Leaves & Lizards was such an incredible treat and a definite highlight in our trip to CR. We arrived in the rain and Steve took us to our cabin -- Monkey (we think this one was the best -- most secluded, fantastic view of Arenal) - and we sat on the big covered porch and enjoyed the sounds of the rain. It cleared up eventually and we had fantastic views of Arenal. The cabin was lovely, with hardwood floors, huge picture windows, whimsical paintings on the wall by the owner, Steve, and really comfortable beds.
The food was excellent and the view from the open air dining room was stunning, with humming birds and views of the volcano. One morning, we went down to the farm with the kids and milked the cows, gathered the eggs and said hello to the pigs. Leaves and Lizards is committed to sustainability -- the eggs and cream and milk from the farm are served in the meals and the leftovers are fed to the pigs. We all thought the butter tasted amazing!
Leaves and Lizards is like family camp -- we stayed in our cabin and walked to the dining hall. It's not for you if you want to lie by a pool. But, if you want to stay in a pristine patch of CR that Debbie and Steve are trying to reforest, and enjoy the birds and sights and sounds of landscape with no development, the this place is for you. We absolutely loved it!
Debbie helped out with activities, too -- her recommendations were excellent. We ziplined with Aventuro Mundo (total blast!) and went horseback riding to a waterfall on the Leaves and Lizards horses -- our guide was fantastic and we saw lots of birds.
If we were to go back to CR, we'd stay at Leaves and Lizards for sure! It's a bit out of the way and you need 4-wheel drive, but you pretty much need that every where in CR. It's also nice to be out of the hustle and bustle of La Fortuna. Leaves & Lizards is a farm, 20 minutes from La Fortuna and it is breathtakingly beautiful. Debbie and Steve have created a very special place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This secluded resort is located on 26 acres with spectacular viewing of the Arenal Volcano near La Fortuna. Enjoy the panoramic vista of Arenal and Cerro Chato from a hammock on your porch or from your comfortable, orthopedic, queen sized beds with Egyptian cotton sheets. Meals prepared using locally grown ingredients at the Lava Lizard on-site dining facility. Guests are invited to help with daily 'chores' on this working farm. Milk a cow, collect eggs for breakfast or groom a horse. Enjoy private horseback riding, professional guide service, on site spa and 2 km of on site nature trails. The vision at Leaves and Lizards is to create the perfect blend of adventure, discovery and tranquility for each guest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com so you can book your Leaves and Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Hotel La Fortuna De San Carlos
- Leaves And Lizards Arenal Volcano Cabin Retreat Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos