We took this vacation while my wife was still studying and needed a break from all the stress. Costa Rica and El Silencio Del Campo proved to be a perfect choice.
“Welcome to El Silencio Del Campo. Please take your welcome drink and we are delighted to have you” were the first words with a smile from the staff when we checked in on the first day. The fresh “real” fruit juice was great and everything else following that was even better from the resort point of view.
All the cottages were rightly spaced to give privacy while not making them completely secluded from the others. The car parking and swimming pool were just a short walk from most of the rooms. The front porch of our cottage with patio furniture was great to just sit and relax while reading a book and watching the peak of the Arenal volcano (or YouTube videos on your tablet over the free Wi-Fi :-)). The room decor was in perfect harmony with the surroundings.
Following are some of the notable points about the resort
- Natural beauty within and surrounding the resort was gorgeous
- Our cottage had a direct view of Arenal volcano
- The whole resort was impeccably maintained
- The natural hot water spring in the resort premises was a great addition
- The staff was genuinely cordial and very helpful
- The food in the resort restaurant was fantastic
- A short drive or a decent walk to the town where one can shop and dine
- Possibility to book various tours right from the resort with the help of the friendly resort staff
The restaurant within the resort had great food with fresh fruit and fresh fruit juices (totally natural without any sugar added). The food was so good and fresh that we had our breakfast every single day in the restaurant without getting bored. For some of the lunches and dinners, we went into the town and tried different places. The people everywhere were ever friendly and nice.
We did zip-lining, horseback riding to “Fortuna falls’ and went on a trip to “Cano Negro”. Zip-lining location in “Arenal Volcano National Park” was a short drive (less than 15 mins) from the resort. Cano Negro was a two hour bus ride from the resort. The bus picked us up from the town and provided a great opportunity to see the real countryside of Costa Rica. For the Fortuna Falls, trip, a van picked us up from the resort and took us to the horse stables. After a decent horseback riding from there, the falls were a trek into a deep valley.
We initially booked the resort for 5 nights. On the 4th day of our stay (after 3 nights stay), my wife fell off the horse during the horseback riding I mentioned above and broke her arm. After promptly being treated at an Alajuela hospital, we requested the resort to cancel our last night stay as we wanted to go back to San Jose the next day (a day early) and check into a hotel close to the airport. The resort agreed to it without saying a word and refunded our money. They also contacted the horseback riding company and made sure they did not charge us for our trip. If not for this hiccup, our trip was perfect. But all things considered, the situation could have been a lot worse since we were away from a major city in a country where we could not speak the local language.
In spite of how the trip ended, with my wife getting seriously injured, we still fondly remember our trip to Costa Rica and our stay at El Silencio Del Campo. This is definitely a resort worth considering if you have plans to visit Arenal.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel El Silencio del Campo besides featuring a set of swimming pools, hot springs and spa, also offers its guests 23 individual villas with a small patio right outside facing the majestic Arenal Volcano, surrounded by colorful and lush gardens, that gives a natural sensation to your experience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Hotel El Silencio del Campo reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel El Silencio Del Campo Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos