Hotel Sueno Dorado & Hot Springs
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Hotel El Silencio del Campo(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Baldi Hot Springs Hotel Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Volcano Inn(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Manoa Hotel(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Nayara Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
View Hotel
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 April 2011

I loved the Sueno Dorado! The staff were super friendly, and helpful. The attached restaurant, Benedictu's Steakhouse was fantastic, with an awesome staff, and great food! My room was very clean. The location has an AMAZING view of the Arenal Volcano. I woke up every morning, and Arenal was just outside my door. Walking distance to the amazing Baldi Hot Springs. For the price, this place is fantastic.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 30 August 2010

We arrived unannounced quite late in evening and manager Alejandro set us up immediately with two very nice rooms. Clean, quiet, comfortable nothing fancy. He got us tickets for the zip lines at a very good price and gave us advice on where to eat and go. Good breakfast. No mildew smell at all even though in a rain forest and raining heavily while we were there. Highly recommended. Not lux but great value for money and very nice staff. Nice pool and small grounds. Easy to find.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Chindocan
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Went with my wife and 6 year old to Arenal without a reservation and found this charming little motel (jut don't call it a motel in Costa Rica as the word has a sexual connotation here). We spent $65 per night for the 3 of us with a delicious breakfast included. The hotel only has 11 rooms and you park in front of them. The gardens are beautiful, the pool spotless and there is a great view of the volcano. The rooms are basic but very clean. Don't expect the luxury of a 4 star hotel or all inclusive but neither expect the crowds, noise that come with them. The Sueno Dorado is a family run hotel (which live on property) and they are very friendly. Only recomendation would be to update the beds, drapes and lighting in the room (the included lamp was very dim). Maybe the TV but not critical. Room has a/c and fridge. You could find better values in La Fortuna but not in this prime location (between Baldi Springs and Tabacon Springs). Very happy I stayed here! Also try Bet-El restaurant 2 min down the road to La Fortuna, great tico food at tico prices!

Soy tico y este hotel es apto para familias en busca de un lugar tranquilo y sin el servicio odioso que generalmente se encuentran en los hoteles grandes. Tiene una muy bonita piscina y jardines muy bonitos. 100% recomendado! Cerca de todo, tambien les recomiendo restaurante Bet - El como a 2 min en carro del hotel hacia La Fortuna , riquisimo y muy buenos precios.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 December 2009

NO IDEA WHAT THE LADY TALKING ABOUT MILDEW SMELLS IS REFERRING TO.

Our room smelled of nothing bad. The personal attention you get when staying here makes it a great value. Alejandro the concierge would bend over backwards for you. It being a small motel, there is a feeling of privacy. The breakfast is always delicious. The view of the volcano is perfect! Any activity you would wish to partake in can be arranged from the hotel, as well. We had a great time in arenal and feel a big part of that was our stay here.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 January 2009

I am shocked to read such great reviews of this motel. I have very little positive things to say other than the friendly family staff and view of Arenal Volcano which was clouded over most days. When we arrived, I was shocked to see the size of the place. There are only 11 rooms all lined up in a row motel style. This is in no way a hotel. The rooms are as basic as they come. Our first room had two double beds, a tiny TV, and a bathroom. No clock, fridge, or basic bathroom supplies other than soap. The first think I noticed was the awful mildew smell. It literally knocked me off my feet. It was the strongest most pungent odor I’ve ever smelled. The bedspread and curtains attributed to the smell. I opened windows and sprayed Febreeze everywhere. The windows do not have screens so not only was it unsafe but critters could get in at night which meant no fresh air to take away the odor. The room itself was fairly clean however. The hot water in the bathroom was broken and we only had hot water for about 2 minutes at a time. There is a breaker switch that kept shutting off so my husband had to stand next to it and flip it back on every two minutes as I showered. No one told us about the switch (I thought it was for the electrical outlets!) so the first night my husband took a cold shower since the switch was in the off position. By the third night, we switched to room 1 which had a bigger TV, fridge, and a shower that worked. Unfortunately the strong odor was still there and I had to start all over attempting to remove the odor. I know a lot of rooms will carry a slight over but this was way over the top. It made my stomach upset.
As for the beds, they were very hard which wasn’t that big of a deal but the pillows were very unusual. It’s hard to explain but picture a foam filled pillow where the foam is all shredded inside. It was lumpy all over the place. I can’t imagine it was purchased this way. I didn’t even know pillows could deteriorate like this. It was the most unusual pillow I’ve ever felt.
Now onto the location. When booking the room, I was told it was within walking distance to La Fortuna town. Although this is true, it is quite a distance and there are no sidewalks making for a very dangerous walk. Cab ride to town was $10 and back was around $6. It is way better (and cheaper) to stay right in town. I know it was high season but we paid $85 a night when we could have paid around $60 right in town. I know because we priced it out hoping we could switch but the hotel would only give us half our money back. We stayed 5 nights so they could have at least refunded 2 or 3 of our nights.
Breakfast is included but it was pretty awful. You get four choices. The toast is really old and hard as a rock. The pancakes were the only good choice but I can’t eat those 4 days in a row! I really felt trapped at this hotel especially at night when there is nothing to do around there and you need a taxi to get anywhere. The worst part by far was the odor. It will take your breath away the minute you open the door.
If you choose a place based on the pool, go somewhere else. It is very tiny but we didn’t care since it rained nearly everyday.
I was very displeased with this motel and am shocked by the other reviews.

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank MarlaB