“Wonderful location and relatively quiet w/ great views”

Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Dallas, Texas
“Wonderful location and relatively quiet w/ great views”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Wonderfully relaxing venue. Rooms are layed out where you can see the volcano from large windows of your room as well as sit in chairs on a private patio in front of your room with a full view.
The progressively warm to hot springs are terrific and the basic one has a swim up bar that we spent hours at.
The various restaurants provided good and varied menu choices. Excellent sushi, good Italian options, an international menu and a good breakfast buffet.
The place is private, relatively quiet and relaxing. I would certainly look forward to spending more time here.

Room Tip: Since weather can be dicey in some seasons, you should be flexible with how you spend your time day...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
hotel-arenal-springs, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 29 February 2016
Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to share your comments and thank you for staying at our hotel, we were glad to read that you held a wonderful vacation and enjoyed everything here in Costa Rica, we hope to see you back soon to serve you in the best way possible.
On behalf of all staff working at Hotel Arenal Springs thank you very much and blessings.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Czech first
Draper, UT.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I was very pleasantly surprised at this property. I had looked at and priced several other properties in the area before settling on this one. I was impressed at the communication I had with the manager prior to my stay, and the prices were on par with every other resort. We chose two adjoining rooms for our family of 6. We loved walking out and seeing the view of the amazing volcano. The breakfast each morning was fabulous...made to order omlettes, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, waffles, rice and beans and tortillas. We had our breakfast fill and found that it sustained us until late afternoon in which we had an early dinner. We enjoyed all the various pools and swim up bar. Another reviewer mentioned expensive prices and the fact that the resort shut down at 10. I don't know if he traveled elsewhere in CR, but prices are higher everywhere, and most cities and restaurants shut down long before 10. It's cultural. His complaints weren't unique to this property, but it was the same all over CR. The staff here was very accommodating to our needs. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: As for a view of the volcano.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Houston
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Very nice hotel and staff was very attentive. Greeted with a cocktail after a long 3 hr drive from the airport. Great swim up bar pool and relaxing hot springs. We had pizza at the hotel and it was very good! Breakfast Buffet was delicious with many items to chose from. The fresh fruit was amazing. I would defintely recommend this hotel if you are traveling to Costa Rica.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Rose T
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 13 June 2014

This resort is quite well landscaped with beautiful plantings and views of Volcan Arenal. The price was quite reasonable and the location is convenient to the lake and town.

One issue was that the walls are thin and the bungalow next to ours was up late talking and it kept me up. The other issues involved communications breakdowns with the staff. After a warm welcome at check in I mentioned that I was leaving at 5:30 am to go fishing on the lake and the person at the desk offered to have a boxed breakfast snack ready for me in the morning. I did not ask for this. The next morning I asked for my snack and there was not one ready for me. When I asked about the Styrofoam box on the counter, the morning desk clerk said it was his breakfast, not mine. Later that same day my wife was in the spa and I left a message for her that I was back at the hotel and to not take a cab to the lake. An hour later I called the spa only to find that she had left and the attendant I asked to give my message said she had forgot to give my wife the message. Luckily I caught her at the front desk calling the cab......

It is the little things that make a difference. Overall I would stay here again. Like I said, it is a good value. The free breakfast is very good, although I would stay away from the restaurant. Our pizza was bland and overpriced. There are many great pizza spots in town.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kevin B
Erath, Louisiana
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Rooms are duplexes spread out in 8 rows around the property, all having views of the volcano. Rooms are spacious and clean as are the bathrooms. They will bring you to your room and pick you up at your room in golf carts if desired. Pools are nice, hot to warm. Pool bar is nice with food and drinks available. I only had the included breakfast buffet at the hotel which was good. Didn't eat there for any other meals. Service was good at the front desk, at breakfast, and at the pool. Had a batch of laundry cleaned while there--had to pick it up from the front desk, it would have been nice if it was delivered to the room instead. This is a fairly large property, and wasn't very busy while I was there, but during the high season it probably gets crowded.

Room Tip: The lower numbered rooms are closer to the pool and reception/restaurant areas. Stayed in 304 which...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
hotel-arenal-springs, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 14 November 2015
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Lovely resort with beautiful gardens and greenery. Paradise in Costa Rica maybe a way to describe it. Beautiful pools with waterfall settings. Good service in the restaurants. Heard howler monkeys at night and in the mornings. Arenal national park, volcano and lake close distance. Very scenic area, friendly people and great activities. Hikes, wildlife, sky treks and tram. We did not want to leave this area. Staff were friendly and accomodating.

Room Tip: Choose a room a little distance away from office for a quite stay.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bdaytrip57
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Im not sure where to start with this place so I guess I will say a couple good things: The landscaping surrounding all of the "rooms" was very nice, and there was a lot of wildlife on the property (but where isnt there in CR?). That's about it though. I tend to write too much so I will bullet point these things, and feel free to send me questions via PM if you want more:
-Entire Resort shuts down at 10pm. It was so bad the italian restaurant kicked us out at 10PM insisting we pay the check and wouldnt let us order Dessert. This includes the poolside bars
-Expensive: Everything is overpriced including drinks and food at the bar
-Far: Since everything shuts down at 10pm, you are screwed if you want to eat or drink after since it is outside of walking distance to anything else.
-Service: I wasn't even allowed to speak with a manager in regards to the italian restaurant literally throwing us out.
-Pools: The mineral springs I dont think were mineral, most pools were small, oh and the staff doesnt let you stay in any of the pools if it's raining (they claim because of thunder/lightning, however there were plenty of times when the thunder was gone and we couldnt go in)
-Atmosphere: There isn't one. This was the only place in CR where I felt like I was at Disney World (which I hate) and not latin America. Groups of tourists and school kids, not fun.
-Someone else said Soulless: I agree, a lot of asphalt and yellow lines, it all felt contrived despite the view and setting
Bottom Line: If you are looking for a place that feels more like Florida than Costa Rica, and don't mind paying a lot, getting bad service, and going to sleep at 10pm then this is the place for you.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Jason W
hotel-arenal-springs, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Arenal Springs Resort and Spa, responded to this review, 13 November 2015
Hi Jason W
We are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay at our hotel and we hope that in your next vacation everything is going well, but want to take your comment to clarify some details that are important for other people to have a clearer idea of ​​how is our hotel.

1) This is a nature area where we have many activities during the day and most of the guests need rest, it is for that reason that all hotels in this area close their facilities at 10:00 pm to avoid the noise and our guests can sleep peacefully, if someone is looking for nightlife this is not the recommended area.

2) All hotels in this area where we have hot springs, are completely natural and come from the same volcano, we are also the only hotel where our hot springs are exclusive only for our guests.

3) the security at our hotel is super important and we are in the rainforest where it is very frequent thunderstorms, is for that reason that we take very seriously the safety of our guests.

4) We are a hotel where any guest with a disability and might need to I use a wheelchair could go anywhere from our hotel.

thank you very much for allowing us in your comment to clarify these important details.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#15 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#5 of 63 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#2 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Hotel El Silencio del Campo
#3 of 58 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Arenal Springs Resort and Spa? Share your experiences!