“Your dream wedding come true!”

Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa
Charlotte, North Carolina, United States
“Your dream wedding come true!”
Reviewed 23 February 2012

I recently exchanged "I Do's" standing in the most lovely, beautiful gazebo in front of the amazing Arenal volcano, located at Kioro.. Surrounded by pristine, lush tropical gardens with the sound of the natural hot spring's many waterfalls that are located on the property, in the background.. Words can not describe how special and perfect Kioro made our wedding for us.. I first contacted Kioro about plans for a wedding in December. It was a quick and last minute decision, as my husband and I had originally planned to marry on one of Costa Rica's beautiful beaches..but upon researching La Fortuna and Kioro resort we decided that a small ceremony in front of Arenal would be perfect! Grethel, from guest services took care of all the arrangements and planning. She worked with us and our budget and insured we were able to have our dream wedding, despite the time frame.. She took care of everything! It was completely stress free and everything was scheduled/planned precisely for the big day.. Hair, makeup, photographer, minister, ceremony, and dinner.. Grethel made sure it was all taken care of.. Upon arrival we were greeted like celebrities by staff, received welcome drinks, a complimentary volcano facial and a congratulate bottle of red wine. The rooms were very romantic with an amazing view of the volcano. You could get cozy in your bed or relax in the jacuzzi, all while taking in the best views of the magnificent Arenal volcano. I decided to have a relaxing facial and massage the day before the wedding. The spa at Kioro was very serene and wonderful, they made my complexion glowing and the stress from the trip was nonexistent after my visit. The wedding day began with a gourmet breakfast buffet in Kioro's beautiful dinning hall. We dined on fresh fruit, specially made omelets and fine Costa Rican cuisine while watching the morning mist lift from atop Arenal. On the beautiful walk back to our room from breakfast we saw staff hard at work in the court yard, gardens, dinning room and gazebo preparing for the ceremony & dinner. Grethel had the stylist picked up and brought to our room where she stayed by my side insuring my hair and makeup was done exactly to my specifications. At the same time she was on the phone with the florist making sure delivery of the flowers were on time and once they arrived, Grethel brought the florist to meet me and made sure the flowers were exactly as I had wanted...and of course they were perfect. The florist even prepared my bouquet with a few broaches I had brought, it was beautiful! Shortly after the photographer arrived, we picked out a few spots around San Carlos near the swinging bridges were we wanted to have pictures taken. Grethel made a quick phone call to one of the area parks and had the entrance fee waved, a total of $50. She even made sure that the ceremony would be pushed back and the minister would wait just in case pictures took longer, in which it did! She came along with us and the photographer to help with my train, we took photos on a swinging bridge over the forest canopy and shut down traffic on the Arenal Lake Bridge just so the photographer could get photos of me twirling. Back at the hotel the minister was waiting and the gazebo looked beautiful. The ceromony went perfect and guests kept asking if we were celebrities from all the attention and attentiveness we were receiving from the staff at Kioro. Our romantic dinner was beautiful and delicious with rose petals (matching my floral arrangments) and candles scattered on the floor. It was a perfect stay, so perfect my husband and I decided to extend our honeymoon two more days so we could drive from Tambor and stay 1 more night at the beautiful Kioro resort. Grethel introduced us to the owner and his wife during our return stay, which was a real treat. The detail of our big day was extraordinary and perfect, Kioro made our dream wedding, come true.. The fine staff of Kioro become your friends for life and will make memories you will never forget. This resort is a must for any vaction! You won't regret it!!

2 Thank Newlywed00

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Hebrew first
Saint Nom la Breteche
Reviewed 22 February 2012

You will find the hotel at about 10km from La Fortuna on thé top of a hill right in front of the Arenal volcano. You Will go through a magnificent park with lots of flowers to reach the reception lobby. One weak point the architecture which is not very attractive. Besides that very large rooms facing the view some with a Private jacuzzi, nicely decorated Andy perfect service. Swimming pool and hot springs is another outstanding feature. À other suggestion for improvement the design of the restaurant dining room which seems more and dressing large tour groups than small parties. How ever food is excellent.

• Stayed February 2012
1 Thank Francois L
Maryland
Reviewed 16 February 2012

This hotel was my first stop in Costa Rica for my honeymoon in Early August 2011. Upon arrival we received a welcome drink which was well deserved after the 2 hour ride from the air port. We stayed for 2 days in room 501. I think its four rooms to a villa. Two at the top and two at the bottom. I read the reviews here and requested a room on the top level. The view here is amazing. The bed is right in front of the volcano. Every time you wake up its in your face. I took the best pictures of the volcano from the hotel room. The people I showed the pictures to said I was way to close :) The room was excellent. Large bed, separate shower and separate toilet area, free wifi, Jacuzzi in the corner of the room with a volcano view. The room also had a separate reading area by the door with a day bed. The grounds are amazing and the hot springs are wonderful. They even have cup holders for your drinks. The pool was nice. Not many people in the hotel so we pretty much had things to our selves. Breakfast was great and included in the room rate. We ate here one night for dinner and the other at Don Ruffinos. The food here is good and priced moderately. If you go to a cheaper place in town you are paying more for your dinner because you have to pay for the two taxis. Overall this was an excellent say.

Room Tip: Chose a room at the top level of the villa it has an excellent view.
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MarylandHipchick
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My wife and I have been back to this hotel after a few years during a trip in Costa Rica for 10 days.

It is said to see how much did change during the last 3 years, yes I agree and understand that there has been a financial crisis and Tourism business was suffering everywhere. Having said so however one still needs to keep up with what should be seen as minimum 5 star standards if you wish to compete on this level.

As much as we both did praise the hotel and its services 3 years ago, we now need to say it is no longer what it was.

Maintenance and attention to details by Employees is the big issue:

The Air-condition did only work on full speed and lowest temperature
The Jacuzzi was not working at all, water cold
Mini Bar selection way below standard
Water- and other maintenance damage on wood works, main entrance door frame, and walls in bath room, shower and entrance area
Reception area presentation is no longer what it was, things changed and we both did feel said about what we did experience

Overall we must say:
What once made a huge difference in your stay, has now turned the other way; the special service attention to detail and perfectly maintained operation is lost. A lost value, chance and missed opportunity.

4 Thank GlobetroterAmericas
raraya, Gerente at Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa, responded to this review, 20 February 2012
Thank you for contact us before your arrive.

We at knowledge receipt of your comments and indeed, we did have some maintenance problems in the past, like most hotels have. However we have establish a new program to solve this problems. And we are working hard every day to achieve our goal.

We are going to make sure that when you arrive, you are going to have the wonderful vacations in Kioro that you deserve.
Pittsburgh, PA
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Arenal Kioro is a fabulous property. The setting at the base of the volcano is nothing short of spectacular. The rooms are huge and fabulous, each with their own private hot tub. My only complaint about the rooms, was the quality of the beds. At such a top notch luxury resort I would have expected higher quality beds and linens. The beds were fine, but not great. That being said everything else was great. The location can not be beat, the hot springs are lovely and the restaurant is wonderful. The breakfast was very good and plentiful.

Overall I highly recommend this property. We had a large family outing (16 total) and we all loved the place.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank marcPittsburgh_PA
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 25 January 2012

My parents stayed here two nights. Had a fabulous room with a hot tub. Great setting and view from our room. Nice spa.

3 Thank pennstategal
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here for two nights. Rooms are very nice, all with awesome volcano views and eco-friendly. Grounds are beautifully groomed and the pools and hot springs (natural thermal waters with artificial pools) are lovely. Good service, food at the pool bar/lunch restaurant is tasty and not too expensive, but go into town for dinner. Very generous and included breakfast that is filling and delicious. Tours will pick you up at the hotel, but the taxi ride into town for dinner or wandering around is a bit pricey (~$12-15 each way).

3 Thank KHib
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#5 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 62 in Arenal Volcano National Park

Been to Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa? Share your experiences!