“Jurassic park”

Hotel Kokoro Arenal
Reviewed 21 January 2014

Nice and comfortable hotel, in beautyful surroundings and close to vulkan tracks. Go to the hot spa and then swimmingpool in the pool and then back again, and you Will sleep like a baby. Nice breackfast and tip top service.

1  Thank Gitterita

Reviewed 21 January 2014

The staff at Hotel Kokoro are really nice but the place is worn out and needs some care and attention. The website is deceiving, it isn't like the impression you get from the pictures. The pool, for example, has seen better days and doesn't look like an inviting place to swim or hang out.

We weren't impressed when we had a look round on arrival and a builder was smoking on one of the paths near the hot springs (which don't open till 4pm). It didn't get much better than that.

We stayed in a 'eco-cabina superior king' which was $20 more a night than we were quoted in the reservation. The room was large and looked out on the volcano but also onto the road into the hotel. We discovered a couple of worms in the bathroom which grossed us out a bit and the bed was damp. The breakfasts were terrible - the only thing edible was cold pancakes. We were so disappointed after our first night of three that we checked out and into another hotel down the road which was luxurious - for $100 more each night it was like travelling to another stratosphere of hotel. The staff at Kokoro were understanding but only gave us a refund for one night of the three, even though we only stayed one night.

The hotel doesn't do dinner so you have to go to the reception and order take out from the menus there. It's quite far out of town so you have to get taxis everywhere, which gets expensive. We decided to hire a car from Alamo in La Fortuna town and use it to get to the airport at the end of the trip too. This was great because we had freedom to explore the area.

Reviewed 21 January 2014

We followed the Tripadvisor's recommendation and were not disappointed. Very nice service. The place is basically a family-run operation (the owner's family has some Oriental background since kokoro means "heart" in Japanese) and the atmosphere is indeed family-like. Very nice happy hours in the open lobby. Dinners were rather slow to serve, so after the first one we preferred to eat out.

The room was very much OK. However, having to throw the used toilet tissue to a bin rather than flush it reminded me of some hotels in Greece and the Balkans and raised some eyebrows. I understand they are using septic tanks, but really?

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 January 2014

We stayed at the Kokoro over Christmas and the accommodations were great....quiet, clean and comfortable. Spectacular view of the Arenal Volcano. I can't say enough about the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff. They were particularly accommodating even when we wanted to leave a day early and needed help finding accommodations in another location. The grounds were beautiful, had the pool to ourselves and the on-sight hot springs were a real treat! The only detractor was service in the restaurant was slow the night we ate there....but in fairness, I think they may have been having some staffing issues that night. The meal itself was very good. Staff recommended a guided tour with Giovanni...the highlight of our trip, I must say. He could spot an animal or bird from a mile away...amazing.... and he was very entertaining! A must if you are in La Fortuna! Would stay there again without hesitation!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 January 2014

We stayed there December 31st - January 5th 2014. We thought the place was very clean and very cozy. The price was not bad for what was available. I do agree the water in the shower could be a little warmer and the pressure. We loved the staff and they were very helpful. They had great advice on restaurants and site seeing. Also we were able to call to the United States for no additional cost. I believe they used a Voice over IP service and it worked great for us! We stayed at a different hotel and they were charging $10 for a 5 minute call.
Again to be fair there are other hotels out there you should shop around but for the price it was a very good value for my wife and I, since we just needed a place to sleep and get ready for the next day!
Arenal is beautiful!

Reviewed 7 January 2014

Stayed at the Hotel Kokoro for three nights just before Thanksgiving. I liked the idea of the separate "cabinas". They were kept very clean and well supplied. However, the shower did not function properly. The water would be hot for a brief period of time and then go cold (we were in Cabin 2). We would have to turn the shower off, give it a few seconds, turn it back on and it would gradually become hot again and then the cycle would start over. I did report this but was told that there wasn't much they could do. (I noticed that someone who recently reviewed this hotel complained about the a/c in Cabin 1, which is still not fixed as my son was staying in that cabin and said it was not working properly.) There was also a leak from the shower which we also reported for the sake of the hotel as it was bad enough to eventually effect the integrity of the wall.
While we were there, there was a wedding and most of the guests were wedding guests. I will have to say that they did a beautiful job of decorating for the wedding. It was very pretty. The grounds around the Kokoro are pretty as well. Unfortunately, the hotspring baths were not working (I guess they only use them at certain times.) Also, the restaurant was closed for dinner. Breakfast the first morning was not much to write home about; it was almost as if they forgot to put some of it out, eg., syrup for the pancakes, etc. When the wedding party arrived, the breakfasts got better (thank goodness).
Also, because there was a wedding there, I believe, an unfortunate event happened where several of the cabins were broken into that were farthest away from the reception area. The hotel had hired one security person but he was not enough to cover the whole area continuously. Since La Fortuna/Arenal is a small town, I'm sure word got out about the wedding and the thief made plans. The staff was very concerned and sincerely apologetic (I lost my iPad Air that I had bought barely two weeks before and other folks lost mostly computer stuff). Five cabins in all were broken into and one of the guests actually scared the thief away.
The only reason I am mentioning this is because when I left I was assured that the hotel staff would keep me informed about what was happening, but I have since sent several emails and called on one occasion. It was only when I made noises about writing this review that they sent me an email verifying the theft. Hopefully, my credit card insurance will pay for the loss because the Kokoro has made no such offer. Also, the police appear to basically be uninterested in this occurrence even though I'm sure there were fingerprints since he came through a window.
Besides all this, the staff is very nice and friendly and the place is very pretty (although a little out of town so you have to drive in to eat if you are there outside high season). It does have a great view of the volcano, and had it been still erupting, it would have been a great sight!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
ichamomdad, Manager at Hotel Kokoro Arenal, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

Dear Ms. Anglophile58
Thank you for taking the moment to share with us your experiences, and we appreciate your observations.

We would like to thank you for your positive feedback on behalf of the services provided during your stay, and the comfort, cleanliness and friendless of our staff and thus keeping a welcoming environment for dear guests such as you and your family.

We strive to keep the utmost standards for our efforts, and we would also like to mention that we are in the process of changing the water heating system in our establishment. We are implementing a centralized heating system to ensure a consistent supply of heated water for the rooms.

We would like to mention that we have made our immediate agenda for this year to improve every aspect of our facilities and fixtures in and outside of our cabin structures.
Since early spring of the previous year, we had successfully installed security boxes within our facilities.

We have trained our staff in relation to the usage of the boxes, and as a company policy, any items that are left unattended within the rooms or public areas, the hotel does not hold responsible for losses or damages to these personal items.

However, in this instance, we also understand the severity of the situation and we do agree that rooms have been trespassed with the sole purpose of robbery, and we are unfortunate as well for these losses and the discomfort this may have caused.

We had immediately contacted the authorities with regards to this matter, and hoped to find clues after they recollected the fingerprints on the windows. Even during our conversation, I do recall that we would be willing to reimburse the value of the items lost, based on our company values and as a company ethic and priority.

It was agreed upon that a police report would be processed, and we would review with credit card insurance company for the possible reimbursement of your lost item. In addition, our administration did reimburse the other guests that were also affected by this event, and the damages to the cameras of other guests; your situation upholds to the same reimbursement from Kokoro.

In this case, unfortunately the local police authorities never supplied us with any police report even when we were also constantly following-up with this case. We made every effort, and subsequently, with no response from the authorities, I reviewed and prepared the theft report for your eventual submission with the credit card insurance company.

Please note that it is with our sincere regret that the theft had occurred at this magnitude, especially in this occasion. In general our neighborhood is a safe and quiet environment however we must prevent occasions like these to ever reoccur in the near future.

We do apologies for the shortcomings, and we appreciate your feedback and the kind opportunity to visit us. On behalf of Kokoro, we appreciate the attention given to this matter. Thank you again for preferring us, and we hope that in the near future we have the opportunity to welcome you and your family with premier features on behalf of the Kokoro Family. Thank you for your kind words and wish for the very best.

Felico

Reviewed 6 January 2014

My family stayed in cabin 1 for 2 nights. Soon after we checked in, I reported a malfunctioning a/c in the room. Despite promises to fix it, it was not fixed for our entire stay making staying in the room uncomfortable. Needless to say, this is not something one would expect at a hotel at this price level. I would not recommend staying at this hotel given our experience.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family