“Overpriced”
Review of Hotel Faro Arenal

Hotel Faro Arenal
Reviewed 29 January 2014

We just came back from Fortuna would never stay again!They charged 125.00 for three people with two beds.Its far from town you can't walk to the centre of town.The owners wife asked us what we would like for breakfast,and then next day served some scrambled eggs.Then she sat down and ate gallo pinto that we ordered.Also had a makeup bag vanish when we went out for dinner???Door was locked!We stayed in a beautiful place the next day 90$ on the Main Street ,food was included,service great,mini fridge real hot water not a suicide shower.I would not pay more than 10$ each to stay at this place!!!

Room Tip: Go anywhere else
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 26 January 2014

We stayed 2 nights while in Arenal. The cabin was super clean and had all that we needed. A/C, hot water, cable TV, wifi. Our unit did not have a mini fridge, but others might. The are rustic cabins, we enjoyed hearing the wild life just outside. Breakfast was awesome in the outdoor dining area with the birds. We booked on booking.com and they did not get our reservation, but accommodated us anyway. We really appreciated that. Rafael said they get the Expedia bookings. The family is very friendly, and helpful. Rafael speaks a good amount of English. We would definitely stay again and would recommend it to others. To get there, turn at the Super Christian #4 and follow the road until the pavement ends and go right at the fork. There will be a sign and the Cabinas are on the right.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank alison d
Reviewed 8 January 2014

We stayed for two nights as part of a mini-getaway to the Arenal area. The cabins are nice and have a mini-fridge and a/c. They are constructed with single board walls so if your neighbors (or crickets) are loud you might want to bring ear plugs if that sort of thing bothers you. Their property is nice and well kept with an eating area and some interesting furniture and guitar provided. My kids also liked that they feed the birds and we saw lots of colorful birds come in while we ate including the neighborhood rooster. Breakfast is homemade right on the spot and while nothing fancy was tasty nonetheless.

The hosts are very gracious but do not speak a lot of English so if you aren't fluent in your Spanish it might be hard to extra a lot of information from them. However, we used the free wifi and found everything we needed to get around town.

All in all this is a nice place to stay, I'd recommend it. If you happen to get a clearing of the clouds that seem to permanently reside around Arenal you will have a great view from here!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I stayed in Cabinas Faro Arenal my first three nights out of seven in Costa Rica with two other friends. I had a front view of the volcano which was amazing. In fact out of my whole experience in Costa Rica Rafael and Rosa Maria made it memorable for me. I loved hearing about Arenal, how Rafael and Rosa Maria started the place. They were very kind to us and anything that we needed they were very attentive into helping us, Rafael was also very informative in places to go and places to see and stay. I loved Arenal and recommend anyone to stay there, they are very humble people along with their kids.Very calm, peaceful place with nature, all kinds of beautiful birds in the property as well . In my mind when I think of Faro Arenal I won't forget every morning a good welcome, the amazing breakfast that they would prepare for us and listening to Rafael playing me songs in his guitar. I love acoustic and by the way Rafael has an amazing talent. Listen to him.Bonus!!
I got to talk to Rafael about what he does and how he tries to help preserve the ecological system, saving the monkeys and making their environment less threatening with the electrical elements in the area of their habitats, working with the government to make it safer.
Overall they know how to take care of their customers, when I do return to Costa Rica Arenal will be in my list and stay with Rafael and Rosa Maria once again. Very good experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed in for two nights and had a great time.
The place is quite, clean and comfortable.
The owners are kind and very helpful.
The location is very good for travellers who seek for places away from the big tourist groups. It's close to town center and to all other places around la fortuna.
The place also offers tasty breakfast.
Enjoy....we did!

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 7 July 2013

I didn't want to leave Cabinas Faro Arenal! I can't imagine a nicer, more friendly and generous couple than Rafael and Rosa Maria, who began this place about eight years ago (and whose sons were around to help serve breakfast and do other tasks). They gave wonderful advice about visiting Volcan Arenal and Cerro Chato and the waterfall, made delicious food for breakfast, and even drove us to the National Park and the hiking point for Cerro Chato to save us from the expense of a taxi--something they certainly didn't have to do!

The view from the cabins is breathtaking--Volcan Arenal seems close enough to walk out and hike right up. I kept wanting to spend more time at the cabinas so that we could lounge at the pool, with its picturesque palms, and barbecue on the little grills scattered around the grounds. The cabins are clean and comfy, with hot water for showers and televisions with plenty of channels. The WiFi is free and strong enough that we were able to stream a show on Netflix. There's even air conditioning. And because the cabinas aren't right in La Fortuna, the place has a harmonious tranquility. I enjoyed reading in the sun while lounging in chairs cleverly made from recycled tires (very artistic) and wandering among the plants and trees that Rafael has grown. We saw all kinds of butterflies and birds, including hummingbirds.

All in all, a wonderful place to stay, and I feel really lucky to have found it!

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2013

We spent one night at Cabinas Faro Arenal in January 2013. The hotel we had booked was unavailable for one night so we were transferred here. The owners, Rafael and Rosa Maria, have been building the place for years, they told us, and are now running it full time. We also met one of their sons. Our room had one double and two single beds, which was great for our family of four. There was air conditioning and a hot shower. I think there are 8 cabinas, so it was a pretty quiet place. When we woke up in the morning, the volcano was in clear view and we could see it from the breakfast table. The breakfast was really fantastic, one of our favorites on our whole trip. The gardens were very pretty too. We went for a swim in the pool, which was nice since our other hotel did not have a pool. Faro Arenal is pretty close to the road to Catarata la Fortuna so we drove up there and hiked down to the waterfall before returning to check out. Even though we also liked our original hotel, we were a little sad to have to leave! The owners of this place were so friendly and helpful. Highly recommended!

Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family