“Top notch experience”
Review of Arenal Manoa Hotel

Arenal Manoa Hotel
“Top notch experience”
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here last week for 3 nights. The rooms are bungalows and we had 2 adjoining rooms making up the entire bungalow, we traveled with our 2 teenage girls. Rooms large and spacious with a big bathroom having a skylight and a small garden-very unique, we loved it. We had rooms 224 and 225, which were very private. Sitting on our lanai, we saw and heard no other guests- just a fabulous view of the volcano and the surrounding vegetation-it was stunning. Service was outstanding from everyone we came in contact with. Our bungalows were a bit near the back of the property so When it rained, we simply called the front desk to pick us up and they were quick to respond with a smile. You don't see that type of great service often these days, but they had it here. Servers at the restaurant also great. Overall the hotel is a great choice in the Arenal area to take in the beauty and hospitality of Costa Rica.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank T M

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (423)
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Arenal Manoa was the first hotel we stayed at while at Arenal. Location wise, it is right in between downtown La Fortunate and the Arenal park which was quite convenient.

I like how they landscaped the grounds. The rooms have their own 'bungalow' and you can drive your car right in front of it which is efficient. I enjoyed walking around the area enjoying the different plants and flowers.

The check in process was quite smooth, we got a map of the area and welcome drinks. It was raining quite hard when we arrived and they mentioned the happy hour specials (2 for 1) a few times.

I didn't find the front desk to be super knowledgable about the area though. We asked about how we can go up the Cerro Chatto and the front desk lady told us told us to go up the La Fortuna route if we weren't going with a guide since it is an easier route, which was based on what I've read was a much more difficult route. We asked a couple other people after at the next hotel we stayed at and both suggested the Arenal lodge route. Anyways, lesson learned, always do your own research.

They have their hot spring, or should I say pool, with a beautiful view of the volcano. It is super peaceful and even better with the drizzling rain. We had the pool all to ourselves until the happy hour time and all of sudden quite a lot of people came. I guess the front desk marketing works.

The room/house is very nice, spacious and clean. We have a partial view of the volcano. The ac works quite well. The bathroom has a partial skylight.

We tried running around the grounds the next morning. It was tough and hilly but quite rewarding for the plentiful breakfast spread. Most of the breakfast items are Costa Rican style (rice and beans, plaintains) with an omelette station and lotsa fruits. It certainly more than fueled us for the day.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Agustinkwo
Boulder, Colorado
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This is a wonderful hotel. My family stayed a few nights at the Arenal Manoa Hotel and loved it. The rooms are very comfortable and provided great views of the volcano (when the weather cooperated) The staff was very friendly and most of them were happy to chat in English when they realized the limitations of my Spainsh.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Jkeaz
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 2 June 2014

This property was wonderful. Enjoyed the Thermal pools and swim up bar. They had many different happy hours. The food was good too. The only complaint is that the bar made weak drinks and had a hard time keeping track of who ordered what and what room to charge to. I'd visit again next time I'm in Costa Rica.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Weston, Florida
Reviewed 2 June 2014

I didn't know what to expect when I booked our stay at this property. The reviews were good, but I felt a little nervous about it. I will tell you that it was one of the most pleasant stays I have ever had. The facilities are absolutely beautiful, the service was impeccable, the location in terms of access to a variety of activities and sightseeing couldn't have been better.

Room Tip: See if you can get a volcano view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
Elk Grove, California, United States
Reviewed 31 May 2014

By far, this was the best place we stayed in Costa Rica. The views of Arenal Volcano from the individual casitas were spectacular. The dining room was picturesque. The pool area was beautiful. Everything was clean. Employees were friendly and knowledgeable, especially Natalia at the front desk. We absolutely loved staying here. Pura Vida!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 31 May 2014

The first impression of the Manoa, it's staff and the grounds were fantastic. We had journeyed via ferry and shuttle from Paquera (Tambor - See Vista Las Islas review) with a dose of almost third-degree sunburn (Dormant ginger genes firing up) and so were delighted to be in such a beautiful location and hotel following on from our coast and beach experience.
Costa Rica has the most impressive and diverse landscape. When travelling from one side of the country to the centre, the climate and troposphere changes so much that the rainforest and their inhabitants change quite rapidly. We also noticed the decrease is mosquitos and other winged insects.
Once within the hotel we were ferried to the room/villa/cabin by a member of staff in a van (Excellent service and fantastic staff member - Always polite and courteous). This was the start of the fantastic attention to detail that the Manoa has developed. We had been given room 203, which was in a perfect location (I think most have a perfect view of the volcano). The room was spotless and extremely well appointed including digital safe, two beds, a stunning bathroom (Mini jungle area next to the shower - Fantastic!!!), cable TV, massive cupboard space, fridge and free WIFI. The beds faced out onto the view of the volcano and it felt amazingly private. I can only go onto state that we were very impressed with the initial start to our three night stay at the Manoa.
We then explored the vast grounds and soaked in the beauty of the surrounding forestry alongside familiarising ourselves with the facilities including the hot spring pool, restaurant and normal swimming pools. All of the facilities are facing the volcano and the level of detail gone into to ensure that this is the case is truly impressive.
As it was quite late in the day we opted to freshen up and go for dinner. On first arriving within the restaurant area we were greeted by Carlos, a gentleman that truly deserves a customer service distinction. He was friendly, kind and accommodating throughout our stay and assisted us with both dinner, drinks and our breakfast services.
The restaurant is huge is size and very impressive in structure. It embraces the geography of the hotel and has views onto the volcano as well as being situated by a lake and small jungle paradise.
The most telling part of any hotel is the pride it places into both its service and its standards around hygiene and food. The Manoa excelled in this area, as the restaurant was spotless and it's food delicious. The food was well priced in comparison with prices in the Tambor and San Jose areas and the quality was on par with it's neighbour hotel, The Springs Resort and Spa, whose prices were also in the same region. My wife and I had 2 courses each night (My wife had a couple of cocktails each night as well) and not once did it go past the equivalent of £40 ($70ish). As an individual who lives in London, I would be hard stretched to find a single course for myself in a mediocre eating establishment, never mind almost Michelin star quality food. To say that we were impressed with the catering at this hotel is an understatement to say the least.
The next day we woke refreshed and happy as the beds were perfectly comfortable and the blackout curtains provided a well needed departure from the early morning Costa Rican sun for the first time in our holiday. Once I arose from my slumber at approx 0600hrs, I saw the true magnificence of Arenal for the first time. It truly is a wonder to behold and as the clouds had dispersed, I had a completely unobstructed view of it. Stunning......
We then went to the restaurant for the breakfast, which was absolutely perfect. It included fruits, yogurts, cereal, Gallo Pinto, sausages and freshly cooked eggs and pancakes. I'm sure that there was more but I lapped up as much cereal, eggs, meat and yogurt as a man can handle. The service was impeccable once again and this continued throughout our stay.
The rest of our stay consisted of visiting the hot spring pool, which was fantastic and for some unknown reason, completely uninhabited but for me and the wife, and the traditional swimming pool area. The swimming pool had constant visitors, most of whom were propped up on the swim up bar stools. I much preferred the hot spring pool but that is a personal preference as many might not enjoy the warm, embracing water the way that I did.
We contemplated taking a tour but opted instead to visit the Arenal Hanging Bridges by ourselves. This saved us $50 by taking a cab and paying for entry ourselves rather than with the hotels tour of the site.
All in all what the Manoa does, it does extremely well and it has an eye for detail that is quite impressive.
I have given the Manoa a rating of 4 for the reasons as below. I feel that the following suggestions would make it the perfect venue for individuals seeking a top notch hotel within the Arenal area without having to pay the prices asked by 5-star venues nearby.

1) A general store on the grounds would be a godsend. Both myself and my wife needed topical suncreams and ointments to assist with our sunburnt plight alongside painkillers et al. Other general items such as sundries, food etc etc would have been fantastic and would have provided another diversion within the hotel apart from lazing and floating in the pool. La Fortuna can not be accessed via foot due to the roads in Costa Rica (No footpaths etc and hazardous roads - Although markedly safer than Puntarenas and Tambor areas) and so a pricey cab journey into town is the only realistic option for those that do not have access to a vehicle.

2) A gym / Fitness center - Although I was on holiday and obviously needed relaxation and a break, I needed my fitness fix. Having a gym would be the icing on the cake for this hotel and would definitely cement a revisit for myself and my family. The gym at the Springs resort and Spa was just about right, so maybe the owner could pop up there and do a bit of copy and paste into the Manoa.

I would like to say thank you very much to the Manoa for enhancing our Costa Rican experience from good to great.

Room Tip: Room 203 was perfect
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple