We booked this hotel for our family of 6 several months before our trip and were told that we would require 2 rooms, but could not be guaranteed adjoining rooms. We decided that we would take our chances even though our children are 5, 8, 10 and 14. The hotel is expensive, especially when booking 2 rooms. Upon arrival we were told we could not get adjoining rooms as they were taken. This was disappointing, but we had no choice. When we got to the rooms and realized how huge they were, there was absolutely no reason that we even needed 2. I can't figure out a positive spin as to why we required 2...unfortunate.
Yes, the hotel is at the foot of the volcano, but during our stay we could only see half way up (in 3 days) due to the clouds. Plus, the lava no longer flows on this side of the volcano, which no one tells you until you arrive.
The breakfast buffet, which is ok, is included in the room rate. Beyond that the food and drinks are ridiculously expensive. And, worse, you are very isolated. It is a 15 minute cab ride to the closest restaurant. We tried to order in a meal one night from a local restaurant. We asked for menus to look at and the front desk had none. Disappointing. We called a pizza place they recommended and ended up with an $88 dollar check for at most $45 worth of food - but, again, there are no options.
The rooms are very clean and spacious - easily could accomodate a family of 4 or 5. I would even have stretched the truth for our family of 6 had I known.
The faux hot springs are very nice as is the pool area. The gameroom which consists of 2 pool tables and 2 ping pong tables is also a nice touch. The spa is quite large and clean, but we did not use any of the services. My husband was greatly disappointed in the gym equipment - given the facility is only 3 years old, they do not have anything remotely "state of the art".
I suppose it depends what you are looking for in a vacation - if you want to pay more than you need to for more room space than you need then you will be pleased. If you want amenities, dining choices, above average quality for the $ you will be disappointed.
I will say the beds were extremely comfortable, the a/c good and the furnishings pleasant.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Kioro offers a fabulous place with a natural viewpoint to the Arenal Volcano. The hotel has 27 acres of undulating land, surrounded by two streams (La Palma and Kioro) with crystalline waters that begin to flow in the Arenal Volcano National Park. It has two paths where plant species are identified. Besides, private thermal springs for our customer's delight. All our suites have:Two terraces with the best panoramic volcano and mountain view, hydro-massage, air conditioning, safe deposit box, minibar, coffee maker, hot water, direct dialing telephone, satellite television, hair dryer, key card, safety locks, internet connections. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Evoline ltd, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com and Cancelon so you can book your Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Kioro Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos