“Great hotel!”

Hotel Magic Mountain
keryno19
“Great hotel!”
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We stayed at Hotel Magic Mountain from May 29th- June 2nd. We arrived in La Fortuna around 9pm, we had been traveling all day so all we wanted was to lay down. Check-in was easy and room service was quick.

When we woke up in the morning we opened our curtains and the Arenal volcano was looking right at us. It was a clear day and it was so beautiful.

Breakfast was included and delicious, starting with a fruit plate every morning.

We booked our first excusion, of ziplining through the hotel, it was a great trip, but we found out we could book it for cheaper outside the hotel, so from then on we went to an outside vendor for better deals.

Overall, it was very clean, and the staff was very friendly, I highly recommend staying there.

• Liked — Cleanliness and Location
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Hebrew first
San Jose
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nigths and it was pretty good.

The hotel is new and the rooms are great..Regarding the food, we did't have dinner in the hotel but the breakfast was very yummy and it was included in the room price.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rua17
USA
Reviewed 26 April 2008

Could not find many reviews on this hotel so thought I would pay it forward for the help I received from this site while planning our trip to Costa Rica. When we checked in they had given us a room with 2 queens instead of king. We also were upgraded to a suite. This is the kind of attitude shown the entire 4 days we were there. Every room has a balcony with view that overlooks the pool, a pasture of grazing cattle (don't worry no smell), and the green side of the volcano. Very serene view. Room was spotless, grounds maintenance immaculate, and restuarant food as good as anywhere else we went. There are a lot of tour groups that stay here but we felt this was a plus. They arrive around 6, are a quiet group, and leave by 9 the next morning - gone by the time we made it down for breakfast. We had the attention of the staff and the place to ourself during the day. They helped with car rentals, restuarants, tours, etc. Yes, this is an "American" style hotel with the amneties comparable to that of a Hampton Inn. This was our first trip to Costa Rica and the country is ever so beautiful, however, after a day of hiking, ziplining, rafting, suspension bridges, etc. it was comforting to us to return to a room that reminded us of home

• Liked — Staff, Quality of room decor, & landscaping
  • Disliked — When it was time to leave
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 30 March 2008

Just returned from a week in Costa Rica. 4 nights spent at Hotel Magic Mountain. When I first booked, there were very few reviews, so I was a little nervous. Now I see there are many more reviews.

All of my concerns were easily put to rest the minute I walked into my room. We were upgraded to a suite, I guess because they were not full that week. It was gorgeous. Two full beds (a little tight for two people in one bed, but still good). Nice bedding, pretty art on the walls. It had a balcony with a small table and chairs that overlooked the pool and spa. All of the rooms face this way, so not to worry. Also, great views of the volcano. Very close, but to the green side. Lava was not flowing on this side during our stay, however, we did see smoke coming out of the top a couple times which was nice. Huge bathroom and shower. And, the room was spotless! I even broke a glass on the floor and used a towel to wipe up the glass. I thought the towel would show some dirt, but it didn't. The rooms were really clean. The only downside was that there is not a lot of room to unpack clothes. A small closet with a couple shelves and a small bar for hanging clothes. Also, the closet was in an awkward place right next to the bed. Made it a little difficult to get to. But, my husband and I are notorious for over packing. They also have a computer in the lobby, which was great for keeping in touch with family.

As far as location, it is only a couple minute drive to town. I guess you could walk, but it would take about 1/2 hour I think. I rented a jeep, so we were able to come and go as we pleased. For me, that's the only way to do it.

There is a lot more I could write, but I tend to be a little long in my reviews. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions I didn't answer. This site was the only way I was able to book such an awesome trip to Costa Rica, and I am happy to share now that I've gone.

• Liked — Clean, friendly staff, nice pool and swim up bar.
  • Disliked — Not enough storage for clothing.
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KMonnia
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 23 March 2008

We stayed here as part of a Caravan Tour. We were very impressed by this beatiful new hotel. All rooms face the Arenal Volcano and the view is spectacular. The pool is large and attractive. There is a single internet terminal free for use by guests. The buffet meals were pleasant, but not great, but the al-fresco dining was a treat. Above the restaurant is an American-style sports bar. It wasn't doing much business, but drink prices were very reasonable. This was a truly memorable place that I would gladly stay in again.

Stayed March 2008
Titusville, FLorida
Reviewed 18 March 2008

We had a fab time at this fairly new and beautiful resort. We were going to stay at the Tabacon Resort again and I'm so glad we did not. This place has only 30 rooms-we were upgraded to a jr. suite as they were full and it had a wonderful hot tub in the room, enormous bathroom and plasma flat screen TV. The view from the hot tub window to the volcano (which was clear to the top for the view) was like you were 50 steps away from it! We had the beautiful pool to ourselves. The landscaping was also always being worked on by the workers there and was very pretty. Liked Don Rafinos-Grandmas chicken and loved NeNe's restaurant. A little secluded and romantic-everything comes out flaming! Great Hotel and a great rate too!!

• Liked — view
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled as a couple
Bluffton, South Carolina
Reviewed 16 March 2008

I booked this through Costa Rican Trails (would never use again) and thought this hotel was terrific. It happened that they had two groups there (when checking I thought "ugh" as the buses unloaded) but without my asking, they upgraded us to a junior suite away from the groups. Dinner at the restaurant was wonderful and one of the best quality and priced meals we had while in La Fortuna. Breakfast was a buffet one day (wonderful) while the groups were there and off the menu the other days. The staff was great, arranged any tours we wanted, were always friendly and able to answer questions. The cosmo from the bar was the best I've ever had-bar none. We are planning to return to Costa Rica again and will hope to stay here a few nights.

• Liked — the setting was gorgeous when the clouds lifted from Arenal volcano
  • Disliked — there were two large groups while we were there but it wasn't too bothersome to us.
  • Stayed January 2008