“Great Start to Our Anniversary Trip!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa

Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa
“Great Start to Our Anniversary Trip!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

I planned a surprise wedding anniversary trip for my wife and I that included 3 nights at Arenal Kioro with several area excursions, followed by 4 nights on the Pacific coast. Oh how we wished this hotel had another location on the beach!!!

I have ABSOLUTELY nothing but raving reviews about this place!!! The moment we arrived, Eduardo and Rudy were incredibly welcoming and offered us drinks immediately. I had emailed them ahead of time to get restaurant menus and let them know we were coming to celebrate our anniversary. As soon as we walked in the room, we saw a very sweet anniversary card and a complimentary bottle of wine!

Room:
The rooms are fantastic! We had PLENTY of room and loved the balcony and sliding doors because we could easily open both up and get lots of fresh air with the cross breeze. No doubt about it, the view of the volcano, the grounds, and the surrounding hills is absolutely gorgeous! The bed was REALLY comfortable, and the air conditioning worked great! We only got in the hot tub once, as we have one at home, so this wasn't that big of a deal for us.

Service:
All of the staff members we met were SOOO NICE!!! I speak just a little Spanish, but I tried, and they were more than willing to help me get better. We just refuse to be those annoying Americans that refuse to learn more about the local culture when traveling, and what better way to immerse yourself than at least trying to speak the language!

Food:
Despite what I read in some other reviews, we thought the food was REALLY good!!! Talk to the servers and get them to recommend something! We even ordered room service one night since we got in a little later than planned and it was delicious! The breakfast buffet offers plenty of options from traditional Costa Rican fare like rice and beans and plantains to fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, and made-to-order omelets! We couldn't get enough of the fresh Costa Rican pineapple, watermelon, and papaya! Also, we had a couple early departures for excursions, and the staff was more than willing to get us some coffee to go and let us load up some food in a box to take with us. We had lunch and drinks by the pool one day, which were simple, but really good burgers and sandwiches, and Emyel and Rudy were great bartenders! We hung out with Rudy at the bar one evening since it was raining - we learned so much about local culture, and him about us as well. Rudy even talked us into trying some different drinks using local Cacique, a sugar cane liquor native to Costa Rica, which were really good!

Property/Grounds:
The landscaping is absolutely gorgeous, regardless of the view of Arenal Volcano, and for us, that was great, since we only got to see the volcano one afternoon. We just had some bad luck with rain, which never stopped us in getting out the room, walking around, enjoying the hot springs, lying in a hammock, etc. The hot springs, for us, were great! Emyel at the bar even came around to bring us drinks as we needed them! We loved that this was a smaller hotel, because at only 42 rooms, we rarely saw more than a couple of people outside of breakfast or dinner, and they were close to full capacity!

Spa:
The only service we had in the spa were mud facials, but the spa was beautiful, peaceful, and I was asleep in less than a minute after the application of the mud. I was so relaxed and refreshed afterwards that it was more than worth the trip to the spa.

Final thoughts:
Get out of the room and enjoy the area and grounds! I read where someone complained about not being able to rent movies on the TV or the fact that there were only a couple of English channels. Are you kidding me?!?! Who wants to watch TV/movies when you're surrounded by such beauty?!?!?! How NON-romantic is that?!?!

Room Tip: Try to get a top floor room...huge ceilings! And, get the staff to show you how to work the A/C rem...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TriadDiner713

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Hebrew first
Hillsdale, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We stayed here with a group of 10. We had 3 rooms and they were all great. 2 double beds, and extra day bed that could be made up and a jacuzzi in each room. A fabulous view of the volcano. The rooms were clean and spacious. The pools, hot springs, pool bar were all very nice and a good way to unwind after an adventure filled day.

The employees were all very helpful and accommodating. Made us feel welcome and they helped with some of our excursions. Everyone there was working very hard but never made you feel like they were too busy to help.

One person from each room enjoyed a complementary mud facial from the spa. They all enjoyed it.

The breakfast buffet was good, the service was slower than we like from NY but they eventually got us everything we asked for. THE DINNER WAS NOT WORTH WHAT WE PAID. Really wouldn't pay the premium price for a mediocre meal. It was convenient when getting in after a long ride from San Jose but would try to find a different option next time. We did have a great meal at Nene's in La Fortuna but it is a cab ride away.

1 Thank NJDHV
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2014

One of the best hotels I've ever stayed in! I am mobility impaired and got a downstairs room not too far from the restaurant but quiet and with a view of the volcano. Beautiful view and balcony with room for the kids. welcoming and charming, and very friendly. Beautiful gardens, lovely hot springs, very elegant. Beautiful spa in the rainforest. Great breakfast and organizing of trips and transport. Only downside was the restaurant,, though great ambiance and beautiful, did not have great food and was overpriced. Would absolutely come back and recommend to travelers with special needs.

Room Tip: If you are mobility impaired tell them-- I found all hotels in Costa Rica very accomodating as long...
1 Thank luvnicehotels2014
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014

Our group of 8 (2 families) stayed at Arenal Kioro for 2 nights. The rooms are very large, clean and well appointed. Our rooms had a fantastic view of the volcano - it seems that most, if not all, rooms enjoy the same view. It is a large property, with beautiful grounds that are very well maintained. We took advantage of the hot springs on the property, which are very well done, with multiple pools. The staff was friendly and helpful.
The one disappointing part of our experience was the restaurant. Although the breakfasts were very good, the dinner was average. It was overpriced, particularly considering the meal we were served.

2 Thank luvtravel123
Maplewood, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2014 via mobile

Stayed here with my family for five nights. Amazing views of the volcano. Not crowded at all. Breakfast was very good every morning. The staff was very nice and accommodating. The in room hot tub was amusing to the kids, but probably unnecessary.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Tom D
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2014

Kioro gets 3 stars is because it was a nice room, it was clean, and the view was amazing. Otherwise, we may have considered a lower rating. I'm thinking maybe we were there too long. But I've done 5 day vacations other places and never had this experience.

We had a not so very good dinner from the restaurant the first day we got there. We gave it a second chance and were hugely disappointed. At which point until the end of our vacation we decided to eat dinner in town every day. But that came with it’s own surprise. It's $16 each way with a taxi to go into town. Each way. It was ridiculous that our only options were to eat less than desirable food or pay almost $40 (with tip) to go somewhere and eat. The hotel offered a shuttle but at pretty inconvenient times. If you are out doing an activity you don't want to rush to the hotel room to change etc just to catch the shuttle and if we wanted to go to a late dinner the shuttle service did not go late. They had a good buffet breakfast but then it became very repetitive as we were there for six days. So every breakfast was almost exactly the same every day. We wanted to come to Costa Rica to relax and enjoy its beauty. But we thought there would be more to do and see. So when there wasn't much to do at the resort we thought we could lounge in the room and rent movies, watch TV, etc (Or spend $40 to go into town and just walk around. Other than restaurants and gift shops nothing to see) Anyway, the TV has like two or 3 English channels. No option to rent movies and all the other channels in Spanish were playing English movies with the Spanish over voice. Wow! Now, my husband and I speak Spanish but to sit through any show or movie with the terrible voice overs was just painful! We were on our honeymoon but 6 days, 3 activities (which lasted maybe 3 hours each)…we found ourselves with a lot of spare time. What attracted us the most about this hotel were the on location hot springs. However, these hot springs did not work. My husband and I referred to them as cold springs. We complained and were told they were working properly but the next day a letter was slid underneath the door saying that the hot springs were not working (shocking) and that they would be shuttling out every hour to another hot springs owned by the same hotel. Titoku hot springs were perfect. Just what one would expect. Beautiful and oh yeah, HOT. With this we were very pleased. They had a bar, drinks only though but that was still much better than the hotel "hot" springs. In any case, the next day when we asked about the Shuttle we were told that the on location hot springs were working. So we tried them. Umm, luke warm water. Not what we had experienced at the other hot springs. The hotel has a very nice pool but we have a pool back at home so it was not what attracted us. They have an outside restaurant and serve drinks but we can't rave about that either :( we were looking forward to cocktails in the hot springs. Instead we had some not so great mixed drinks near the cold springs. Piña coladas? Margaritas? They were on the menu, but not their forte.

Now the next thing that my husband and I were yet again disappointed with was the spa. Going in is so peaceful, it's clean, it's quiet. It's very spa like. They give you the robe and slippers, etc etc. We first had a mud massage which was nice because of the experience but I can't say much for the expertise or skills as far as the massage went. It was more like a caress. I also forced my husband to get mani and pedi with me. $45 each which we thought would be worth it as they were an hour long and this was our second to last day so we wanted to fully relax. What a waste of money. By far the worse pedicure and manicure I have ever had and my husband, well, he'll never know what a good one feels like as this was his first and doesn't care to do again. For the manicure the hand "massage" was more like a soft touch. Oh and she didn't even cut my cuticles which has never happened to me before. Could I have said something then? Sure, but I don't like to tell people how to do their job. They did do this candle wax thing which felt good but I was sadly too annoyed by the terrible (and expensive) manicure to enjoy it. I think the hour was consumed on how slow they were. For the pedicure. They put us in these uncomfortable chairs and this very cheap looking feet thingy to soak our feet. Which is okay because I did not expect everything to be high tech. The foot bucket was plugged in so was it supposed to heat the water? Because it was cold! It could be because the people who were attending us showed up 20 mins late to work. We were the first ones at the spa, and arrived 10 mins early as they suggested. Now, don't get me wrong. I realize I am not in the United States but a spa is A spa. You don't need high tech to make it an enjoyable experience. We would not have wasted our time and money had we thought this was going to be a less than standard experience. After the mani & pedi's we had a couple's massage. I had the same lady that did my first massage and so I asked her to be a little bit more firm this time because I had some tight muscles. Big mistake. It was almost painful. I cringed several times. There was no rhyme or reason to what she did. I've had plenty of massages and I know quality. I did expect them to be a professional masseuse but this was far from it. My husband felt the same way. The prices did not reflect their lack of training. The point here is not to make it a complaint session but we expected a lot more out of this place. It came greatly recommended by the reviewers and also our travel agency. They said this was in the top 3 hotels they recommended. Maybe our expectations were too high? Maybe we stayed in one place too long? But it's things like this that keep old customers coming back and new ones coming in. Good food? Good drinks? Good spa? Working amenities? It would all be very nice to have! And we can't say we did.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank RachelF1972
Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2014

Our condo was absolutely incredible. Hot tub in the room. amazing view of the volcano. Great walking trails. Tucked away but close to attractions, restaurants, etc. Very romantic. It was the perfect way to end our honeymoon!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple