“Wow, wow, wow, your home away from home”
Review of Arenal Green Hotel

Arenal Green Hotel
Temecula, CA
“Wow, wow, wow, your home away from home”
Reviewed 2 May 2009

Our room was cozy, and spotless clean. We were lucky to have stayed here 3 wonderful nights and wish we would've stayed longer. German, the owner, and his family, were very welcoming. They made us feel like part of their family. We were glad to stay here first, since it was our first time in Arenal. They informed us of all the activities in the area. They even have a little restaurant and the food was excellent. We loved everything about it. This place is a definite must stay. We will definitely be back soon!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
jentigua
Reviewed 27 April 2009

I began my trip with Arenal Green. This was a wonderful beginning of my trip, and wish I could have ended it there as well.

This is a small mostly family run hotel. The staff was fabulous!!! The food was great, and they could not have been nicer people. I felt completely safe and taken care of. They made me feel like part of the family.

German (owner), Victoria (chef), and Alejandra (hospitality) all treated me extremely well. I did several tours there, all recommended by Alejandra. I thoroughly enjoyed this leg of my trip.

Thank you so much for such a wonderful comfortable stay!

Jen

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
New York
Reviewed 23 April 2009

I recently spent a wonderful 3 days at Hotel Arenal Green and would go back in a heartbeat! The small cabin my boyfriend and I stayed in was just perfect! It was spotlessly clean with a comfortable bed, great view from our small porch, and A/C (which was nice during the hot afternoons). Some other nice details were the fridge in the room and the huge shower. The breakfast was enormous and absolutely delicious! The hotel is located on a quiet road just a little outside of La Fortuna, which is ideal because the town itself is noisy and congested. This is a perfect place to stay if you’re looking for a great deal on a basic but charming hotel in a peaceful setting.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
East Brunswick, New Jersey
Reviewed 22 April 2009

We stayed at the villa of hotel since we were a family of 5 rather than booking 2 rooms. Even with 5 of us (with 3 teens) in one room, it did not feel crowded as the room was huge! The outdoor patio space with the hammock was great. Since the villa is in the back of the property, we were able to see the cows wandering around in the morning. You felt far away from the noise of LaFortuna but you were only a 3 minute drive away.

While the hotel is basic, it is super clean and you can't beat the hospitality of the owner, German and his staff. We booked all our tours through the hotel and saved $10-$15 over person (with a family of 5 this adds up in savings!).

German also provided transportation for our family of 5 to the hot springs, to town and San Jose Airport. We also took advantage of the restaurant on site. Lunch/Dinner was $7 max per plate. Breakfast was great and in big portions. There is an computer with internet in the lobby for guest use to check flights, email, etc for no charge. Laundry was done for very cheap.

To top it off, German let my daughter ride their horse in the property! My daughter was ecstatic! I san't say enough about the hospitality you are given. They treat you like family and go out of their way for you. While this is not a 5 star resort, you certainly get 5 star service!

Across the street is a nice art gallery. We bought a ton of stuff there as the prices were 15-20% cheaper than other shops in Arenal and Playa Hermosa in Guanacaste (where we were previously).

See my pics!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
Athen, GA
Reviewed 9 April 2009

We looked at reviews on TripAdvisor.com prior to our trip and narrowed our choices to 3 hotels in La Fortuna. We decided on Hotel Arenal Green and were not disappointed. The cabins were spotless and the owner, German, treated us like family. He arranged horseback riding to the waterfall, a trip to Cano Negro, and even took us to Los Laureles thermal baths one evening. The food at the open air restaurant was excellent. He has wifi available at the lobby as well as a desktop available for guests use. The rooms had two large beds which comfortably fit our family of four. The bathroom was large with a shower. The room had a remote control air conditioner. There was a good view of Mount Arenal Volcano (Volcan Arenal) from the lawn but the lava flows cannot be seen from the La Fortuna side of the volcano at the present time. You would have to be staying on the other side to see the night time glow of the lava flows. See Arenal.net for the location of the active lava flows. German was willing to drive us at night to see the lava flows. Anything that we needed was provided; all we had to do was ask. The hotel is on a quiet road to La Fortuna waterfall and the trees often had tropical birds in them. For the money, I don't see how you can do any better.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Suley1
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 6 April 2009

We rented 2 rooms at Arenal Green and absolutely loved it.

The hotel owner/guide is very welcoming. He setup a zipline tour, a hot springs tour, and a volcano tour for us. He even gave us rides for cheaper than the tour companies wanted to charge us (and brought free drinks for the ride). He even taught us how to make the typical Costa Rican breakfast that they serve in the little mini-restaurant there. Simply can't say enough about this.

As far as location goes, the hotel is right where we wanted to be. It was a nice walk uphill to the waterfall where you can go swimming. Down the hill is a short walk to a small city with lots of little restaurants to eat at. In the city there are taxis that can take you wherever you want to go (about $3 for 6 people from the hotel to the city center).

The rooms themselves are very clean and bug free (which is sort of amazing in Costa Rica). The shower was always hot and had better pressure than my shower back home. The air conditioning kept us cool which was also very nice. Also free internet is a huge bonus. Right outside the rooms is a nice little patio with a table and chairs. Great for sitting out and relaxing.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled with friends
Redmond, OR
Reviewed 2 April 2009

We just returned from our first visit to Costa Rica. I found Hotel Arenal Green on Trip Advisor and booked our reservations based on the reviews I found here. What a great decision! Monica and Germain are just as wonderful as the other reviewers stated. They handled our initial inquiries via email extremely promptly and professionally and were great about answering our questions about the area before we even showed up.

Monica checked us in and reconfirmed not only the reservation she had made for us at Eco Termales but also the one we had made on our own at Tabacon. Germain drove us to and picked us up from Tabacon for a very reasonable $20. I would highly recommend taking advantage of this service as the springs can wipe you out and it also allows you to have a couple cocktails and not worry about driving back in the dark. I went to get coffee the first morning and the second morning Germain showed up at my door with a small carafe, remembering that I had wanted some the first morning. Those little extra touches make a huge difference in your experience. I could go on about the little nuances in service but will suffice it to say, only the most grouchy traveler could find anything wrong with the service at this family run hotel.

The cabins were very comfortable, clean, and quaint. The hotel is a little out of town, which is nice because most of the other hotels we saw were right on the main highway and didn't feel as secluded. We had a dinner and breakfast at the hotel restaurant and both were very good and very reasonably priced.

My daughter and I walked to the waterfall while the other members of our party drove. It is only about 3km but most of it is up hill, so I would recommend doing this early before it gets too hot.

There is a great art gallery across the street from the hotel(Taino Gallery), which we wandered into to kill time and ended up buying most of our souvenirs there. The owner was awesome and very friendly.

All in all, I would recommend this hotel to anyone that wants a reasonably priced, authentic experience while visiting the La Fortuna area.

Stayed March 2009, travelled with family