“Beautiful rooms - expensive restaraunt and tours” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Mountain Paradise

Hotel Mountain Paradise
BeccaSmith_79
“Beautiful rooms - expensive restaraunt and tours”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed here for three nights in June. The rooms are gorgeous, and I loved the waterfall shower. It was super hot and hit the tops of my shoulders perfectly. I was visited by a lizard or two, but remember friends, we are in the rainforest area! As far as bugs go....there were a few little ants in the bathroom, a couple of spiders, and one giant cockroach. I think this has more to do with the sliding french doors than the staff. The housekeepers left things immaculate, even folding the clothes I left on the floor and placing them on the trunk near the bed. We had a premium suite, and the jacuzzi pictured on the website looked a lot nicer than the one in our room. It was basically a one person, (or two small person, or two regular people who really like each other) spa type bath tub on your balcony area. The water is very hot, though, and was nice after long, busy days. The beds were very firm, which was not to my liking...but then again I am a bed snob and sleep on a tempurpedic at home :) Sheets and bedding were nice - fresh, white and warm. The flat screen tv had lots of channels in both Spanish and English (not a biggie for me, but boyfriend loved it as we don't have cable at home!)
The website boasted the use of laptops for guests in suites....well, when I arrived I was told there was a computer to use in the lobby. I had to ask for the laptop that was advertised on the site before it was offered to me, even though the receptionist saw me wait to use the lobby computer and leave after 20 minutes or so more than twice. I tried to use the laptop in my room, finally got on to email back home after three calls to the front desk for the correct password, and then it died mid-email. Not the end of the world, but an annoyance non the less. The website also offered a free shuttle into town. When we got there we discovered that it was four times a day, the first at 10:30 and the last at 4:30. The website was misleading....It was a 8 to 10 dollar cab ride into town. Again, not the end of the world, but if the free shuttle is on a schedule, they should say so on the website.
We were offered many tours when we first arrived...one of them was to see the lava flow if we ate dinner at the hotel. However, dinner at the hotel ranged from 15 dollars for pasta with tomato sauce and averaged around 25to 30 dollars an entree. You can book a tour to see the lava flow for 10 dollars down town....we were going to eat dinner at the restaraunt the first night any way since we were so tired. We ended up with a nice seafood dinner for two that included a bottle of wine. It was delicious and the service was superb. The head waiter tried to persuade us to order otherwise, saying it was small. We could barely finish it...and for $60 including service and tax and a bottle of wine, a fair deal for a resort.
The pool was great...clean, warm...not too busy. Drinks at the bar were around 8 to $10 each and I felt a wee overpriced...after the first night I got a bottle of rum in town and juice...asked the restaurant for ice nightly. I don't know why they don't have an ice machine and ice buckets in the rooms....
The general staff was very friendly and helpful, and like I said earlier housekeeping did a great job of tidying up. They even made towel animals on the bed:) I also spotted several birds, including a toucan, hummingbirds, robins, and some other birds I cannot name on the property.
We LOVED the breakfast. The juice was yummy, the banana bread and cakes were great, the fruit was fresh, coffe strong, and the omelet station was super. The hot entrees were good as well....a mix of typical tico foods and american. Again, restaruant service was great.
I would suggest having a car if you are going to stay here. We didn't, and spent less on taxis than we would have to rent a car, but for convenience, it would have been great.
BIG WARNING - I wouldn't book any tours at the hotel. They wanted $45 for a volcano hike that I booked downtown for $25 (and it was great!) and $60 for a safari float that we got for $45 down town. The sodas downtown were awesome, too.
All in all, I would stay again...the rooms were clean, comfy, spacious and clean, and the pool and breakfast was great. We booked on expedia and got a great rate....I don't think I would have paid the $120 that the hotel website advertises, though.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (233)
  • Hebrew first
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2010

Stayed here for 4 nights on our honeymoon. When we arrived we were greated with a fresh fruit drink and cold towel. Seemed like we were in for a nice 4 days...we stayed in a premium suite with a jacuzzi. The rooms like really nice at face value but take a closer look and the waterfall shower is crawling with bugs since the plants in the bathroom are real. Same goes for the rest of the rooms, keep your shoes close by to kill the bugs crawling on the floor. We had a frog in the shower on two seperate occasions. The jacuzzi was nice we had a great view of the volcano but you won't see any lava on this side of the volcano.

The free breakfast in the morning was awful...it was always cold rice and beans, sometime a cold hard pancake. We never ate at the restaurant for dinner as most entrees were about $20 which seemed kinda steep for the area and given the taste of breakfast I was to excited about trying it. I rarely saw more than 3 or 4 people eating at the restaurant on a given night.

The hotel offers free shuttles into town but they were typically 20-25 minutes late, the van smelled of garbage, and the last shuttle back is 5:30. Cabs are about $9 each way to La Fortuna.

Pool was okay and the drinks were good ($8 a piece)

Be careful booking tours through the hotel, we went into town and found tours with other operators for $10-$15 less, does seem like a lot but for 2 or 3 people it adds up. I'd recommend Desfio, they had a great white water rafting tour.

It's not a terrible hotel but be prepared to living with the outdoors. Its fairly inexpensive to stay here so I guess you get what you pay for.

1 Thank jeff16305
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2010

A friend and I recently stayed at Mountain Paradise on a trip to the La Fortuna area. The staff couldn't have been friendlier, and the rooms (especially the bathroom!) were spacious, well kept, and overall wonderful. We each hope to visit again. The complimentary breakfast was delicious as well. Also, John at the front desk was very cute and kind. Make sure you find him!! Thanks Mountain Paradise :)

Molly and Rachael

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
Daytona Beach, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2010

This resort was very beautiful and it exceeded our expectations. I could not believe the views of Arenal Volcano from the swim up bar. Ivan was very helpful with anything that we requested. Everyone at the restaurant and all of the staff of the hotel were very friendly and accomodating. We will be back next year.

Todd & Traci
Daytona Beach, Florida

1 Thank GatorCountry15
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2010

Excellent grounds and rooms, location, pool, facilities, etc. Helpful staff, but trained to market various tourist products/services hotel offers, bar and restaurant expensive. Better off heading into town. Resort-style, but tasteful.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank panathapandou
North Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2010

Nice a bad spot but with somethings to consider. We got there in the evening with no sunlight, got welcomed with a nice natural juice drink. Also got warm towel to freshen up, nice touch. Got escorted to room with golf cart, no need to drag bags, big plus since they have private rooms spread out (our room farther back).

Got into room, found multiple bugs. It is costa rica so nothing you shouldn't be expecting. One suggestion, hotel should get bug vaccum and use it before introducing guest to the rooms. Room nice but different from video on utube. No mesqiuto net around bed as seen on video. Jacuzzie tub outside room not bad but never used. Sorry for bad spelling, bad speller to begin with and kinda buzzed. Nice Hotellocation for seeing wildlife. Hummingbirds galore all the time with many other bird species all around. We even woke up with huge toad in outside jacuzzi.

Breakfast solid. We stayed 4 nights and woke up each day with somethig different as main entree, staples usually the same with fresh fruits, juices, and awesome coffee. Great fresh baked breads.

Location kinda okay. Volcano spilling lavarocks on other side. Great Arenal volcano view but on the other side, learned the volanoe was erupting on this side until three years ago when direction changed. Still great view for volcano, awesome view fromopen outdoor restaurant area.

Restaurant, kinda pricy for dinner. Reccomend going into town.

Would definetely reccomend for friends.

ABINGTON
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stayed at the Paradise just as it was gearing up for the holiday season. Our room was huge, our patio private, and the service friendly, helpful and fun. For those who say they had issues with mold or cleanliness I find that hard to believe. My significant other is allergic to virtually everything and he had no problems. It is hard in the tropics to keep things sterile and dry but that's all part of being in the rainforest and we did not find anything to be unsanitary or harmful.

The bartender at the pool and the manager at the restaurant both went out of their way to make our stay enjoyable. We and other guests were even invited to join them for the after work 'futbol' game against one of the other hotels. This was at 10:00 PM! They had vans that took the guests to and from the game, free beer was provided and a couple of the guests even played with staff.

It is important to keep in mind that although tours can be booked through the hotel they mostly are not run by the hotel but by other third parties.

The only negative was the restaurant which although I enjoyed the food, I did find to be overpriced. This is a problem only because of the hotel's remote location. After a long day hiking/touring we wanted to stay on property for dinner and it was costly.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple