“friendly and super helpful family owns this hotel.”
Review of Hotel Monte Real

Hotel Monte Real
Fort Wayne, IN
“friendly and super helpful family owns this hotel.”
Reviewed 1 February 2009

Perfect location just two blocks from downtown. Very safe, clean and pretty location along a creek where we saw a sloth with baby, tucans en two large iguanas in the trees by the pool.
Owners were super friendly: spent at least 40 minutes explaining different options for excursions and did our laundry for minimal fee when we came back soaked from an excursion.
The grounds and rooms are very clean and well kept and we enjoyed meeting another family and exchanging stories by the clean pool.
Just perfect! :-)

• Liked — Friendlyness, location and cleanlyness
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 December 2008

loved it - spent four days peering through the rain trying to se the lesser-spotted volcano, but the accomodation was great. the owner went out of his way to look after us and the location is great for a (very short) stroll into town! rooms comfortable and very clean. recommended.

• Liked — the owners attention to service
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank londonmammal
New York
Reviewed 22 August 2008

Very nice cozy hotel, clean spacious rooms, friendly owners/ staff, excellent location. It looks like this hotel is owned by the family so they go out of the way to accommodate your needs. The only negative comment I have is that they gave us only 2 towels but I’m pretty sure that if we asked for more we would get them. The year before I stayed at Arenal Paraiso which was horrible (see my review of this hotel). I thought that proximity to the volcano was a good thing but we had to take a taxi to go everywhere- restaurants, shops, tour companies. That’s why this year we decided to stay in Arenal and take all tours from there and Monte Real was a perfect choice of the hotel. Another bonus- you can use internet for free.

• Liked — location, value, attitude
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dinamka
New York City
Reviewed 20 August 2008

We booked a room here last minute for one night and opted for the "Standard" Room, which is not shown in any of the pictures (they are of the Premium Rooms). I'm sure the Premium Rooms are nice, but the "Sub-Standard" better describes the Standard Rooms we paid for. We paid about US $55, but I would felt better about the whole thing if I had paid about $35-$40.

First and foremost, there were two holes in our room. And when its raining, which it did very heavily, the place leaks. Second, the room itself was kinda depressing because of the old decor, creaky fan, and of course the leaks. Third, sitting on the porch was unspectacular. Finally, the bathroom was a little grimy, the towels were very stiff and old from overuse, and the shower was lukewarm.

The only redeeming quality was the helpful staff who provided tour guidance and transportation advice for our next destination. But that wasn't what we were paying for.

• Stayed August 2008
1 Thank urbanwarrior
DC
Reviewed 22 May 2008

The hotel was very clean and the rooms were nicely remodeled. The staff was young, kind, and spoke very good English. Upon entering the rooms (3 total), the sliding glass door in room 1 was cracked, the air conditioner in room 2 was leaking everywhere, and room 3 had no TV or AirCon remotes. We reported these problems and the gentleman at the desk assured me the door had been cracked for a while and was awaiting repairs. Neither of the other two problems were fixed.

Flash forward - 3 weeks after leaving Costa Rica, my credit card is charged a random $56. I inquire and am told that my party broke the glass door and that we were responsible to pay. Not only that, but they charged the credit card used to reserve the rooms, not the one used to pay for the rooms, which is unlawful. They were unwilling to resolve the issue, and said that the gentleman at the desk was never told about any of the three issues with the rooms. My credit card company is currently looking into the charge to try and resolve it.

Nice hotel to stay in, just make sure you check your entire room and I would recommend demanding a walk-through at check-out.

• Stayed April 2008
4 Thank bennybmd
US
Reviewed 12 May 2008

We were amazed at the value; A Family of 4 for $53/night. The kids called it their favorite hotel of the entire vacation.

The back of the hotel is on a small river; saw Iguanas and Toucans. Our balcony had a view of the volano, but not the side with the Lava. The pool was small but the kids loved it. (Pools here are unheated, even at my brother's more upscale hotel) The hotel is well maintained.

If you decide to stay in town, which gives you more dining options, it's a great choice. My brother stayed on the other side of the mountain, but had to drive to see lava anyways.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 22 March 2008

I was initially a bit put off by our superior room because the lights were flourescent and very dim, and made me feel a bit as if I was in an insane asylum. After my eyes adjusted to the dimness, however, I was pleasantly surprised to see a large, clean room, with a nice large bathroom. The bed felt a bit hard when I sat on it, but was not at all uncomfortable to sleep on, and the linens appeared to be fresh and clean. We started with a room on the bottom floor. But the second day we moved to the other building to an upstairs room, and had a spectacular view of the volcano. By far the most enjoyable part of the hotel was the pool! In between activities we were able to throw on our bathing suits, grab our towels, and go lie out in the gorgeous sun. The grounds are very nicely manicured, with lush vegetation and a little path leading down to a creek in the back. The owners and their children were all extremely pleasant and accommodating. They set up a canopy tour for us, and called Tabacon and set up an appointment at the Spa for us.

Overall, a very pleasant stay. If and when I return to La Fortuna, if I stay in town, I'll definitely go back to the Monte Real.

• Liked — The pool!
  • Disliked — The weird lights
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple