“Awesome vacation!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
GreenLeadersGold level
“Awesome vacation!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

We spent 4 nights at Nayara and it was the highlight of our Costa Rican vacation! We we there with our 2 daughters, ages 12 & 14, and enjoyed zip-lining, hiking, and more! We would not have seen as much without Andres, a guide from the hotel. He showed us so many animals, plants, birds and more and made it interesting for the entire family. I highly recommend him and can not wait to show family and friends some of the pictures he took!

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Landryjm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (906)
Spartanburg, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 June 2014

My husband and I stayed at Nayara for two nights at the end of our honeymoon, and our only regret for the whole trip was that we didn't spend more time in this region. We arrived on Saturday and were greeted with delicious drinks. Our room, the "mid-level" type room, was gorgeous. We'd been at a fantastic place before this which was unbelievable, but Nayara was so different and we loved it. The room was huge with a great king bed, large porch with two chairs to relax, a hammock, a table and two chairs, and the spa which was really a jetted tub. The enormous bathroom took up half of the cottage! Glass enclosed shower with two rainfall shower heads, PLUS an outdoor shower with two heads. Separate sinks for us both, plus a bar area and two large closets. We booked the hanging bridges tour through the resort and they made it very simple to do - giving you a list of all of the options with prices. Simple to call the front desk the night before, and everything was all set. The foliage around the cottage was stunning, and we had a volcano view which we didn't have high expectations to enjoy. However, the last morning, Monday morning, we woke up to see that the clouds had cleared and there it was in all its glory!! This could have been due to the rain and storm we'd had the day before. We knew we were in the rainforest, so didn't mind the rain one bit - in fact we opened the doors to the porch, but left the screens closed, and slept like that so we could hear the storm. We made friends at the first resort that were coming to Nayara the same day as us and had the top-level type room so we got to enjoy that too! Very similar in size, same bathroom setup with a little bit more room, and they had a sitting area in the bedroom as well. Not to mention the infinity spa on the porch which can be hot or cold - your choice! We pulled the tv in front of the sliding glass doors inside and watched the World Cup from the pool/porch - awesome. We had three meals at Nayara - Sushi for dinner the first night, lunch at the pool bar, and dinner in the restaurant the last night which was Mexican night. All meals were fantastic, particularly the sushi. Drinks were a bit expensive so if you are planning on drinking, it may be worth it to go for the top-level room which includes drinks in the room. We took a walk around the property to look for Tony the sloth, and there he was! We watched him for a good 45 minutes, and a staff member brought out a nice scope so we could get a closer look. We enjoyed all of our time spent here...you won't regret it!!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Amanda R
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a fantastic stay here. The room was gorgeous, even better than the pictures. The room was so secluded and private, it was amazing. The people were all so helpful and friendly, we hates to leave. Lindsay and Marcela in particular were wonderful. The breakfast dining room service was superb, and the manager there gave us a hug on our last day there. Can't wait to return!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
california
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Nayara is an amazing place. You cannot believe your eyes of the Beauty and the setting... We got to see the volcano a few times from our breakfast area and it was breathtaking. I went there with my family and we had a great time. They recommended Jacamar tours and they were excellent... go try the spa, you will not be disappointed. The bathroom needs a little updating especially the shower area but over all it was a lovely stay.. Great service and very gracious staff.

Room Tip: Use Jacamar tour as per hotel recommendation
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Athens, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

We booked the new villas at the Nayara and it was phenomenal. There was a ton of space and the plunge pool was awesome. We could swim anytime day or night which was great at night as it got dark about 6:30pm. We also liked as a couple, this area was adult only. With the villa you can do room service for breakfast for free which was very convenient when getting ready for an early tour each morning.

Overall the property was beautiful! The staff was friendly and willing to help in anyway they could. I travel a ton for work and for pleasure and this has been one of the best places we have ever stayed.

I highly recommend and plan to return.

Room Tip: Would get the villa, they are individual buildings and all seem great. Ours was private and could se...
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

My wife and I just got back from a one week stint here for our honeymoon, and wow. There's not really anything I can say that previous reviewers haven't said. The rooms are gorgeous and meticulously kept; always clean. The staff is extremely friendly, helpful, and professional. We didn't walk past one employee without a friendly smile and a greeting. The spa treatment we did was awesome, extremely relaxing. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. The pool is great, and the bartenders, Randall & Jonathan, are extremely friendly, attentive, and a lot of fun. The main restaurant, Altamira, is incredible. We didn't visit Amor Loco, and only went to Sushi Amor once (it was okay, nothing to really write home about).

Lindsay, Jonathan, Bismarck, and Ever (with the main hotel staff) were incredible in telling us things to see and making sure we had everything we needed. We even got to see the resident sloth, Tony! If you can afford it, do not miss Nayara hotel; it is a magical place, and we will definitely be back again! Thank you guys!!!

Room Tip: We stayed in #49, it's a bit of a walk, but EXTREMELY private, and backs up to a horse farm. Eve...
1 Thank AndrewDoesAtlanta
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

Both my husband and I were so disappointed in the reality of this hotel. I'd read the tripadvisor reviews and accolades from magazines and was really excited to stay here. In fact, we planned our trip to Costa Rica to coincide with availability at the hotel - meaning we delayed our trip six weeks later than we wanted in order to stay here. I am a big fan of boutique luxury properties and have traveled to them extensively. I don't expect everything to be perfect, that's not what makes a five star experience for me, but there was such a lack of attention to detail, quality and personal service, that I was completely taken aback considering all the reviews and high ratings.

Maybe my expectations were just too high. To me, this is a solid 3.5-4 star property and if I hadn't had such high expectations, I'm sure I would have appreciated it for what it was a bit more. It was nowhere near 5 star, even in the Springs side. You could tell they were trying to do alot but the execution just wasn't well-done on much. The overall vibe to me was not sexy, luxury rainforest retreat, it was more "high-end all inclusive hotel."

The good(ish):
-Check in was smooth, we were given a cocktail and allowed to check in early
-Our honeymoon was acknowledged with a "Happy Honeymoon" sign and some rose pedals on the bed. Nice gesture, but it felt like they do this all day long and not very personal or special. Especially since at check in we heard the guy checking us in telling the guy making up the room to set it up. Surprise, not.
-The patio in the room was nice with the Jacuzzi, chairs and hammock
-The outdoor shower was nice
-Housekeeping did a nice job of cleaning the room during the day shift
-We decided to rent a car and that process was arranged smoothly by the hotel
-The driver from the hotel to the airport was fantastic and friendly, addressed us by name and kept us entertained and comfortable through the 3 hour trip - this was the type of warm service I would have expected during my stay but this was the best we received - as we left
-Staff throughout the hotel was nice "enough" and helpful "enough"
-The bridge that connects the two hotels is really beautiful crossing through the forest
-Music in Amor Loco for dinner was excellent
-Food in Amor Loco was really nice and fresh with a good selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner
-Pool on the Springs side was really nice with nice sun beds
-Cocktails on the Springs side were decent, not amazing, but the mojitos were pretty good at least
-Both pools were well heated so they could be enjoyed in the rain

Now for the bad. I know these things will come off as mostly picky, but to me make the difference between a 3.5-4 and 5 star hotel experience and are the things that disappointed me.

-Before we arrived, my husband contacted the hotel to find out if he could arrange a surprise to celebrate our honeymoon. The best they could come up with was to do the tasting menu (which I can't eat because most courses are sea food) at dinner. Really, that's the best they can come up with. Once we got there, we read that there were options for private dinner, yoga, cooking classes . . .
-The employees were just not that engaged. I truly was expecting very personal experience and it just didn't happen. People were there to do their job and you could tell they work hard and long hours, but I don't think they are given five star service training. It's a small place. At one point, we ate at the same restaurant 5 meals out of 7, waited on by the same group of staff and it took til the 5th meal for them to acknowledge they'd seen us before. No one ever asked our names, what we'd been doing in Costa Rica, if it was our honeymoon, etc. or shared any information about anything other than the menu. It was very impersonal.
-There were frequent mistakes in drink orders. I don't know what it was, but we almost always received the incorrect drink order at meals. If my husband ordered orange juice, they would walk away before I could order and bring back two orange juices.
-The staff call women "lady". "Lady, do you want another drink?" "Hello lady." I don't think any woman wants to be addressed that way. It just comes off as harsh and not at all elegant. I cringed every time.
-Housekeeping only provided turndown service 1/4 nights. Each night we left by 6pm, came back after 10pm and put up the "maid service please sign". Disappointing.
-One day, housekeeping left our door ajar, so that's obviously a big security issue. Anyone could have walked in
-This is probably the strangest thing that I've ever seen at a hotel and I hesitate to mention it. it is clear the hotel feeds the staff. I think that is fantastic! I'm all for giving a little extra benefit to make life easier for those hard working people. This is why I hesitate to mention it. I wouldn't want that taken away. But, as a guest, it was very strange. The employees would come right up to the breakfast buffet and stand in line with you and make a plate. Later you'd see them spread out around the resort eating and some of the higher up people would eat right in the dining room with the guests. It was just strange. It definitely does not feel like a luxurious dining experience, but more like eating in the employee dining room. Weird vibe.

Hotel Amenities
-All the tables in all the restaurants are for at least four. The place is mostly couples which means you are stuck sitting at large tables, which just loses some of the intimacy and creates weird cluttered spaces
-Pool on the hotel side was just cheap and run down looking. We would have really been disappointed if we didn't discover the Springs pool on day two
-Wine bar was beautiful but it was very strange that there was no information on the wines available and that all but ONE/20 reds were from south america. It really felt like someone ran to the wine store and picked up some bottles rather than thought out what would be offered
-Sushi bar was pretty but crowded seating arrangement. The hostess told us to sit on a couch that clearly barely had space for one next to the couple already sitting there. "um?, that's awkward." I had to tell her there wasn't space so she sat us somewhere else where I was half in and half out of the restaurant. The seating was so uncomfortable, we left after one drink.
-Drinks in all the restaurants at main hotel and pool, REALLY BAD, sugary, bad ingredients. We tried mojito, margarita, rum punch, etc. AWFUL and with not alcohol to boot. Drinking in the pool bar at the main hotel really felt like drinking at a 3-3.5 star all inclusive (between the cheap looking pool area and bad, watered down drinks). Drinks were much better, still not great, on the springs side.

Rooms
-My worst complaint - whatever they use for the roofs echos the rain. So, every night, I was woken several times when it rained really hard. it wasn't the pitter patter of rain. It literally sounded like an airplane taking off. If my husband and I were on opposite sides of the bed, we had to scream to hear each other.
-The bathroom in our room lacked elegance. It was a handicap accessible room, I'm not sure if they are all like that, but this meant that the toilet closet was strange and huge with a silver bar and the indoor shower was the same. Not sexy or practical if you don't need the efficiency.
-One night we wanted to watch a movie. The way the tv was placed in the room, there was no way to watch it from the bed so we had to physically pick up and move the tv stand. Then of course, the DVD player didn't work. By the way, the DVDs stacked up in piles behind reception, not classy, get a case.

That's enough. You get the point. I'm really sad to have to write this sort of review for a hotel I expected to love. This hotel has potential to be much better. Overall, the hotel was ok, we had a good time because we found the parts we enjoyed. If we hadn't had access to the Springs side, I think we would have really been much more bummed. Had I never had any preconceived notion and just stumbled on the hotel, I think I'd give it the same rating 3.5-4 but I wouldn't have had the disappointment of expecting one of the top hotels in the world. Everything was good / nice "enough." Nothing was mind blowing or truly special.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank TravelGirlBlogs
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We would like to sincerely apologize that you were so disappointed with your experience at Nayara. We pride ourselves in the quality of our service, and when we do not meet these expectations, we take it very seriously.

I would like to personally address the concerns you mentioned, and let you know that will be speaking to staff involved to ensure these things do not happen again. I would also like to personally apologize that felt you were not greeted or addressed by name. Guest recognition is key in this industry and we have taken actions to reinforce this with the entire team. I wish it was brought to my attention when you were here so I could have address it on the spot and insured the rest of your experience went much smoother.

The fact that your concierge did not mention all the amazing activities and opportunities we have to create personalized experiences for our guests is indeed disappointing, and we are making sure that all of our staff is well versed in the over 100 activities that are available at Nayara, including the most romantic options such as couples massage, private yoga or and private dinners for two. These services should have been mentioned to your husband when he reached out to plan a surprise for you, and we apologize that they were not.

As far as our employees not being engaged, we are so sorry that you felt this way. We pride ourselves on having friendly, accommodating and polite staff who are there to make your experience better. We will be implementing extra training sessions for the kitchen staff to ensure that this experience does not happen again. We will also be speaking to housekeeping as it is unacceptable for your door to have been left open and your turndown service not applied. These are the first time we have had these complaints and we will make sure it does not happen again.

We are so sorry that you did not find our accommodations to your standards. We want all of our guests to be comfortable everywhere they go on property.
While we can’t do anything about the rain, it is unfortunate that the sound was so loud for you. We want you and future guests to know that we will be looking into ways to appease the sound. We will also be doing an audit of all our electronics to make sure they work. There is no reason you shouldn’t have been able to watch a movie in your room.

Again, we sincerely apologize that your experience at Nayara was not up to your expectations. We are taking this review very seriously as it is the first time we have had many of these complaints, and we will be speaking to all of the staff that was involved in your experience. We hope that you will give Nayara another chance to show you why we are rated the #1 hotel in Costa Rica.

Jairo Quesada
Director of Services, Nayara Hotels.
Also consider these accommodations in or near La Fortuna de San Carlos
The Springs Resort and Spa
#5 of 65 in Arenal Volcano National Park
5.0 of 5 bubbles 2,272 reviews
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
#10 of 60 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,269 reviews

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!