“Very nice hotel”

Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa
Chicago, Illinois
“Very nice hotel”
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our group of 8 (2 families) stayed at Arenal Kioro for 2 nights. The rooms are very large, clean and well appointed. Our rooms had a fantastic view of the volcano - it seems that most, if not all, rooms enjoy the same view. It is a large property, with beautiful grounds that are very well maintained. We took advantage of the hot springs on the property, which are very well done, with multiple pools. The staff was friendly and helpful.
The one disappointing part of our experience was the restaurant. Although the breakfasts were very good, the dinner was average. It was overpriced, particularly considering the meal we were served.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank luvtravel123

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (286)
  • Hebrew first
Maplewood, New Jersey
Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my family for five nights. Amazing views of the volcano. Not crowded at all. Breakfast was very good every morning. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The in room hot tub was amusing to the kids, but probably unnecessary.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Tom D
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Kioro gets 3 stars is because it was a nice room, it was clean, and the view was amazing. Otherwise, we may have considered a lower rating. I'm thinking maybe we were there too long. But I've done 5 day vacations other places and never had this experience.

We had a not so very good dinner from the restaurant the first day we got there. We gave it a second chance and were hugely disappointed. At which point until the end of our vacation we decided to eat dinner in town every day. But that came with it’s own surprise. It's $16 each way with a taxi to go into town. Each way. It was ridiculous that our only options were to eat less than desirable food or pay almost $40 (with tip) to go somewhere and eat. The hotel offered a shuttle but at pretty inconvenient times. If you are out doing an activity you don't want to rush to the hotel room to change etc just to catch the shuttle and if we wanted to go to a late dinner the shuttle service did not go late. They had a good buffet breakfast but then it became very repetitive as we were there for six days. So every breakfast was almost exactly the same every day. We wanted to come to Costa Rica to relax and enjoy its beauty. But we thought there would be more to do and see. So when there wasn't much to do at the resort we thought we could lounge in the room and rent movies, watch TV, etc (Or spend $40 to go into town and just walk around. Other than restaurants and gift shops nothing to see) Anyway, the TV has like two or 3 English channels. No option to rent movies and all the other channels in Spanish were playing English movies with the Spanish over voice. Wow! Now, my husband and I speak Spanish but to sit through any show or movie with the terrible voice overs was just painful! We were on our honeymoon but 6 days, 3 activities (which lasted maybe 3 hours each)…we found ourselves with a lot of spare time. What attracted us the most about this hotel were the on location hot springs. However, these hot springs did not work. My husband and I referred to them as cold springs. We complained and were told they were working properly but the next day a letter was slid underneath the door saying that the hot springs were not working (shocking) and that they would be shuttling out every hour to another hot springs owned by the same hotel. Titoku hot springs were perfect. Just what one would expect. Beautiful and oh yeah, HOT. With this we were very pleased. They had a bar, drinks only though but that was still much better than the hotel "hot" springs. In any case, the next day when we asked about the Shuttle we were told that the on location hot springs were working. So we tried them. Umm, luke warm water. Not what we had experienced at the other hot springs. The hotel has a very nice pool but we have a pool back at home so it was not what attracted us. They have an outside restaurant and serve drinks but we can't rave about that either :( we were looking forward to cocktails in the hot springs. Instead we had some not so great mixed drinks near the cold springs. Piña coladas? Margaritas? They were on the menu, but not their forte.

Now the next thing that my husband and I were yet again disappointed with was the spa. Going in is so peaceful, it's clean, it's quiet. It's very spa like. They give you the robe and slippers, etc etc. We first had a mud massage which was nice because of the experience but I can't say much for the expertise or skills as far as the massage went. It was more like a caress. I also forced my husband to get mani and pedi with me. $45 each which we thought would be worth it as they were an hour long and this was our second to last day so we wanted to fully relax. What a waste of money. By far the worse pedicure and manicure I have ever had and my husband, well, he'll never know what a good one feels like as this was his first and doesn't care to do again. For the manicure the hand "massage" was more like a soft touch. Oh and she didn't even cut my cuticles which has never happened to me before. Could I have said something then? Sure, but I don't like to tell people how to do their job. They did do this candle wax thing which felt good but I was sadly too annoyed by the terrible (and expensive) manicure to enjoy it. I think the hour was consumed on how slow they were. For the pedicure. They put us in these uncomfortable chairs and this very cheap looking feet thingy to soak our feet. Which is okay because I did not expect everything to be high tech. The foot bucket was plugged in so was it supposed to heat the water? Because it was cold! It could be because the people who were attending us showed up 20 mins late to work. We were the first ones at the spa, and arrived 10 mins early as they suggested. Now, don't get me wrong. I realize I am not in the United States but a spa is A spa. You don't need high tech to make it an enjoyable experience. We would not have wasted our time and money had we thought this was going to be a less than standard experience. After the mani & pedi's we had a couple's massage. I had the same lady that did my first massage and so I asked her to be a little bit more firm this time because I had some tight muscles. Big mistake. It was almost painful. I cringed several times. There was no rhyme or reason to what she did. I've had plenty of massages and I know quality. I did expect them to be a professional masseuse but this was far from it. My husband felt the same way. The prices did not reflect their lack of training. The point here is not to make it a complaint session but we expected a lot more out of this place. It came greatly recommended by the reviewers and also our travel agency. They said this was in the top 3 hotels they recommended. Maybe our expectations were too high? Maybe we stayed in one place too long? But it's things like this that keep old customers coming back and new ones coming in. Good food? Good drinks? Good spa? Working amenities? It would all be very nice to have! And we can't say we did.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank RachelF1972
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our condo was absolutely incredible. Hot tub in the room. amazing view of the volcano. Great walking trails. Tucked away but close to attractions, restaurants, etc. Very romantic. It was the perfect way to end our honeymoon!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank katyhp
New York City, New York
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Upon arrival we were greeted with a drink of our choice while we checked in. Reception also helped us make a reservation for that afternoon for a volcano hike tour. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and perfectly manicured. Our room was huge and beautiful. Foyer area with couch/day bed and desk, main area with 2 queen (or full) beds, couches, TV tables, and an amazing view of the Arenal Volcano from the beds when you open the curtains. 2 areas for the bathroom- one with toilet and sinks, other with shower. Also had jacuzzi with a view of the volcano. Before our volcano tour grabbed a quick bite at the poolside restaurant. Food was simple, yet good and again the view of the volcano by the pool was amazing. Staff members are always friendly and willing to help. After volcano tour took a dip in the hot springs. I love how the hot springs are set up. Plenty of smaller springs so you can have privacy, but connected so you can get around easily. Dinner was next at their more formal restaurant. Food was delicious and service was great. Same for the breakfast buffet in the morning- plentiful with all the fixings- American and Costa Rican breakfast.

Due to time constraints of my trip there I was able to take advantage of the free massage/mud mask they offered. I'm sure the hotel had plenty more to offer, but I just didn't have time to experience it all. Would definitely want to come back and would absolutely recommend.

Room Tip: Not sure if all the rooms have views of the volcano, so ask for one that does.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LTT789
Watford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Great location, lovely hotel and rooms, friendly and helpful staff. Felt relaxed from the moment we arrived. Could sit for hours looking at the view of the volcano (although it can be cloud covered some of the time).

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Fountain Valley, California
Reviewed 8 April 2014

This hotel was one of our favorites. We had a beautiful view of the volcano. The room was wonderful and had a hot tub. The staff was helpful and friendly. The morning breakfast was delicious, lots of choices! We ate dinner one night at the hotel and it was also very good. We really enjoyed the hot springs, very relaxing and soothing. We loved walking the beautifully manicured grounds, especially the hydrangeas! The mud facial was very relaxing. Overall, it was great and we would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Looked to us like any room would be perfect!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple