“The BEST spring break EVER!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica
Reviewed 27 March 2012

The main reason we chose the Treehouse Hotel was b/c of the reviews, which over aceded our expectations. Reanne and Kelly were awesome!!!! Before we got there, Mark the owner, booked all of our excursions and had everything set up. We zip-lined, water rafted, hiked a volcano, and then soaked in the hot springs. We truly enjoyed each one! One of our favorites at the Treehouse were the night hikes with Rolando. We saw sloths, holler monkeys, tree frogs, toucans, and many other beautiful birds. The rooms were clean, comfortable and we were even able to squeeze in a massage on our balcony...very relaxing! Breakfast was wonderful...each morning was a delicious surprise! Reanne suggested different places to eat which we're all wonderful! Especially the resturant, Jalapenos, near the airport. Muy bueno!! If you are thinking about coming to Costa Rica we definitely suggest the Treehouse Hotel for a fabulous experience!

• Stayed: March 2012

Reviewed 24 March 2012

From the get go of finding this Gem, Managers... Mark and lucy could not of been more awesome!!! With immediate responses to email's and extremely helpful suggestions on planning the trip. Started the day off with transportation from San Jose to tree house with Jody and Wilson's transportation, stopping to take photo's and lunch along the way. What a relaxing start having someone else drive you to the tree house after the flight in!! When arriving at the tree house with anticipation the gates open into an oasis of beauty and peace, you feel it the moment you drive down the path. You continue to feel this way during the entire trip!! Waiting on the porch was Raeanne.. owner , she went out of her way to make sure everything was perfect for us!! All excursion planned and transportation was taken care of and everything went without a hitch!! I woke every am at 6 to the sounds of nature and coffee waiting on the porch, was a gift each morning! A delightful breakfast something different each day, was the best breakfast we had all week! The property is so pretty I was so sad to leave and find myself looking daily at photo's . Thank you to Raeanne and staff, marianne who gives the best massages and Mark and lucy for starting our vaction off in Costa Rica just AMAZING!! I will be back and look forward to staying there more than 3 nights next time!! Everyone we met all the tour guides just so great and accomodating they make you feel like family/friends, Juan Carlos and family and arenal oasis tour, sky trek , pure trek guys....... Fantastic!! Great Memories!!

Room Tip: hummingbird tree house, perfect spot!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jens227
Reviewed 19 March 2012

we had the best vacation ever not good but great. raeann & kelly were like family. mckenna loved the dogs and animals all around. anything we asked the answer was sure no problem. the excusions were great as well as the guides and drivers , juan carlos was the best. our private transportaion jody & wilson were like old friends we had known forever . we stayed at jody's casita by the airport it was beautiful she and wilson were great. i would go back tommorow if i could . thanks again for a great vacation .

Room Tip: the bigger tree house more roomy. smaller tree house fun for kids
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank beth s
Reviewed 19 March 2012

Honestly, I started planning my trip to Costa Rica around a stay at the Treehouses Hotel and I have to say that this place not only met my pretty high expectations, but pretty much blew them out of the water! It was an amazing experience and if I ever make it back to Costa Rica, I will surely return to what I now think of as “my treehouse”.

Mark and Lucy are host and hostess extraordinaire. I e-mailed them a number of times before the trip inquiring about various excursions and directions and they were always more than happy to help out with recommendations and reservations. Mark was waiting for us on the porch upon arrival with the keys to our treehouse and the “scoop” on breakfast and the honor bar. He also explained the layout of the property and the trails within. The hotel is about 25-35 minutes from downtown La Fortuna, so there aren’t as many dining choices as there would be in a hotel nearer to town, but Mark recommended 2 in the immediate vicinity (with 5-10 min). We tried them both during our stay, and they were both great. We stayed at the Treehouses for 3 nights, 2 full days and I just can’t say enough wonderful things about our time there.

Our group of 3 couples occupied the 3 smaller Treehouses, i.e. Frog, Sloth, and Toucan. FYI, Frog has the least steps (for our pal with the bum knee). It is closest to the road, but during our stay also had the most wildlife spottings with several monkeys in the trees just beyond the balcony each morning. Sloth is the largest of the 3 and has a tree growing through the interior. It shares a driveway with the Frog and is also fairly close to the road. Best setup I would say with a view of the trees and the jungle from the bed. Toucan is the smallest, but also the tallest, so it “sways” a bit in the breeze. It is set farther back from the road, so there is less noise. It is nearest to the Rancho where breakfast is served.

Breakfast was all around a thing of beauty. We enjoyed granola, yogurt, fruit and some sort of banana-type bread on Day #1 after our morning hike to the waterfall. Lucy puts out plantains on the feeders around the Rancho when the guests arrive for breakfast so the birds just swoop in for the feast while you enjoy your coffee. Get your camera ready! We saw Toucans and Mot-Mots almost within touching distance (and about 20 other varieties I can’t even remember). Actually, the Red-Legged Honey Creepers on the feeders in front of the office were my absolute favorite. They’re such a beautiful blue, I swear they glow in the dark! We were up and out early on Day #2, so Mark and Lucy made sure that breakfast was delivered to our balcony with our morning coffee for an early bite. (BTW, having morning coffee delivered to your balcony is just about the best idea in the whole world!) As it turned out there were monkeys everywhere that morning, so I was walking around the driveway with my bowl of fresh fruit, coffee cup and camera trying to get some quick pics before hurrying off for that day’s adventures. LOL! I saw Lucy each morning up early and walking the grounds looking for the best wildlife to show her eager guests. Day #3 we had coconut french toast with pineapple topping. Yep. It tastes even better than it sounds!

We walked the trails down to the waterfall and around the perimeter during our stay, and saw an amazing amount of wildlife from birds of every size, shape and color of the rainbow to armadillos to leaf-cutter ants and beyond. I did actually have a green, yellow and blue frog with red suction toes placed upon my head at one point. :) Crazy! It was the height of the dry season when we were there, so not as many critters as during the rainy season, but definitely the closest we got to the monkeys during our whole trip. I have to say that lying in bed sound asleep that first morning and being awoken in the dark by a Howler just outside my window was one of the most memorable experiences of my life. I laid there for 30 minutes before the sun came up just listening to him climbing around the trees over my head. Incredible! Whatever else I can say will surely not do it justice, so just book your stay and you won’t regret it! I promise!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank lizfisherny
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Tree Houses in February for our 20th anniversary. Our host and hostess, Mark and Lucy could not have been more accomodating. Within a day or two they became like family to us. Each day began with an excellent breakfast and an offer for assistance from Mark and Lucy to assist in making arrangements for the day ahead.
The accomodations were so unique we had dozens of friends back home envying our destination, eager to hear about our adventure and see our pictures. We were not disappointed in any way! We loved being awaken by the Howler monkeys and birds each morning. We hope to return some day!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank 17Rich17
Reviewed 5 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the tree houses in September of 2011. We enjoyed our stay very much! When we arrived we were welcomed with open arms, by Mark and Lucy. Mark helped us set up all of our adventures for the week, and gave us good information on the best tours to take, and places to go. We spent 7 days at the tree houses, and had the adventure packed weekend of a lifetime. There is so much to do in the area, that I could've stayed another 7.

The breakfast every morning was delicious. Fresh fruit and juice, was so good. What I would do for a cup of Costa Rican juice right now... lol The tree houses were spread apart, and were very tidy. They were unreal really. You woke up every morning to the sound of howler monkeys scurrying among the trees.

I would definitely recommend this place to the "adventure couple or family." You wont regret it!

Also, i would highly recommend renting a vehicle if you are staying here since La Fortuna is a 20 minute drive away (a nice drive that we did in the morning and night, but ourselves) but definitely worth renting a car, i was happy we decided too.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Crystal D
Reviewed 4 March 2012

We stumbled on The Tree Houses Hotel while searching for places to stay in the Arenal region. Once we saw the photos on their website we were sold! Then we had the pleasure of dealing with Mark and Lucy before the trip, setting up tours and asking a million questions!
They are a terrific team and eager to help in anyway. The treehouses themselves are just like a cabin in the woods...very clean, very rustic. and very high up! The breakfasts every morning were absolutely the best...surrounded by all the exotic birds of Costa Rica. Be sure to do the tour of the hanging bridges...the tour guides are so knowledgeable and find things in the trees we never would have spotted on our own. Also take a rafting ride on the river and a hike by the volcano...all things Treehouses can arrange. As far as restaurants go, Mirador"s is around the bend and the food was great there, as was Bella Verona, about 10 kilometers away. We had such wonderful salads and fruits the whole time we were there. Make your reservations far in advance for Treehouses...I'm sure it's not easy to get them and it is well worth it! Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Nayara Springs
Nayara Springs
#1 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
Hotel Lomas del Volcan
#9 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 64 in Arenal Volcano National Park

Been to Tree Houses Hotel Costa Rica? Share your experiences!