“Discrete luxury in the rainforest”

Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We stayed in one of the Casita's de luxe and we're very impressed with the room. You have full privacy and taking a shower or a bath outside is just a great experience. The respect for the nature is present everywhere. The spa rooms have full view of the jungle and are very luxurious. The massage was top class too. We were with kids and the staff was just fabulous with them! There is an adults only area and a few restaurants, so you don't get bored!
Free access to wifi is a standard by now, but free global phone calls are beyond the standards!

3  Thank vikDusseldorf
Write a ReviewReviews (3,394)

Reviewed 25 July 2014

We are wrapping up our 7 night stay at Nayara and we are so glad we chose this hotel. First of all the hotel is beautiful. But the truth is the people that work here are even more amazing! We loved everyone but a few favorite staff that made this trip unforgettable Jesenia at Altimira restaurant was amazing in so kind - Sharon and Yeini in the springs reception area are incredible -- friendly, genuine, and warm and always there to help. Then there was Jose, surfer jose, who drives the carts and greets guests. He is a rock star. He went above and beyond by preparing us a lovely fruit snack for our long drive to go. They are by far the best hotel staff we have ever encountered and we have stayed at some very nice hotels all over the world but no one compares. They made this amazing resort even better. Thank you.

Room Tip: The springs villas have their own infinity edge thermal springs mini pool.
2  Thank ewoodsmall
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My wife and I recently returned from a week-long stay at Nayara. Its sterling reputation is well-deserved. The grounds are gorgeous, the rooms are excellent, and the staff, without exception, was friendly, helpful, and welcoming. They went above and beyond the level of service expected. Should we ever make it back to the La Fortuna area (and we hope to do so), there is no question that we would stay at Nayara again.

1  Thank Jared R
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This was a beautiful hotel. The individual bungalow rooms are beautiful and so peaceful. Every night you would fall asleep to animal noises and the soothing sounds of nature. The staff at this hotel is what makes this place amazing. They were so attentive from the second we arrived, to even after we had checked out. We arrived and had a person dedicated to our check-in and answered all of our questions. I would carry a heavy item to my room, and a staff member would run up to me, tell me it was my vacation, and allow him to carry the item to my room. The restaurant staff was so friendly and got my young children involved in the meal (teaching them Spanish phrases, making guacamole,etc.). Even upon departure, they prepared us a care package of water bottles and wet wipes before our zip lining adventure. The wine bar was a wonderful adult spot and my husband loved the tasting system where he could select tastes of various bottles of wine on his own. The spa was one of the best I have been too. The treatment room overlooks a river and rainforest plants, and even though they only had space for me to have a short treatment (volcanic mud facial), it was one of the best I had ever had.
My only complaint about this resort was that I could see that one could get bored here if you weren't looking for just a relaxed peaceful time. I like to walk around a lot, and I basically go-go-go from dawn to dusk, and then crash. Once you had done a few laps of this resort, I felt like I just had to be peaceful and relax. It was great, but my personality would get bored after a couple of days. I have small children as well, and I could see them getting bored after a couple of days too. My parents were with us on the trip too (mid-60s) and they thought it was the best hotel in the world…So, I think it depends on your personality. I need a bit more space to go for runs, different restaurants, different pools, etc… My parents are happy to rest and read a book.

1  Thank Melissa C
Reviewed 21 July 2014

This was the final stop on our two week Honeymoon in Costa Rica. We had booked 3 nights in a Casita Suite which meant we would have an outdoor shower, jacuzzi tub and views of the Arenal Volcano. We did feel as though we saved the best for last, yet at the same time couldn't help but compare to our travels thus far.

Upon arrival we were greeted with a warm welcome and refreshing rum cocktails! There were about 5 different staff members assisting with our arrival between carrying our luggage, providing our beverages, checking us in, escorting us to our room and showing us around the grounds. My first impression was that this resort was much larger than expected with many more staff members on hand than I would have thought. We were driven by golf cart to our casita #48 which was one of the farthest from the main building, and quite a hike if you are not in shape.
Our suite was huge, there are his and hers sinks and plenty of storage space. The bed had a beautiful display of red rose petals, towel animals and a sign wishing us a happy honeymoon. The resort left us a chilled bottle of champagne complimentary to celebrate as well which was very generous. The first evening we were provided with turn down service which was a plate of cookies, two bottles of water and chocolates. You definitely get the impression that the housekeeping staff want you to tip them as they left a tip envelope out each night. We didn't have any small bills in colones to leave for the maid the first night so we planned on getting smaller bills while we were out, and they didn't leave us anything the second night except for 2 small chocolates. The following night we had treats and towel animals again. Consistency would have been nice. Although the room looked out to the volcano, we were unable to see it past the fog in the three nights we were there. We took use of the hammock outside, but didn't use the jacuzzi tub, instead we opted for the private hot tub below the spa area - you feel like you are alone in the middle of the jungle! We found many of the hot tubs around the resort were not being used.

Because you are in the rainforest, there is an issue with bugs - which is fine if you have spray and can control it, but I was a little put off as each day there were a fresh plate of grapes out in the open in our room. Yes, a nice gesture, but each time we returned after our daily activities the entire plate and table were swarmed with hundreds of little bugs. Not the most enticing atmosphere to come back to if you are looking to relax. I would suggest asking that they do not deliver fruit into your room if you are planning on spending your days on tours or at the pool.

We ate breakfast at the resort everyday, the buffet is included as well as coffee and juice. It is plentiful and has a nice assortment of regular breakfast menu items, typical costa rican foods, an egg/omelette station, fresh fruit and yogurt and an assortment of baked goods. Each day the buffet changed up a little so you could try something new. I enjoyed the buffet and thought the bacon was very good, my husband thought it was a good assortment but typical buffet quality and nothing special. We have had much better breakfasts in Costa Rica. There is also the option of an a la carte breakfast at the adult-only Nayara Springs but we didn't get a chance to try it. I really liked how they offered bags and wrapped up sandwiches and granola that you could take "to-go" if you were leaving the resort for the day. We took plenty of the granola!
The food at the pool bar was more or less typical bar food and nothing really stood out. The drinks were okay, again typical.
We ate two dinners here - the first at Sushi Amour which was delicious, a little pricey but not outrageous. I don't eat seafood and the staff were generous to accomodate my request of customizing a plate. The outdoor setting was really nice as well, and although they recommend reservations, we had no problem securing a nice cozy table in the corner just as a walk-in.

The next dinner was the highlight of our stay at Nayara. The main restaurant has a menu option and a "buffet" option which we opted for. There was a small, but very tasty salad bar, and you choose your own steak that they grill up right there for you along with corn on the cob and a baked potato while you are enoying your salads and wine. The food was delicious and Keilor (I hope I am spelling his name right!) was an amazing host for the evening and assisted us in our menu choices and made some great recommendations. Thank you for your hospitality!

We also took advantage of the spa services. The ladies at the spa were so genuine and welcoming. My husband and I booked seperate services and they were great to put us in the same room looking over the rainforest so that we could enjoy our treatments together. The staff performing the services were knowledgeable and really made us feel pampered. I booked the neck and shoulder massage but received a full body massage. I recommend the coffee scrub as well! The prices were reasonable and the experience was lovely.

Overall, our experience was very nice. We would stay at Nayara again, but I felt that 3 nights here was enough for us. We took advantage of 2 day tours with Desafio, and had plenty of downtime to relax and recoup. The main reasons I would give this hotel 4 stars and not 5 were because of the bugs in the room, the inconsistency in the maid service, quality of breakfast and lunch can be improved and the fact that the grounds, althought lush and tropical, were not very well kept. There were a lot of brown, clearly dead plants and I had seen much better groundskeeping at other resorts on our trip. These are not dealbreakers for our stay, but definitely made me rethink the reasons why this has been named the number 4 hotel in the world. With that standard, I just expected to be blown away and although we enjoyed our stay, there are improvements that could be made here.

Room Tip: If you don't want to walk far, ask for a room closer to the main building. All rooms have great...
1  Thank Michelle T
Jairo Q, Manager at Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2014

Dear Esteemed Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write such an extensive review of our hotel. At Nayara, our top priority is to meet or exceed all of our guests’ highest expectations, and due to our location within the rainforest, we are lucky to be able to offer guests a variety of fresh fruits. Thank you for making us aware of the situation you experienced with turn down service. We truly value your feedback and want you and future guests to know that we are taking care of this and are immediately reinforcing our standards of service so that we avoid this situation in the future. We are happy to know that you have enjoyed your honeymoon and hotel amenities.

Again, thanks so much for your very generous review of Nayara and we hope to have an opportunity to serve you again.
Jairo Quesada
Director of Services, Nayara Hotels.

Reviewed 20 July 2014

The grounds of this resort are beautiful and the service is amazing. We stayed a few nights in a casita, which had a great view of Arenal. The Casita was very large and had an amazing outdoor shower and hot tub. The staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating. The food at the hotel was delicious. We would stay here again when returning to Arenal.

Room Tip: Choose a Casita
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 July 2014

We stayed with another family, for 3 nights in early July. We were 3 adults with 5 children ages 9-14. We had some anxiety regarding staying at what would be considered a honeymoon destination with children but our concerns were quickly put to rest. As most people have already stated in their reviews, this is a beautiful, paradise like setting. The rooms were extremely comfortable, with ample space and a general feel of relaxed luxury. The opening of the adjacent sister property, Nayara Springs, allows for an adult only setting for those travelers who would like to limit interactions with children (it definitely changes the ambience!). For us, the staff uniformly were extremely friendly and welcoming. We saw quite a few families and children. The pool is small but the children were fascinated by the swim up bar and the lounge chairs. They spent time listening to the birds and watching the butterflies. We also took advantage of the surrounding activities which then did not leave much time to swim on property. The food was excellent and all of our party enjoyed the breakfast buffet. The baked goods were warm and tasty. The typical Costa Rican fare was delicious, convincing the picky eaters in our group that there was plenty to enjoy. The adults were able to break away to enjoy drinks at the sushi restaurant and during happy hour (a nice bonus) and experience the lovely setting without our children. We stayed in rooms 22 and 23 which were well located in proximity to the pool, lobby, restaurant. They remained very private and quiet. We unanimously agreed that this was our favorite location to stay on our trip (we stayed in 3 other hotels/resorts during our trip to Costa Rica) and we would come back on our next trip.

Room Tip: Room 22 and 23 are located close to all things, restaurant, pool, secondary restaurants and lobby...
2  Thank jk730
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 64 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#13 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Volcano Lodge & Springs
Volcano Lodge & Springs
#15 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!