“Nice place and good location”
Review of Arenal Volcano Inn

Arenal Volcano Inn
Reviewed 20 January 2007

I stayed at the Arenal Volcano Inn in December 2006. The staff was very nice and the food in the restaurant was great. I didn't LOVE the rooms as others did. I actually found them a bit big and cold. Unfortunately (as I hear is common), it was overcast while I stayed there, so I didn't get to see the lava show. But the area was beautiful, and I was able to see and do many things (canopy, waterfall rappelling, hiking at the National Park).

I took a shuttle from San Jose to Arenal and I got sick on the way there, so for the remainder of my trip, I took flights to my destinations. This is the way to go! A short flight and I was from LaFortuna to Quepos. Another short flight, and I was back in San Jose. I would never do it differently.

When I was booking my trip, I was comparing the Arenal Volcano Inn to the Arenal Springs Inn (a newer property with fewer reviews). I picked the Arenal Volcano Inn because of the great reviews, and while I certainly have nothing BAD to say about the Arenal Volcano Inn, I'm not convinced that I wouldn't stay anywhere else next time.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank AvidSaver

Reviewed 20 January 2007

Good:
We loved this place, and we in fact have been recommending it to friends that also were in Costa Rica. We booked through Vacation City, and paid about $100/night. The location is great - about a 10 minute taxi ride into the city (about $5). The service was wondering - they even made us a breakfast to go the night before we had to leave on an early morning! The pool area and gardens are really nice, too. The rooms were very clean, and the room was really nice! The BEST part, was the view of the lava from the volcano, which we watched as we layed in bed. Can't get better than that! Oh, and we loved the hot tub!

Bad:
The restaurant, however, was Italian, and pretty expensive. We were looking for something more authentic/Costa Rican. The rooms were really nice and clean, but not super luxury. And, they really seem to push doing expensive tours, when a lot of the activities are easy to do on your own.

Weather notice:
The lady at the desk told us the best time to see the volcano is September, when there are no clouds. We were there in December, and it was pretty cold, a little rainy, and really cloudy. We got lucky and saw the lava one night, but only on the bottom half of the volcano.

Basically, this was a wonderful place to stay! We would go back in a minute!

Stayed: January 2007
6  Thank worldtravelermn
Reviewed 10 January 2007

Everything about this place was better than I had expected. The view of lava from really was quite cool. The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Breakfast was a standard buffet with decent omelet’s, fruit, juice, and pretty good gallo pinto. Room service Pizza was also very good. The restaurant sometimes gets a bus load of tourists that basically take over, so we had a couple bad, over-priced cocktails and went to La Choza de Laurel for a great meal. Rooms are big, as are the showers. The beds are not that great, but I remembered to open my eyes every time I turned over to watch the show and it was alright. The pool looks nice; it was too cool at night to enjoy it. The jacuzzi is great (make sure you tell them to turn the heat on), but you can't see the volcano from it, bummer. Overall, a great value with an equally great staff.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FutureExpatriates
Reviewed 3 January 2007

This was a gem of a hotel. The rooms were surely large enough, and very clean. The hotel staff could not have been more helpful. They really went out of their way to make certain we were happy with out stay and provide directions to other CR locations.

The food in the restaurant was quite good and the grounds were perfectly manicured. It also had a view of Arenal Volcano. Unfortunately, it was shrouded in clouds while we were there.

I would highly recommend this location and hotel.

• Stayed: December 2006
6  Thank cclo
Reviewed 30 December 2006

The staff were helpful, the room was fabulous. And we had the perfect view of the volcano. Loved it!! I didn't like the dinner that I had at the restaurant, but everything else was great. There is also a pool and you can see the volcano from the pool too!!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank MissCheese
Reviewed 3 December 2006

Arenal is a fantastic place to visit, and this hotel was the perfect place to stay. We had Cabina number 9, which was recommended by another reviewer. It definitely had the best view, although all the stand alone cabins have a good view of the volcano. Seeing the lava flow at night from our bed was quite an experience. The rooms are large and well equipped with a coffee maker and refrigerator. The grounds are lovely, and the pool and jacuzzi are great. Someone else mentioned the jacuzzi was not hot enough. You need to ask the front desk to turn on the heat, it takes only 10 minutes to heat it up. The breakfast buffet is included in the price and is very good. The dining room is a good place for dinner, great food and a good view of the volcano.

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple

#23 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Casa Luna Hotel & Spa
Casa Luna Hotel & Spa
#11 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Arenal Volcano Inn? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Arenal Volcano Inn

Address: 6.5 KM North West of The catholic church of La Fortuna, San Carlos. | 6.5 km NW of the Catholic church, Arenal Volcano National Park, La Fortuna de San Carlos 21007, Costa Rica
Bar / Lounge Business Centre with Internet Access Free Breakfast Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Free Parking Children Activities (Kid / Family Friendly) Restaurant Room Service Suites Swimming Pool Wheelchair access Airport Transportation
#10 Family Hotel in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#14 Romantic Hotel in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Price Range: £79 - £120 (Based on Average Rates for a Standard Room)
Hotel Class:3 star — Arenal Volcano Inn 3*
Arenal Volcano Inn is a 25 room hotel surrounded by exotic gardens that can be admired from the tranquility of your room or by taking a small walk on its natural gardens and trails. Every guest may enjoy the view of the Arenal Volcano from its own terrace. Come visit us and make Arenal Volcano Inn your home while vacationing in Costa Rica. ... more   less
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Arenal Volcano Inn reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
Arenal Volcano Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos