“Not Praise Worthy” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Palo Verde Resort

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Palo Verde Resort
Omaha, NE
“Not Praise Worthy”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2008

Palo Verde resort was a disappointment to my family. We had planned our trip early, booking this resort in October. Upon sending out a confirmation email, the manager appraised me of a situation in that a large group was coming and may be a little noisy during our first night there. He offered to book us into another nearby resort, but a week from our departure date, I hadn't received a response back. I then email telling him we would continue with our original plans and we wouldn't let the noise bother us. Upon our arrival, the staff member seems confused and went to get another staff person to assist. They informed us that we didn't have a reservation. I asked to speak with the manager and I heard several excuses that he was busy or away. Finally he did come and apologized for the error. The staff did find us another place to stay, the Susteo, which was very nice and similar in price. The manager begged for us the return to his resort the following evening and promised us his best room at no cost. If that was his best room, I would hate to see his worst.... only the price was right. There was no hot water, the rugs on the floor were stained and dirty, and scarred with cigarette burns. The beds uncomfortable and the room poorly lit. The pool was murky and those clientele occupying the pool seemed to be a different sexual orientation. On a positive note, I did have a great view of the volcano and the birds around the pool were entertaining.

• Liked — VolcanoView
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family

Seattle, WA
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2008

My husband and I stayed at Palo Verde resort and the first night we spent at the hotel our room was broken into - our day packs were stolen along with our passports, credit cards, and cash. We were horrified to learn that we were probably sleeping when this happened. The tile windows of the room were removed, which allowed for a large enough space for the items to be taken from our room. We believe the room was setup prior to our arrival, since we did not hear anything. The morning of the incident the only person onsite was a young (16 year old or so) boy at the counter, no security. The owner was called soon after the report and he arrived to inform us that he was not even aware there were people at the resort, and that since it was low season they normally did not have any security onsite– they would monitor personally at night, yet there was only a 16-year-old boy onsite that night. I could not believe the low level of security! Also, there was no safe box in the rooms and the desk safe box was never offered to us on our arrival. I do have to say that the owner did all he could to help us get back to our trip – offered us a free nigh stay (yet did not reimburse the prior nights fee) also provided us with some cash to get back to san José to get to the us embassy, and arranged and paid for the fee of a private driver to take us to the San Jose and to the US embassy. I can’t help but wonder if the employees were in on it!!! Needless to say our trip was not the same after that experience. Some suggestions for people with rental cars – we learned, at the US embassy, that a trick these thieves use is to slash the tire of a rental car, while people are having lunch, etc. and then they follow the vehicle offer to help change the tire, and while the attention is on the tire another person removes the luggage and personal items from the car. All I can say is – be careful!!! I know this experience will absolutely not stop us from traveling, but has made us safer travelers … I will always double-check my room windows, and I suggest you do the same. I hope this experience does not discourage you from experiencing Costa Rica - my only goal is to offer some advise so that you can be a safer traveler!!!

• Stayed May 2007
4 Thank porelmundoviajando
genestours, Gene Conti..................Owner at Palo Verde Resort, responded to this review, 10 January 2008
I am writing in response to a review dated January 8, 2008. Although, unfortunately, one of our cabins was broken into and valuables stolen, I would like to set the record straight. Upon becoming aware of the breakin, we immediately called both the municipal police and the OIJ (Federal Police) to investigate. Both agencies arrived and investigated the breakin, providing written reports to the victims. Also omitted from the narative was the fact that the guests had gone to La Fortuna the night of the incident and arranged an unlicensed tour for the next day with someone who dropped them off the night before, not in Palo Verde, but mysteriously past the entrance of the resort. Fortunately the victim had the card of this "pirate" taxi and this information was likewise passed on to the police, who stated that they knew of this person. I do not blame the victims at all, they were two wonderful people, who experienced a horrible trauma. I did everything within my power to make things right, but one must be careful when dealing with unlicensed, people, who are offering "low cost" tours. We provide tour bookings at the reception, with totally reputable companies and provide endless advise to all guests about the "do's and don'ts of your Costa Rica visit. As regarding security. We all live on the premises, and there is always someone here 24/7. The staff has worked here for years and they are the best, most honest and hardworking people I have ever known. Our cabins have since been retrofitted with security bars. We take the security, comfort and the well being of our guests very seriously and the vast majority of our guests enjoy their experience here. As any good hotel owner, I tried my best to help these victims, we fed them, gave them cash, called the US Embassy and assisted them in getting a same day passport, provided them with transportation and a personal driver the next day, to go to San Jose and wait at the US Embassy, until they received their new passports and then take them to their next hotel. Bad things ocassionally happen, often through the fault of no one and not exclusively in Costa Rica. We can only hope that it does not happen to us. Thank you for the opportunity to respond, respectfully.....Gene
San Diego
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2007

I think if the owners spent a little more $$ or even charged a little more per room and took care of some items, it would be a more pleasant place. Entrance is dirt road. We had two rooms: beds really uncomfortable. Bed spread and rugs were soiled, rooms dark and confining. Also, unfortunately the the dirt road backs up to the rear of the rooms so you can feel the room vibrate (as well as hear) when the trucks go by. Did not understand why a portion of the curtains were ripped off the hooks and not repaired. Bathroom wall had hole behind toilet and some other unattractive deferred maintenance items. Like I said....if they put a bit of $$ into the places it would show and feel much better. Grounds are very limited.

• Liked — Unfortunately nothing
  • Disliked — Felt uncomfortable due to items listed
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TravelGuy75
Mooresville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2007

We had a wonderful experience at Palo Verde Resort. Larry (one of the owners) welcomed us even though we arrived about 4 hours later than planned. He showed us around this beautiful property and directed us to our rooms. Two of our grown sons with us in their early 20s stayed up to enjoy the pool, but since the volcano was covered in clouds we went on to bed; but not for long because the clouds cleared and one of our sons came to our door with great excitement to tell us he could see red lava at the top of Arenal. The next day we enjoyed a tour set up by Larry that included a hiking on an older lava flow on the volcano and ended with a visit to Baldi Hot Springs. We were scheduled to leave the next day, but my wife fell ill so Larry said don't worry about it we have the room so we stayed another night. The next day she felt better and after taking our sons to the waterfalls at La Fortuna (another great site; don't miss it.). We said our goodbyes to Larry and left to go to the Central Pacific Coast. We we were about 2 hours away I discovered I had left all of my cash (hundreds of dollars) in the room...OHHH...[-]....!!!!! Well once again I used a phone at a gas station and called Larry. Well now this was just over the top again. Larry found the cash I had left hidden in the room and promptly went to the bank and deposited the money into our Costa Rican Bank account. Wow! All I can say is Thanks Larry! That cash was for our charter fishing trip in Quepos and we would not have had that experience if Larry had not been there once again for us.

Bottom line, Great People, Great Place. We will be back!

• Liked — Pool and view of the volcano
  • Disliked — Road a bit close to cabins
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family
4 Thank Bobsoilman
Miami, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2007

My boyfriend and I stayed int his resort overnight. We really didnt get to see much, but the little time that we stayed we experienced a great staff that helped us save money with tours and helped us out with directions. The hotels does have a great view of the Arenal Volcano.

1 Thank sweetladie326
Miami, FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2007

First and foremost this resort is in a great location. The staff is real friendly and helpful. Larry recommended me to Baldi Hot Springs as oppsed to Tabacon Hot Springs (which I did on my previous trip), we saved a lot of money especially when you pay for a voucher through Larry. Baldi is right around the corner and nicer than Tabacon with better views of the volcano. The room has a mini-fridge with beer, soda and snacks, a TV and finally a HOT shower! The view of the volcano right outside your doorstep is AWESOME! The pool is nice. Larry is the coolest resort owner I have ever known. The grounds are beautiful. I would definitely recommend this everyone staying in or around Arenal. Thanks for the great times Palo Verde!

• Liked — View and staff
  • Disliked — Barely visible signs on the streets
2 Thank rogermas
Washington DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2007

First time in Costa Rica, and La Fortuna was our first place that we've visited during out 7 day trip. We spent three nights at Palo Verde. We would like to thank Larry and his staff for taking such great care of us. Larry let us spent one night in a honeymoon suite, with no charge and the rest of the time we spent in a regular cabin, which was just as nice, only slightly smaller. We also did the Star Treck Zip lines, again, Larry's recommendation and we were so glad that we did! In town they will try to sell you other tours..but this one by far is the best! We loved our stay and the location worked out great, since we didn't have a car. The staff called us a cab whenever we needed it and the ride was less than $5 into town and $1 to Baldi Hot Springs. We miss waking up to the beautiful view of the volcano every morning and cannot wait to come back! Thanks for everything!!
Natalya and Brian, Washington DC
p.s. make sure to get lunch at one of the soda's in town for lunch, best meal for $2 you can find!

• Liked — The owner
2 Thank Wantogothere