“Definitely worth the money”

Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Miami, Florida
“Definitely worth the money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 May 2014

Beautiful grounds, pools, farm, rooms, etc. The pools are three hot and one cold; and amazing. The best thing about them is that you have them all to yourself. There was no one else at the pools on both occasions we were there. I stayed at the most popular place and their pools. It was so packed with people brought in bus loads, I could not enjoy the pools. This place is truly a gem. Highly recommend it. Definitely worth the money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelfanatic1026

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (350)
Grand Rapids, MI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just returned from our stay at Silencio del Campo last week and recommend it whole heartedly! The hotel has a very intimate, boutique hotel sort of feel.

We were a family of four (2 adults and 2 children who are 3 and 5 years old). The grounds are absolutely beautiful with pretty flowers, streams running through the property, well-maintained vegetation, and lovely pools. We took advantage of all of the pools/springs and the kids loved exploring them to see which one had the perfect temperature! We felt a little like Goldie Locks!

When we first decided to come to Arenal and were looking for lodging, I was turned off by the pictures of this place. For whatever reason, I wrongly thought the bungalows looked dated, dark and dreary from the photos and I wanted something a little more up-to-date, while still having its own hot spring system. It came down to the Springs Resort (EXTREMELY pricey), Tabacon, and Silencio. In the end, I couldn't stomach the prices at the Springs and Tabacon felt very commercialized from the reviews, so we "settled" for the least expensive of the three.

Let me tell you, I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only did we not "settle", but we loved this place. It was far from dated. The bungalows are very modern and comfortable and best of all, exceptionally clean. Spotless, even! Our room was 24 and was located in a quiet corner at the back of the property. We had two queen size beds and a twin bed. The room was equipped with beautiful dark wood furniture, perhaps the quietest and most comfortable beds I've ever slept on, and a HUGE and lovely shower in the bathroom.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food onsite was a solid 4 on a scale of 1 - 5 and was convenient. There were nights when my kids were just too tired to get dressed up and go out for a meal in town, so having a good, on-site option was wonderful.

Upon check in, we were told that our room came with a complimentary facial, which was completely unexpected and wonderful. I made my appointment at the spa (which I would never have ordinarily taken advantage of on a family vacation with my kids), but boy was it nice! The spa was the prettiest, most relaxing one I've ever seen. It was a screened in room with beautiful beds for massages and facials and no sounds except the birds of the jungle. I think it was the most relaxing 30 minutes of my life and I was so glad I went.

My kids loved milking the cows at 7:30am on the hotel's farm. Unfortunately, we were never around at 10am when the egg collection took place, but I'm sure that would've been fun, too!

My kids also loved the playground that's located on the grounds. There's a teeter totter and swing set that was a nice diversion for a few minutes each morning!

Silencio is also very well-located. It sits about a 7 minute drive from the town of La Fortuna and all of its restaurants, so it's easy to go out for dinner or lunch if you wish to do so. It's also located about 15 minutes from Arenal Lake and the Hanging Bridges.

One of the days, we took the kids to the Springs Resort to swim. A two day pass (they don't sell a single day pass) is $50 per adult and free for kids. We swam there all day and explored their many hot springs, pools, and their water slide. The kids loved it, as did we. The resort is absolutely breathtaking, but for the price (about $650/night) we preferred the small, intimate feel of our hotel and for $100, our family could still spend the day at the fancier resort. Yet the pools at Silencio are so lovely, I don't even know that the day pass to the Springs was necessary.

I really can't say enough good things about Silencio. It was our favorite place we stayed during our trip (we also stayed at the much more expensive Arenas del Mar in Manuel Antonio and found Silencio cleaner and nicer). I recommend this place without reservation!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 24, which is at the back of the property and away from the main road. It was quie...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SquatchGR
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had a wonderful 4 day stay at El Silencio. The location is good as it is very close to all of the most popular attractions in La Fortuna. The staff were also wonderful: polite, helpful and very knowledgeable. Leading up to out trip I had several questions and Eliomar was always quick to respond to my emails, and he was also very helpful during the length of our stay. The rooms are very well appointed: coffee maker, small refrigerator, flat screen television, safe for valuables, hair dryer, 2 nice fluffy robes, spare blanket for the bed incase you get cold and they also provide lotion,shampoo and soap(some hotels in Costa Rica do not provide any complimentary toiletries). The only thing the room did not have was microwave or an alarm clock/clock radio. We were also able to access the free wifi in our room and in the pool/bar area. The hotel has a small farm with cows and chickens which is where the eggs for your daily complementary breakfast come from! The food we ate at breakfast was all very good. The grounds are beautiful, lush with tropical plants and birds all built around the hot springs which are divided into several little hot tubs. If you are the type of traveller that wants to get away from all of the crowds and experience peace and quiet, but still have great service and all the comforts of home then El Silencio is the place!

Room Tip: If noises bother you, ask for a room away from the farm side as I noticed the chickens could be quit...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FloridaFunSeekers
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

What a beautiful place. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The rooms were clean, spacious, air conditioned (you control the temp), and the grounds were full of flowers, trees of all sorts, and lots of birds - we even saw toucans while sitting at the pool. The pool was a perfect temp for light swimming or lazy lounging. And the thermal pools were just charming, from small grottos to large pools with varied heat and seating. The open air restaurant was beautiful, the service was relaxed, and the food was good - I personally found the vegetarian dishes better than the meat dishes. Access to town is by taxi - $7 or $8 each way. When the clouds part, you find yourself next to a picturesque volcano - Arenal. I would recommend.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Richard V
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

We visited Arenal Volcano and stayed at Hotel El Silencio del Campo during our stop there. The hotel and property itself is quite charming and relaxing. Its the perfect place to come back to after a day of hiking, trailing, ziplining, waterfalling or any other activity within the area. The rooms are more than I expected and look so much better in person than in some of the photos.

There is a pool, hot springs, and even a farm where cow milking is an option if youre interested every morning. Its a 3 minute drive back to the town centre where you can enjoy some great authentic meals, and its a 5 minute drive towards the actual volcano park.

What makes this place even more special are the staff. So helpful, knowledgeable, and they care. Jose at the bar will be glad to whip up some drinks for you. Make sure you talk to Elio at front desk if you have any questions.

Room Tip: We're a young couple and stayed in room 20. We were quite happy with this. Its a little further...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Joemangiacake
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2014

It's hard for me to even start to describe how much I loved El Silencio for 4 nights in April 2014! The setting is gorgeous, the staff treats you like family, and having the hot springs (and the nearby bar) on property was amazing!! We spent every afternoon/evening at the bar and springs - Jose was so friendly mixing up our margaritas and guaro sours. Plus, most of the time we had a whole hot pool to ourselves!

I don't know why people don't like the restaurant on this forum because the food was great! Somehow they have the most amazing beef, and the "fast food" selection of nachos, quesadillas and patacones rellenos did not disappoint for lunch. Breakfast was fresh fruit and a choice of gallo pinto, huevos rancheros, omelette or pancake. We stuck to gallo pinto most of the time, mmmm!

We arranged half our tours through the front desk and they set us up with great companies for hiking and horseback riding. The one recommendation that fell flat was the hanging bridges - not worth it at all if you've already hiked in the volcano park.

The spa is GORGEOUS, and it's totally worth dedicating an hour or two to it! We got a complimentary volcano facial with our 4 night stay and two of us also did massages (buy one get one 40% off deal!). The masseuses were FANTASTIC! You hear the birds chirping through the walls of the luxury tent as you relax :)

We got room 1 near the road and the wifi didn't quite reach us there, so we just had to set up camp at the bar in the evening ;) Next time I will definitely ask for a room close to the springs for convenience...and there will definitely be a next time as I'm already planning my honeymoon trip in Costa Rica and Nicaragua for this November with a stop at El Silencio!! Muchas gracias a todos!

Room Tip: Wifi didn't reach us in room 1. Next time I would request a room closer to the hot springs!
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank laureno650
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

My rating may be slightly unfair since I stayed at the Nayara hotel (much more expensive) the previous few nights, however I was pleasantly surprised with El Silencio. Room was nice, grounds are great. Love that it has a hot spring on site and you can even go to the farm and milk cows. A much different and fun experience. My only complaint is the breakfast (it's free so I cannot complain too much), but I was not impressed with the food. Luckily there are other restaurants nearby and we had a car so it didn't end up too much of an issue.

Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple