“Quiet, and clean but close to everything”

Hotel El Silencio del Campo
rutherford
“Quiet, and clean but close to everything”
Reviewed 28 May 2014 via mobile

The grounds were gorgeous. Everywhere we looked there were various types of birds and flowers. It is landscaped beautifully and it smelled lovely. I was concerned about our room because the pictures online show a dark and dank room but it was much nicer in person, large and very clean. I also thought the shower was nice. The hot springs were nice, however at times some would appear stagnant. The pool at certain times seemed turned off which want very inviting. However, this was a nice place to stay, clean, friendly, small and quiet. Is definitely not a party hotel. We rented a car, everything is nearby; downtown, hanging bridges, excursions. The breakfast portions could be larger but the tasted good. I loved the fruit the most and the staff was very accomodating.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
LuisDiegoZuniga, Propietario at Hotel El Silencio del Campo, responded to this review, 1 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for your input based on your recent stay at El Silencio. We appreciate your nice comments and recommendations. We will take into account those as one of our goals is to provide nice experiences for our clients. We are looking forward to welcoming you again in a near future. Thank you very much for choosing us!!!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (354)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here a couple if nights and loved it. The hot springs were relaxing and private to the hotel (no busses of tourists) and each cabin is well-appointed and clean. It was just the two of us, but I think the cabin could have easily fit 4. The breakfast was good with several egg options, pancakes, and the typical rice and beans. Restaurant is a good dinner or lunch option, too, and not crazily priced. If you head to town for dinner, its a quick $8 cab ride. The rooms have outdoor seating areas which are nice for reading a book while looking at the volcano. The showers were spacious (though I would have liked a better showerhead-very picky and minor point) and i was able to do some laundry no problem. We also went for a massage and I had a great masseuse. Would have had another massage with her in a heartbeat. All of the staff was very helpful and friendly, adding to the experience. There are more expensive places to stay in La Fortuna, but I would easily go back to Silencio del Campo.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing with all of us how was your experience at El Silencio. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed everything in the property. We appreciate sincerely your nice comments and we are hoping you can give us another opportunity next trip to Costa Rica and to El Silencio. Thank you very much for choosing us as one of your destinations while staying in Costa Rica.
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

A nice option for those who want to stay in a smaller hotel with hot springs on property. The gardens are gorgeous and attract lots of birds, the hot springs are well maintained and offer great views of the volcano, try the free facial at the spa, and the cabins are quiet and clean. The one area that could be improved would be the food at the restaurants. The free breakfasts and the casual menu at the pool have a couple of tasty options but I felt the main dining room dinner options were overpriced and nothing really inspiring.

Stayed April 2014
1 Thank WhereIsPaige
Dear Valued Guest,
We appreciate your comments based on your recent stay at our hotel. Thank you so much for the nice words about the hot springs and the hotel gardens. We are sad to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations about the food. We will take into consideration your suggestions. Look forward to seeing you again in a near future. Thank you for choosing us!!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 17 May 2014

Absolutely wonderful! We recently spent two nights at Hotel El Silencio during a week stay in Costa Rica. We were so happy with the hotel I wish we could have stayed longer. The property grounds are beautiful and very well kept providing the perfect backdrop to take a dip in one of the hot springs. Though there are about 20 villas on the property, you feel as you are the only people staying there. It's super quite which was perfect for relaxing after doing several activities during the day.

The staff is amazing here. Eliomar was more than helpful in arranging transportation to and from the hotel. He replied to my emails right away while I was planning the trip with little details that he thought would be helpful for our travels. We were set up for a great time before we even arrived due to his hospitality.

We ate at the restaurant several times during our stay and had wonderful meals each time. The breakfast is everything you want in an authentic costa rican meal, same goes for the dinners. All the food was very fresh and perfectly cooked. We really couldn't have asked for a better experience. The amazing view of the volcano didn't hurt either.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
4 Thank stephn29
Dear Valued Guest,
Thank you very much for sharing with all of us how was your experience at our hotel. We are very glad to hear that we were able to meet your expectations. We will keep up working hard every day to provide pleasant hotel experience. Thank you very much for giving us the opportunity to serve you and if you ever come back to Costa Rica, we will be looking forward to welcoming you again. Thank you for you choosing our property.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Beautiful grounds, pools, farm, rooms, etc. The pools are three hot and one cold; and amazing. The best thing about them is that you have them all to yourself. There was no one else at the pools on both occasions we were there. I stayed at the most popular place and their pools. It was so packed with people brought in bus loads, I could not enjoy the pools. This place is truly a gem. Highly recommend it. Definitely worth the money.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Travelfanatic1026
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviewed 12 May 2014

We just returned from our stay at Silencio del Campo last week and recommend it whole heartedly! The hotel has a very intimate, boutique hotel sort of feel.

We were a family of four (2 adults and 2 children who are 3 and 5 years old). The grounds are absolutely beautiful with pretty flowers, streams running through the property, well-maintained vegetation, and lovely pools. We took advantage of all of the pools/springs and the kids loved exploring them to see which one had the perfect temperature! We felt a little like Goldie Locks!

When we first decided to come to Arenal and were looking for lodging, I was turned off by the pictures of this place. For whatever reason, I wrongly thought the bungalows looked dated, dark and dreary from the photos and I wanted something a little more up-to-date, while still having its own hot spring system. It came down to the Springs Resort (EXTREMELY pricey), Tabacon, and Silencio. In the end, I couldn't stomach the prices at the Springs and Tabacon felt very commercialized from the reviews, so we "settled" for the least expensive of the three.

Let me tell you, I couldn't have been more wrong. Not only did we not "settle", but we loved this place. It was far from dated. The bungalows are very modern and comfortable and best of all, exceptionally clean. Spotless, even! Our room was 24 and was located in a quiet corner at the back of the property. We had two queen size beds and a twin bed. The room was equipped with beautiful dark wood furniture, perhaps the quietest and most comfortable beds I've ever slept on, and a HUGE and lovely shower in the bathroom.

The staff was friendly and accommodating. The food onsite was a solid 4 on a scale of 1 - 5 and was convenient. There were nights when my kids were just too tired to get dressed up and go out for a meal in town, so having a good, on-site option was wonderful.

Upon check in, we were told that our room came with a complimentary facial, which was completely unexpected and wonderful. I made my appointment at the spa (which I would never have ordinarily taken advantage of on a family vacation with my kids), but boy was it nice! The spa was the prettiest, most relaxing one I've ever seen. It was a screened in room with beautiful beds for massages and facials and no sounds except the birds of the jungle. I think it was the most relaxing 30 minutes of my life and I was so glad I went.

My kids loved milking the cows at 7:30am on the hotel's farm. Unfortunately, we were never around at 10am when the egg collection took place, but I'm sure that would've been fun, too!

My kids also loved the playground that's located on the grounds. There's a teeter totter and swing set that was a nice diversion for a few minutes each morning!

Silencio is also very well-located. It sits about a 7 minute drive from the town of La Fortuna and all of its restaurants, so it's easy to go out for dinner or lunch if you wish to do so. It's also located about 15 minutes from Arenal Lake and the Hanging Bridges.

One of the days, we took the kids to the Springs Resort to swim. A two day pass (they don't sell a single day pass) is $50 per adult and free for kids. We swam there all day and explored their many hot springs, pools, and their water slide. The kids loved it, as did we. The resort is absolutely breathtaking, but for the price (about $650/night) we preferred the small, intimate feel of our hotel and for $100, our family could still spend the day at the fancier resort. Yet the pools at Silencio are so lovely, I don't even know that the day pass to the Springs was necessary.

I really can't say enough good things about Silencio. It was our favorite place we stayed during our trip (we also stayed at the much more expensive Arenas del Mar in Manuel Antonio and found Silencio cleaner and nicer). I recommend this place without reservation!

Room Tip: We stayed in room 24, which is at the back of the property and away from the main road. It was quie...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
4 Thank SquatchGR
Florida
Reviewed 11 May 2014

We had a wonderful 4 day stay at El Silencio. The location is good as it is very close to all of the most popular attractions in La Fortuna. The staff were also wonderful: polite, helpful and very knowledgeable. Leading up to out trip I had several questions and Eliomar was always quick to respond to my emails, and he was also very helpful during the length of our stay. The rooms are very well appointed: coffee maker, small refrigerator, flat screen television, safe for valuables, hair dryer, 2 nice fluffy robes, spare blanket for the bed incase you get cold and they also provide lotion,shampoo and soap(some hotels in Costa Rica do not provide any complimentary toiletries). The only thing the room did not have was microwave or an alarm clock/clock radio. We were also able to access the free wifi in our room and in the pool/bar area. The hotel has a small farm with cows and chickens which is where the eggs for your daily complementary breakfast come from! The food we ate at breakfast was all very good. The grounds are beautiful, lush with tropical plants and birds all built around the hot springs which are divided into several little hot tubs. If you are the type of traveller that wants to get away from all of the crowds and experience peace and quiet, but still have great service and all the comforts of home then El Silencio is the place!

Room Tip: If noises bother you, ask for a room away from the farm side as I noticed the chickens could be quit...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank FloridaFunSeekers
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#15 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#11 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 62 in Arenal Volcano National Park

Been to Hotel El Silencio del Campo? Share your experiences!