“Beautiful!”

Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 15 August 2012

My friend and I just returned from our trip to Costa Rica and we stayed at this amazing hotel. The views are spectacular, we had our own cabin like room with views of the volcano from our room. The staff were just as amazing, very friendly, accommodating and knowledgeable. I really liked the security of this hotel, when you arrived you had to check in at the gate and present your name and then anytime after you had to present your bracelet. I felt very secure. The hot springs were kinda cold when we arrived but this was due to the rain but when the sun came out the hot spring pools were their boasted 40 degrees!

I would absolutely recommend this hotel! Food was amazing, staff were friendly and it was beautiful and well maintained. Loved every minute.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
hotel-arenal-springs, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2012

My friend, thank you very much for your lovely comments always help us to continue working in the best way possible, our ultimate dream is that 100% of our guests always feel at home, and thanks to your comments we can see that things are doing well and things are going wrong, for us to have been a pleasure having you as guests, and our embers are always open waiting for you to return.
thank you very much again and God bless you always

Write a ReviewReviews (2,578)

Reviewed 11 August 2012

This hotel is probably good for kids on a cheap vacation or young familes who want a cheap place to park the kids. It sounded really good on the phone which is why we booked it for one night rather than another hotel in town that we had originally wanted for five nights. The price was actually quite good if you can accept the "Holiday Camp" atmosphere. OK, we are in our 70s and have travelled most of the world. I think we may be too sophisticated for this hotel. The chalets are arranged in neat rows with parking next to the chalet for your car. We had asked for a king bed near to everything, pools, restaurant etc. They assigned one in the very back row, as far as you could get from everything but told us we could get a golf cart ride when we wanted to go anywhere. Thanks, but I distinctly said near everything so we can walk. Finally they changed us to a closer room with two beds. The fridge did not work so we started our stay watching a man repairing it.. Then we found that our cell phone did not get a signal. Then the Internet did not work. We could not even use it with our local antenna that picks up internet almost anywhere in the country. When I complained about that they said someone would fix it. But why couldn't they fix it on their time, not when I want to use it. We could get into the bathroom but once inside the door knob fell off which made it very difficult for my wife, That's another thing that could have been repaired BEFORE guests arrived. The people in a recent review who said they could hear everything going on in the adjoining room were dead right. Every whisper, every grunt was easily heard. They had a coffee pot in the room but every time I tried to slide it into the machine it fell inside the pot so - no coffee. They did provide six drinks in the fridge, one of the few nice touches here. The curtains were nice and they covered the windows all but about four inches on each side. Nice for "peeping toms" I guess. We could get no news on the TV in English, and with no internet we had no news period. The hot spring pools were very nice but very overcrowded even though this was the off season and the hotel had a fairly low occupancy rate. Dinner in the restaurant was poor and the lady who said it was "pricey" was right. I chose the Argentine Chasasso steak thinking it would be the real thing. It was tough, grissly and fatty. I joked with the water that the cow must have walked from Argentina and he laughed because he knew how bad it was. They couldn't even cook my wife's chicken right. It was also tough. Costa Rican chicken is some of the best in the world. You have to try very hard to make it tough. But these clowns managed it.. Next morning at breakfast I tried for ten minutes to catch a waiter's eye for coffee. Finally I got up and poured it myself. They when they saw that they came running. I asked for sweetener (sustituto)for the coffee. They brough sugar instead. Then I asked for something to stir it with because they had not set the table with the items we needed - no spoons in sight. Talk about Fawlty Towers. This is it.

Fortunately there was a real hotel 2 kilometers away. Sure it was more expensive but "darned well worth the difference." Yes the Royal Corin is a Palace.. Arenal Springs is very bad.

Room Tip: The best way to get a good room would be to go to another hotel
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank drushton
hotel-arenal-springs, Guest Relations Manager at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2012

dear friends we hope you are well at home, and we apologize for any inconvenience that you had here, our biggest dream is that all our friends who visit us return home satisfied and happy, but we know that is a difficult mission.
I very much appreciate your comments and hope that your next vacation be excellent, God bless you always

Reviewed 10 August 2012

After spending two hours in another hotel's lobby sorting out a botched reservation through a travel agency, it was a pleasure to walk into the lobby of Arenal Springs. My friend and I had very little energy after a red eye flight to Costa Rica and a rather unfriendly front desk staff at the other hotel. When we walked into Arenal Springs, the front desk was expecting us and made checking in a breeze!

The other reviews are accurate in that this is not a "rustic" feel and it is very manicured grounds. You are not embedded in the rainforest at this resort. However, the rooms are spacious and the property is immaculate. We were in room 801 and thoroughly enjoyed being in a remote corner of the property with a patio looking out at the volcano. We also spent two evenings relaxing in the hot springs pool, and settled in to a true vacation by eating dinner at the swim up bar :) The food and drink at the hotel is pricey for what we expected in Costa Rica, but not more so than any US pricing.

You do need to rely on tour shuttles or taxis to get anywhere off property (if you don't have a car). However, with a sushi bar, "snack" bar, and full dining room, we didn't find the need to leave at night (though we only stayed two nights).

Room Tip: It's laid out like a little community. To be a little more away from it all (including a longer...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 9 August 2012

What a great place to relax and enjoy the countryside. You are close to La Fortuna, Arenal, and the lake. Excellent services and staff made the visit even more enjoyable. Ruth at the front desk did a fantastic job of taking care of every need. The breakfast is not to be missed and the hot springs are the perfect place to soak a way a day of hiking the rainforest or climbing down to the waterfall.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 August 2012

We found this complex to be a pleasantly different Costa Rican experience. First, of all the places we visited, it was the only one that could be utilized by anyone with any sort of physical limitations or young children. The complex was safe, flat, and paved. Second, the resort is laid out in a pattern very much like a suburban neighborhood. Each unit is part of a free standing duplex, and the duplexes are lined up on gridded roads. It’s such an interesting hybrid, as if someone picked up an American neighborhood and dropped it in front of a volcano! The lovely springs and pools, restaurant, bars, spa, and reception area are an easy walk, and chaperoned golf carts are just a phone call away. The WiFi, HD television, and telephones actually worked (somewhat of a rarity in the rain forest, we found out). The rooms were very clean and comfortable, and I loved the landscaped bathroom that allowed the plants inside the shower to be watered when it rains. Additionally, each room came equipped with a refrigerator stocked with free water, Coke, and beer. The complex is also gated and very secure.

Although the lush landscaping and concrete springs had a somewhat overly cultivated feel, it was truly a tropical paradise. The hummingbirds and flowers were amazing! Our one hour view of the volcano on our last morning in Arenal was spectacular and well worth the wait. **It should be noted that the volcano has not erupted in two years, contrary to what many Arenal resorts and tours say. The best you’re going to get is steam, and that’s only when the clouds don’t completely envelop it.** When Arenal does make an appearance, there is no poor vantage point from anywhere in this resort! The restaurant’s food was fabulous, and the daily breakfast buffet and omelets station were exceptional. The spring water in the pools made your skin feel amazing, and we loved having the choice of different temperatures and ambiances. The staff was friendly and helpful, especially the concierge Edward who seemed particularly well-versed and knowledgeable. Because of its higher elevation, we found the cooler, less humid weather a refreshing change from our other CR non-stop-sweating experiences. Although this resort was anything but the quintessential rain forest adventure retreat (think more along the lines of a Disney Costa Rican village), I would highly recommend it to anyone, especially families or groups with a range of ages and/or physical abilities.

The only significant issue we encountered involved taxi travel. From most places in CR, it’s a safe bet that $20 will get you and your group where they need to go. But because this complex is located outside the town of La Fortuna where the taxis are based, it costs closer to $40 each way to really get out to your shopping or adventure excursions. Most people used tour services that came right into the resort, though, so this may only really present an issue to the intrepid, independent explorer.

Room Tip: All of the units are beautiful, but if you're a little older or have problems walking, request a...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Elizabeth_and_Brett

Reviewed 8 August 2012

Arenal Springs is a very nice hotel and we were treated well while there. They accommodated our family of 5 easily in one of their rooms by adding a "bed" on the floor for one of my kids. The pools are nice and the views from the hotel, as well as the hotel grounds generally, are quite nice. And yet....
For us the problem is the "program" of La Fortuna, generally, and for the Arenal Springs Resort to really work for you, you have to want that program. What do I mean? If you are in the Arenal/La Fortuna area to experience the nature of the area through pre-arranged tours, than Arenal may be the perfect place for you. Tour buses arrive like clockwork in the morning to pick folks up for zip lines, hanging bridges, whitewater, etc. No problem. However, if you like to travel and explore independently, or if you, for shame!, would like to experience actual local culture or practice your Spanish, then you are not only in the wrong hotel, but you might be in the wrong part of Costa Rica. I found this whole area to be overly packaged and excessively priced. But apparently we are in the minority here because the reviews of this hotel and La Fortuna, generally, are so strongly positive. My conclusion: it's a matter of preference. Arenal Springs Resort is great if you are after the tours and generally hanging out in naturally heated pools. Decent value, friendly service, relatively good location. If, however, you like to travel by foot or by bus, and move about independently, this is probably not the place for you.
Some specific kudos and gripes:
Kudos: room quality, cleanliness, views and friendliness.
Gripes: 100% "natural" hot springs are really pools filled with naturally warmed water. This include televisions and a bars accessible from the pools - not my idea of 100% natural.
Cost to get to and from La Fortuna - $10 each way. Thus, add $20 to your bill if you want to go out to dinner (and don't have your own car) or do just about anything. Buzz kill for us.
Last: the hotel arranged our travel to Monteverde (through the "jeep-boat-jeep" program (which is bus/boat/bus, actually). they charged us $30 for arrangements we could have made ourselves for $25. But, when the buses came for the 2:45 pm departure, our name was not included (i.e. the hotel gladly accepted our $$, but failed to book the trip). When I asked about this, they did not fess up. They said: "no problem. your transport will be here shortly." Our transport turned out to be a too-small-cab (for 5 of us and our bags) which scrambled hurriedly to the ferry launch at Lake Arenal because, in fact, we were late and holding up the ferry full of folks. When we got there, it was a mad dash down the hill to the ferry launch and then a big shuffle to find room for us and our luggage. Good save by the hotel, but not what we bargained for and certainly not the reason we booked through the hotel in advance. In the scheme of things, a small gripe, to be sure. But when you are orchestrating travel for 5 people (3 of whom are children), you do all you can to avoid these situations and the hotel actually actually created that one for us.
Thus, overall, a good enough hotel, reasonably priced for what is offered, but alas, not for us...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank SebGo

Reviewed 5 August 2012

This was our first stop on our 12 day stay in Costa Rica. It was a great way to start our vacation. The grounds were very pretty, well maintained and peaceful. The rooms were very clean and the air conditioning did a great job at keeping the dampness out of the room. It was a new experience taking a shower while it was raining outside and watching the rain come in and water the plants in the shower area. The plants got watered but the rain didn't touch me. The restaurant had great food and fruit drinks but it was quite pricey. Unfortunately we didn't have a car so were forced to pay the high prices for meals. My kids loved eating in the hot springs though! The pools and hot springs were incredible. It was definitely a bit of paradise. Once the clouds broke, we were able to see the volcano from anywhere on the grounds. It was right there! Beautiful!
My only complaint about the room was that when we were in the bathroom we could hear loud voices in the next unit. Fortunately, it was just our family next door because I'm sure they could hear us too!
The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating too. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk very far to the restaurant and pool, ask for a lower number room. Othe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank LTraveler690

Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 65 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
#4 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort &...
#24 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Arenal Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!