I planned a surprise wedding anniversary trip for my wife and I that included 3 nights at Arenal Kioro with several area excursions, followed by 4 nights on the Pacific coast. Oh how we wished this hotel had another location on the beach!!!
I have ABSOLUTELY nothing but raving reviews about this place!!! The moment we arrived, Eduardo and Rudy were incredibly welcoming and offered us drinks immediately. I had emailed them ahead of time to get restaurant menus and let them know we were coming to celebrate our anniversary. As soon as we walked in the room, we saw a very sweet anniversary card and a complimentary bottle of wine!
The rooms are fantastic! We had PLENTY of room and loved the balcony and sliding doors because we could easily open both up and get lots of fresh air with the cross breeze. No doubt about it, the view of the volcano, the grounds, and the surrounding hills is absolutely gorgeous! The bed was REALLY comfortable, and the air conditioning worked great! We only got in the hot tub once, as we have one at home, so this wasn't that big of a deal for us.
All of the staff members we met were SOOO NICE!!! I speak just a little Spanish, but I tried, and they were more than willing to help me get better. We just refuse to be those annoying Americans that refuse to learn more about the local culture when traveling, and what better way to immerse yourself than at least trying to speak the language!
Despite what I read in some other reviews, we thought the food was REALLY good!!! Talk to the servers and get them to recommend something! We even ordered room service one night since we got in a little later than planned and it was delicious! The breakfast buffet offers plenty of options from traditional Costa Rican fare like rice and beans and plantains to fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, and made-to-order omelets! We couldn't get enough of the fresh Costa Rican pineapple, watermelon, and papaya! Also, we had a couple early departures for excursions, and the staff was more than willing to get us some coffee to go and let us load up some food in a box to take with us. We had lunch and drinks by the pool one day, which were simple, but really good burgers and sandwiches, and Emyel and Rudy were great bartenders! We hung out with Rudy at the bar one evening since it was raining - we learned so much about local culture, and him about us as well. Rudy even talked us into trying some different drinks using local Cacique, a sugar cane liquor native to Costa Rica, which were really good!
The landscaping is absolutely gorgeous, regardless of the view of Arenal Volcano, and for us, that was great, since we only got to see the volcano one afternoon. We just had some bad luck with rain, which never stopped us in getting out the room, walking around, enjoying the hot springs, lying in a hammock, etc. The hot springs, for us, were great! Emyel at the bar even came around to bring us drinks as we needed them! We loved that this was a smaller hotel, because at only 42 rooms, we rarely saw more than a couple of people outside of breakfast or dinner, and they were close to full capacity!
The only service we had in the spa were mud facials, but the spa was beautiful, peaceful, and I was asleep in less than a minute after the application of the mud. I was so relaxed and refreshed afterwards that it was more than worth the trip to the spa.
Get out of the room and enjoy the area and grounds! I read where someone complained about not being able to rent movies on the TV or the fact that there were only a couple of English channels. Are you kidding me?!?! Who wants to watch TV/movies when you're surrounded by such beauty?!?!?! How NON-romantic is that?!?!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Kioro offers a fabulous place with a natural viewpoint to the Arenal Volcano. The hotel has 27 acres of undulating land, surrounded by two streams (La Palma and Kioro) with crystalline waters that begin to flow in the Arenal Volcano National Park. It has two paths where plant species are identified. Besides, private thermal springs for our customer's delight. All our suites have:Two terraces with the best panoramic volcano and mountain view, hydro-massage, air conditioning, safe deposit box, minibar, coffee maker, hot water, direct dialing telephone, satellite television, hair dryer, key card, safety locks, internet connections. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda and Traveltool, S.L.U. so you can book your Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Kioro Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos