“Loved... Loved Hotel Mountain Paradise!!!”

Hotel Mountain Paradise
Reviewed 23 February 2010

We flew in to San Jose and drove straight to Hotel Mountain Paradise. The drive was nice and scenic but little bumpy so we were very happy to arrive and were very delighted with what we saw.

The hotel grounds are beautiful. We were greeted by very friendly and professional staff. Within minutes of arriving we were taken to our cottage. We were very happy with our room. Very clean and very unique. Loved the bathrooms. The view of the Volcano from our terrace is breathtaking. The restaurant was great, wonderful food, good variety and fantastic service. It was very nice to meet Ivan!

The pool and bar area are also so beautiful! This is truly a hidden gem and can't wait to go back.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,381)

Reviewed 22 February 2010

The resort was beautiful. Our room was a detatched little villa with our own pool, our own jacuzzi, a waterfall shower and a massage shower, comfy king bed and our own kitchen (the bathroom alone was the same size of some of the hotels we stayed in elsewhere). This was the JUNIOR suite. The room also had a few other great touches, like an ipod dock alarm clock, a safe, a little patio with rocking chairs.

The people working at the resort were incredibly friendly and warm, and went out of their way to make sure we had a good visit.

The only downside was the restaurant, which was terribly overpriced. $6 US for a side of fries? Most nights we went in to town or ate at the resort next door (the prices were more reasonable and the food much better). Though the hotel operates a shuttle throughout the day, the last one returns to the resort just before dinner time.
If you don't have a rental car, the cab price in to town is about $8 each way (shuttle is free if you catch it). It's a few kilometers out of the 'town', but staying close to the volcano was really part of the whole experience.

You can't hear the 'newlyweds' - each suite is a detached little villa and are about 40ft apart!

Reviewed 19 February 2010

The name of the hotel says it all.... it was paradise.

This was the first hotel we stayed at in Costa Rica - and BY FAR the best. Even though Arenal/La Fortuna was the first leg of our adventure honeymoon, I didn't want to leave.

The rooms are spacious, each with its own patio and rocking chairs. I was so tempted to try to take one of those suckers home with me! The rooms either a private jacuzzi (we had the junior suite, and it had the jacuzzi) - but I think the bigger rooms have a private pool. Each patio overlooks the beautiful gardens - with a perfect view of the volcano.

The showers blew me away. There is one stand up shower - and get this....a waterfall shower!! The walls are lined with rocks and the spot is hidden in the rocks. The water falls over the top rock like a waterfall. Amazing!!!!

The pool was our favorite place to be when we weren't out on any adventures. The pool is heated, has two waterfalls, and a swim up bar with TV. I could NOT have asked for more.

The staff is amazingly friendly, so accomodating, and extremely attentive....especially in the restaurant. We stayed three nights and the servers remembered how we liked our coffee in the morning, our names, and even the fact that I always wanted ketchup with everything. As soon as the server saw us walking up the path, he poured our coffee (just the way we liked) and brought out my ketchup. I find this fabulous - as there were many guests - each receiving the same attention and service. (The ceviche is out of this world!!)

I HIGHLY recommend this hotel. It's clean, about $6 taxi ride to the city, and EVERYTHING you can ask for! If I could, I'd give it 10 stars!!!

Reviewed 11 February 2010

It has been year since my husband and I stayed at this hotel and I meant to write this review upon our return home but never got around to it. All the good things everyone has written about this hotel are absolutely TRUE..great staff, service, wonderful buffet breakfast, etc etc.
My story is a different one but one that needs to be told because it says TONS of the character of the staff.
On our last night at this hotel, my husband and I decided to get massages. (Forgive me for not remembering the girls name that gave us the massage). Even though we had checked out of the hotel that morning, they allowed us to come back in the afternoon for the massage and it was a wonderful experience given to us in the privacy of one of the suites. The massage was so relaxing that my husband FORGOT a gold chain (which contained his grandmothers ring and a charm that we bought in Egypt) in addition to his wedding ring! Idiotic, yes, we know. He didn't realize this until we were in San Jose and we called the hotel and they told us that they had these items in safekeeping. Well, to make a VERY long story short..we were flying out to New York and had no way of receiving this jewelry. It stayed in Costa Rica for 2 MONTHS until a friend of mine from Colombia visited Costa Rica..went to his hotel to pick jewelry. They INSISTED that she show ID ( I had told them she was coming) and because she didn't have ID on her at the moment, they would not release the jewelry. She went back to her hotel, called me in NY, told me what happened and I in turn called the hotel to tell them it was ok to give her the jewelry. The hotel then decided to send the jewelry to my friends hotel in La Fortuna so that she would not have to return for it.
I'm sorry for the long story but its just an example of the character and honesty that the entire staff of this hotel possesses. Somebody could have easily stolen these pieces of valuable jewelry and yet, they did their best to accommodate us so that it would be safely returned to us. Thank you again to all the staff..this experience alone would make us return to this hotel any day!

PS: the jewelry remained in Colombia for another 2 months and when my friend from Colombia went to Atlanta to visit her family, she fedexed it to me to NY!!!

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2010

Mountain Paradise Hotel was a 5-star (diamond) experience in a one owner/operator hotel. With exemplary service and first-class accomodations, Mountain Paradise offers the feel of a high-end flag-operator in a world-class location. The owner has plucked staff out of the hospitality and lodging world from locations such as the Four Seasons and allowed them to put their fingerprints on their collective areas of experience and wisdom, relying on their training in those areas, and it has worked. What a wonderful place to stay. I would highly, highly recommend Mountain Paradise.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 February 2010

We stayed here for two nights, in a premium suite, and there were three in our party. The hotel staff was accommodating and friendly, the grounds were beautiful, and the rooms themselves were nicely decorated and the beds were very comfortable. The room was very near the pool (still completely private) which was very nice. The breakfast they served was excellent, and we had a wonderful stay. I would certainly go back (and still probably wouldn't see the volcano given my luck).

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2010

Forget that there is an enormous, picturesque Volcano dominating the landscape from almost anywhere on the hotel grounds. There is, but it is just icing on the cake. The service from the minute we walked in the lobby was fantastic. They were very attentive to every detail (as we were being driven via golf cart to our suite, we asked about towels at the pool and within 2 minutes of being in our room, pool towels were delivered). The bar staff, especially Ivan, was exceptional and catered to our needs wherever we were, whether it be in the pool, in our room, or in the restaurant. The rooms were large and very well appointed. The pool area was something special and we had a hard time getting out of it. The aromatherapy massage was out of this world!! All in all, this was a GREAT experience and my wife could not have been happier. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Arenal and I haven't even mentioned the spectacular bathrooms yet!!!

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple