“Everything you need!”

Hotel El Silencio del Campo
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

The little villas are adorable! It's like a miniature resort... It has everything you need for that special, unique vacation. Somehow nice and rustic all in one. The hot springs are clean and nice, with a bar the delivers to whatever pool you happen to be swimming in. Complimentary breakfast is delicious - fresh fruits and something traditional or more contemporary. The have a small farm on site providing fresh eggs, milk and cheese (kids can help milk the cows and collect eggs!). The grounds are impeccable and the staff is very friendly and helpful. If we ever come to visit Costa Rica again, we are staying here!

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank 79cargirl

Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

Housekeeping did a very good job cleaning the room. You can instantly smell exotic natural fragrances when we walk in. Cabin #21 was by the farm, but it didn't smell much like it. It was an easy walk each morning to Milk the cow and drink its fresh milk (optional) or get the eggs from the chicken coop. It's An experience in itself especially for the kids. It's rainy season so we only got to see 1/3 lower part of arenal. But it has a very good back drop view. This location is Close enough to town but far enough for privacy. All hot springs was so awesome. Each hot spring had temperature all different from each other.. Forget paying at tabacon! Breakfast in the morning was great, yummy and convenient. Ordered the huegos rancheros with picco de gallo everyday. There was fresh squeeze oj and chocolate milk for kids, a plate of fresh fruit selection to share. The only negative comment I have is at the end when checking out. The laundry service Lady in the front said "it's like $1.50, not too expensive." I should have clarified that considering the language barrier between the two of is...they charged me $67 for a bag of dirty laundry. They saw how shock and upset I was so they lowered it down to $45. Still disappointed by the time I drove away but it's also
My bad and I didn't want that experience to ruin the overall service and amenities we received..overall, would highly recommend this place to anybody and everybody..

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank shannieshine
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Like so many others have already said, Silencio del Campo is a peaceful paradise. The rooms are clean and spacious (ours had 3 beds and still plenty of space). The gardens are beautiful with lots of wildlife (landscaping almost hides the monster hotel next door- you really don't notice it unless you're at the cold pool looking directly at it). The hot springs are awesome and we had them to ourselves most of the stay.

But what really made this stay special was the service. When we arrived we immediately wanted to try out the hot springs. We stepped out the door and it was raining (pretty typical). One of the staff was walking by with an umbrella and he just gave it to me and walked off into the rain! That night we made some cocktails in the room. We didn't have any ice and so I called the front desk to ask if there was an ice machine. A few minutes later the security guard showed up at our door with a bucket of ice!

If I make it to Arenal again the only thing I would change is add an extra day. Two nights was enough to see La Fortuna waterfall, spend the day at Tabacon, and relax at the hotel but I wish we had one more day to hike or horseback the trails at Arenal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 June 2014

We had two nights in the Arenal area, and elected to stay at El Silencio del Campo, primarily because of the TA reviews, and also because of location. We wanted a place with hot springs, so we wouldn't have to go to the local public springs. We were not disappointed. The staff was so friendly; the "cooked to order" breakfast was a wonderful (fresh fruit, fresh eggs, fresh everything!) start to our days; and the hot springs were wonderful! Each room is an individual bungalow with a little porch - great for late nite wine! We had gorgeous views of the volcano from our front door (unit #14?). My regret? That we didn't have time tos take advantage of facials at the spa.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 June 2014

We stayed 3 nights at El Silencio del Campo and could not have been more impressed. The villas are beautiful - we stayed in #20, which is towards the back of the property. It was very spacious, gorgeously decorated, impeccably clean, and so pleasant to come back to after a day of excursions. We were close to the spa and hot springs, and farther away from the main road, which was nice.
The free breakfasts were delicious - I have never liked corn tortillas, but the ones that came with my typical gallo pinto meal were absolutely wonderful.
The free facial was luxurious and so relaxing. I couldn't get over how beautiful and peaceful the spa area was. I wish we had had the time for full massages.
I was disappointed to not have the time to go milk the cows - I think it is incredible that the eggs, milk, and cheese you eat in their restaurant come from their own farm. Couldn't be fresher!
The springs were amazing and we had no problem getting one all to ourselves on the 2 nights we used them. So glad to not have to spend $$ going somewhere just for the springs.

All of that said, we were the most impressed with the staff.
Jose (the now famous bartender), is such a personable and great guy - we enjoyed chatting with him and sampling his creations. LOVED the virgin pina colada.
The reception staff are AMAZING. So helpful and friendly, and they remember everything! They would ask about our excursions at the end of the day - and even know where we went. How they keep track of that with all the guests, I don't know. Remarkable. The level of coordination and communication between the staff seemed flawless.
On our final day, our tour pick-up was at 5:30 am, before breakfast opened. Knowing this, they had fresh fruit and sandwiches sent to our room the night before so we could have breakfast.

We loved El Silencio del Campo and hope to return someday. Top Notch Hotel!

Room Tip: Lower numbers are closer to restaurant and reception, higher numbers are closer to springs and spa a...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

We took this vacation while my wife was still studying and needed a break from all the stress. Costa Rica and El Silencio Del Campo proved to be a perfect choice.

“Welcome to El Silencio Del Campo. Please take your welcome drink and we are delighted to have you” were the first words with a smile from the staff when we checked in on the first day. The fresh “real” fruit juice was great and everything else following that was even better from the resort point of view.

All the cottages were rightly spaced to give privacy while not making them completely secluded from the others. The car parking and swimming pool were just a short walk from most of the rooms. The front porch of our cottage with patio furniture was great to just sit and relax while reading a book and watching the peak of the Arenal volcano (or YouTube videos on your tablet over the free Wi-Fi :-)). The room decor was in perfect harmony with the surroundings.

Following are some of the notable points about the resort
- Natural beauty within and surrounding the resort was gorgeous
- Our cottage had a direct view of Arenal volcano
- The whole resort was impeccably maintained
- The natural hot water spring in the resort premises was a great addition
- The staff was genuinely cordial and very helpful
- The food in the resort restaurant was fantastic
- A short drive or a decent walk to the town where one can shop and dine
- Possibility to book various tours right from the resort with the help of the friendly resort staff

Food:
The restaurant within the resort had great food with fresh fruit and fresh fruit juices (totally natural without any sugar added). The food was so good and fresh that we had our breakfast every single day in the restaurant without getting bored. For some of the lunches and dinners, we went into the town and tried different places. The people everywhere were ever friendly and nice.

Tours:
We did zip-lining, horseback riding to “Fortuna falls’ and went on a trip to “Cano Negro”. Zip-lining location in “Arenal Volcano National Park” was a short drive (less than 15 mins) from the resort. Cano Negro was a two hour bus ride from the resort. The bus picked us up from the town and provided a great opportunity to see the real countryside of Costa Rica. For the Fortuna Falls, trip, a van picked us up from the resort and took us to the horse stables. After a decent horseback riding from there, the falls were a trek into a deep valley.

Special Situation:
We initially booked the resort for 5 nights. On the 4th day of our stay (after 3 nights stay), my wife fell off the horse during the horseback riding I mentioned above and broke her arm. After promptly being treated at an Alajuela hospital, we requested the resort to cancel our last night stay as we wanted to go back to San Jose the next day (a day early) and check into a hotel close to the airport. The resort agreed to it without saying a word and refunded our money. They also contacted the horseback riding company and made sure they did not charge us for our trip. If not for this hiccup, our trip was perfect. But all things considered, the situation could have been a lot worse since we were away from a major city in a country where we could not speak the local language.

Bottom line:
In spite of how the trip ended, with my wife getting seriously injured, we still fondly remember our trip to Costa Rica and our stay at El Silencio Del Campo. This is definitely a resort worth considering if you have plans to visit Arenal.

Room Tip: Cottage No. 10 has a great direct view of the Arenal volcano (see photo) and a short walk to the car...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2014

It took me such a long time to decide on which hotel to stay at, and I was so relieved I chose El Silencio del Campo once we arrived! We stayed here for 5 nights and loved it. I wanted somewhere relaxing, beautiful, low-key (not fussy like some hotels), and with helpful, friendly staff. Perfect!

We were greeted with cold fruit smoothies upon arrival. The cabina (#14) was spacious for us and our 2 daughters (ages 10 & 14). Cabina #14 is located close to the middle of the complex, near the pool. It was easy to walk to the hot springs/bar area, spa, and the office/reception area. Yes, there is a big hotel next to El Silencio, but it didn't interfere with our stay at all (no additional noise). We were treated to a beautiful, clear view of the volcano on one of the days we were there--such a treat!

Besides having a spacious, clean room (with a/c--a must!), beautiful grounds, amazing hot springs (we never went to other hot springs...there were plenty at this location, which saved us a lot of money), and a nice cold pool, the real gem of this property is the staff. Everyone who helped us was so friendly and helpful. The employees at the front desk were great helping us decide which activities would be best for our family. They scheduled them at no additional charge. In one case, my daughter & I wanted to go to Proyecto Asis, but upon finding it was $40 each way for a taxi, they told me we could take the taxi to the bus & then the bus to the center for less than half the cost of a taxi.

Jose, the bartender & breakfast server, is a great guy. He helped our girls (and us!) learn a bit of Spanish and was so friendly. He also was very friendly and answered all of our tourist questions! Be sure to ask for him to make a "Natti Colada" for you. It is his special drink, and it's so delicious!

The breakfast that's included with the hotel price is delicious. I didn't think I'd like it, but I loved the typico gallo pinto breakfast. The fresh fruit & juice that comes with the meal are great, too.
Some nights, we ordered dinner from the bar area (we recommend the chicken quesadilla!) instead of going out. It was very low-key, good food, and relaxing.

Our girls also enjoyed milking the cow in the morning, and I enjoyed the free facial (from Jasmina) so much that I booked a massage later that week.

This is one of our favorite hotels of all time!

Room Tip: Like everyone else has said, ask for a room away from the road. We loved #14.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family