My girlfriend is spending 5 weeks in Costa Rica studying Spanish. I decided to visit for a few days. I looked online at all of the hotels in the Arenal area, where we wanted to go. Clearly, the reviews made Nayara sound like the best choice. I read the great reviews and the very few bad reviews and decided that Nayara was worth trying. I consider myself to be a discerning traveler and diner, so I was worried that people might have just gone easy on the hotel in their reviews. I was keeping an open mind.
But from the first minute we arrived to when we left 4 days later, our stay was absolutely fantastic. This was honestly one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The rooms are huge. I got a regular room and we had a huge wrap-around deck with an outdoor jacuzzi, a hammock, outdoor chairs overlooking the rainforest and the volcano (you could hear it rumble from the room, very cool!). We had an enclosed garden and outdoor shower. The room felt spacious, exotic, and romantic.
Everyone at the hotel was extremely helpful. They helped us arrange some hiking tours, which I highly recommend, and they all seemed legitimately happy to make our vacation as enjoyable as possible.
I had read bad things about the food. The truth is (and everyone my girlfriend talks to confirms this), you don't come to Costa Rica for the food. In general, the food here is good, but no 5-star dining. I thought, in that context, the hotel's food was good. The free breakfast was great. They had a huge spread for being included. And lunch and dinner were fun. Not 5-star, but definitely tasty. I highly recommend the fish ceviche, which was actually 5-star delicious.
Also, the pool with jacuzzi jets and the swim up bar were a lot of fun. The pina coladas were great.
In general, the atmosphere was great. We felt like we were at a resort at times, but our room was so big with so many options for things to do (sit outside, sit in the hot tub, take an outside shower together, an inside shower, watch TV, etc) that we felt like we had our own little paradise.
One thing I will say is that there will be a few bugs in the rooms and outside the rooms (this was a subject of concern in some of the negative reviews). Everything is extremely clean, but you're staying next to a rainforest, so there will be insects around. This is something that is unavoidable. There is nothing the hotel could have done about this, and it's something that will happen anywhere in Costa Rica. It didn't affect our trip at all, but you just have to be ready for the occasional moths, mosquitos, or ants.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arenal Nayara Hotel & Gardens is a five star luxury boutique hotel that is widely recognized for providing premium luxury amenities and ultra-personalized service at surprisingly affordable rates. Located in the outskirts of the amazing Arenal Volcano, Arenal Nayara is an oasis of tranquility, where guests can experience a profound and organic immersion with nature, while living in luxury at the same time. Surrounded by lush tropical rainforest, each one of our 50 spacious casitas (bungalows) provide an exclusive, ultra-luxurious retreat. Each expansive casita (ranging from 855 to 1905 square feet) includes a secluded garden with an outdoor shower and a beautiful terrace overlooking the volcano with a private, intimate Jacuzzi for two. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda, Odigeo and Travel Republic (UK) so you can book your Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Arenal Nayara Hotel And Gardens
- Arenal Nayara Hotel Gardens
- Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens Costa Rica/La Fortuna De San Carlos