at the edge of town, so walking could be a bit dangerous with the traffic.
Our housekeeper made adorable towel animals for us every day, and left extra coffee packets. I was worried about exotic insects in the room but the most interesting thing we saw was a small black caterpillar. There is a mango tree at the entrance to the property, and a local toucan visited several times a day to eat the fruit, attracting quite a crowd.
We were sad to leave this wonderful, friendly, beautiful place but had a great experience in Manuel Antonio too. We loved our trip to Costa Rica and the Volcano Lodge, and look forward to coming back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- At VOLCANO LODGE AND SPRINGS, located in La Palma, La Fortuna de San Carlos, at the foot of the majestic Arenal Volcano, our hot springs and lush tropical garden gives you joy and relaxation to our guests and companions. Undoubtedly, our location allows you to witness the imposing Arenal Volcano from a vantage point. QUALITY SERVICE: Knowing that service is the main reason of hospitality, the Volcano Lodge & Gardens’ team, will do our best to make your stay a very fond memory to take home. FACILITIES: All our 66 rooms are Superior and non smoking, have deluxe finishes, 2 comfortable full size beds or 1 king size bed, TV/cable, telephone, air-conditioned, coffee maker, hot water shower, hairdryer and a nice terrace facing the Volcano. We also offer 4 rooms for handicap. RESTAURANT:Sura Restaurant, capacity: 120 people, we’ll be offering you our traditional local and international food, while you enjoy the majestic view of the volcano, birds surrounded nature. You can ask for room service too. OTHER FACILITIES: *Two swimming pools for adults, two swimming pools for children and two Jacuzzis, all of them with view to the Volcano.*Laundry service, Private parking, Internet Access / Wireless Free, Tours information, nature trail, Playground.* Massages Service from 9 am to 9 pm. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Volcano Lodge & Springs reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Volcano Lodge And Gardens
- Volcano Lodge & Gardens Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Volcano Hotel
- Volcano Lodge & Springs Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos