“Very Pleased”

Hotel Magic Mountain
Reviewed 6 August 2008

We arrived on foot (in the rain) from the Bus Station at La Fortuna and this Hotel looked the best of all from the outside.
But I never judge from appearances.

The stay was just 2 nights, and the weather was fair with a lot of rain too (it was July in Costa Rica). The first night there was a terrific thunder and lightening storm - that it was impossible to venture out.

The Hotel to our surprise delivered a plate of fresh cut fruit to the room during the first evening. Dinner too was delivered to the room as they needed to close the restaurant earlier. High marks for customer service on both counts.

Breakfast was excellent, the rooms themselves were big, modern, very comfortable each with a large sit out balcony - with a close up view of Volcán Arenal itself (although shrouded in cloud). I am not a user of swimming pools - but the other guests made full use of it and the sound of families (all ages) enjoy the pool was not in the least distracting.

I really liked this hotel, met indeed surpassed expectations although not cheap it did represent good value in my opinion.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 June 2008

Stayed at Magic Mountain for 3 nights-best of the 3 hotels we stayed at! The first night we had a minor problem with one of the 2 locks on our door ... fixed immediately and done in a cheerful and pleasant manner. The breakfast included was pretty good (beautiful presentation) and far superior than most of the meals we had to pay for. We ate there for dinner -excellent chicken with asparagus sauce!
Our room was VERY clean, staff was very friendly and attentive and liked it better than some of the fancier hotels we stayed at (Los Seunos resort and Spa )

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 June 2008

We stayed at Hotel Magic Mountain from May 29th- June 2nd. We arrived in La Fortuna around 9pm, we had been traveling all day so all we wanted was to lay down. Check-in was easy and room service was quick.

When we woke up in the morning we opened our curtains and the Arenal volcano was looking right at us. It was a clear day and it was so beautiful.

Breakfast was included and delicious, starting with a fruit plate every morning.

We booked our first excusion, of ziplining through the hotel, it was a great trip, but we found out we could book it for cheaper outside the hotel, so from then on we went to an outside vendor for better deals.

Overall, it was very clean, and the staff was very friendly, I highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 May 2008

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nigths and it was pretty good.

The hotel is new and the rooms are great..Regarding the food, we did't have dinner in the hotel but the breakfast was very yummy and it was included in the room price.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank rua17
Reviewed 26 April 2008

Could not find many reviews on this hotel so thought I would pay it forward for the help I received from this site while planning our trip to Costa Rica. When we checked in they had given us a room with 2 queens instead of king. We also were upgraded to a suite. This is the kind of attitude shown the entire 4 days we were there. Every room has a balcony with view that overlooks the pool, a pasture of grazing cattle (don't worry no smell), and the green side of the volcano. Very serene view. Room was spotless, grounds maintenance immaculate, and restuarant food as good as anywhere else we went. There are a lot of tour groups that stay here but we felt this was a plus. They arrive around 6, are a quiet group, and leave by 9 the next morning - gone by the time we made it down for breakfast. We had the attention of the staff and the place to ourself during the day. They helped with car rentals, restuarants, tours, etc. Yes, this is an "American" style hotel with the amneties comparable to that of a Hampton Inn. This was our first trip to Costa Rica and the country is ever so beautiful, however, after a day of hiking, ziplining, rafting, suspension bridges, etc. it was comforting to us to return to a room that reminded us of home

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 March 2008

Just returned from a week in Costa Rica. 4 nights spent at Hotel Magic Mountain. When I first booked, there were very few reviews, so I was a little nervous. Now I see there are many more reviews.

All of my concerns were easily put to rest the minute I walked into my room. We were upgraded to a suite, I guess because they were not full that week. It was gorgeous. Two full beds (a little tight for two people in one bed, but still good). Nice bedding, pretty art on the walls. It had a balcony with a small table and chairs that overlooked the pool and spa. All of the rooms face this way, so not to worry. Also, great views of the volcano. Very close, but to the green side. Lava was not flowing on this side during our stay, however, we did see smoke coming out of the top a couple times which was nice. Huge bathroom and shower. And, the room was spotless! I even broke a glass on the floor and used a towel to wipe up the glass. I thought the towel would show some dirt, but it didn't. The rooms were really clean. The only downside was that there is not a lot of room to unpack clothes. A small closet with a couple shelves and a small bar for hanging clothes. Also, the closet was in an awkward place right next to the bed. Made it a little difficult to get to. But, my husband and I are notorious for over packing. They also have a computer in the lobby, which was great for keeping in touch with family.

As far as location, it is only a couple minute drive to town. I guess you could walk, but it would take about 1/2 hour I think. I rented a jeep, so we were able to come and go as we pleased. For me, that's the only way to do it.

There is a lot more I could write, but I tend to be a little long in my reviews. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions I didn't answer. This site was the only way I was able to book such an awesome trip to Costa Rica, and I am happy to share now that I've gone.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank KMonnia
Reviewed 23 March 2008

We stayed here as part of a Caravan Tour. We were very impressed by this beatiful new hotel. All rooms face the Arenal Volcano and the view is spectacular. The pool is large and attractive. There is a single internet terminal free for use by guests. The buffet meals were pleasant, but not great, but the al-fresco dining was a treat. Above the restaurant is an American-style sports bar. It wasn't doing much business, but drink prices were very reasonable. This was a truly memorable place that I would gladly stay in again.

Stayed: March 2008