“the right option in Arenal”

Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 7 August 2010

There are plenty places to stay in Arenal and La Fortuna. After a visit for four nights to Arenal Nayara we can say that this is the right option in Arenal. Very quiet, clean and confortable, good location, nice staff and people....you will not regret.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,422)

Reviewed 6 August 2010

My husband and I decided to begin our honeymoon at Nayara and we were not disappointed! This hotel is gorgeous, the rooms are amazing, and the staff could not be friendlier or more helpful.
Upon our arrival, we had staff rushing out to greet us and help us with our bags. We were given welcome drinks and cold towels as we checked in. They found out it was our honeymoon and immediately gave us a free upgrade to a suite. They took us to our room in a golf cart and did a walk through with us to make sure everything was clean and ready. They made sure we had a complimentary bottle of champagne waiting for us (also because of the honeymoon). The room was gorgeous and had an amazing view of the volcano.
The hotel itself is beautiful. The grounds are covered with exotic flowers and plants. Just walking around the grounds I found myself taking pictures of all the various flowers. The staff is so friendly and always ready to help. We didn't have to lift a finger our entire stay. The food was also incredible. I loved all the fresh fruit for breakfast and dinners were always delicious. I am a vegetarian and ate very well at this hotel! They also had free internet access in the lobby so you can contact people back home if necessary.
Many thanks to the hotel and the staff for making our honeymoon so relaxing and enjoyable.

Reviewed 5 August 2010

I have traveled quite extensively internationally and this hotel may have been one of the most beauitiful, serene, accomodating hotels I've ever had the pleasure of staying at. I typically don't go back to the same places again b/c I like to experience new things but I would never stay anywhere else should my travels bring me back to this area. The staff was extremely friendly and seemed to remember each guest. An added benefit was free internet AND phone calls to the USA from the lobby as well as the wine bar.

• Stayed: July 2010
Reviewed 3 August 2010

We arrived on July 23th - myself, my husband and our 11 year old daughter. We stayed for 3 nights at Nayara - then traveled to Manuel Antonio to stay 5 nights at a hotel on the beach before heading home. It was our first trip to Costa Rica. Arenal Nayara had helped me plan all of our travel arrangements for air conditioned transfers throughout our trip - and all went smoothly and perfectly. We didn't use a travel agent. I simply booked the airfare - then booked Nayara and another hotel on the beach at Manuel Antonio so that we'd see as much of Costa Rica as we could - and the wonderful staff at Nayara took care of the rest. They booked our tours, our transfers, everything.

And so after a long flight and long drive...we arrived...

You know when you see photos of a place online - but you can't really get the "feel" for it that way - and you can't imagine exactly what it will be like when you're standing there in person - all 360 degrees of it around you? Often hotels don't live up to the brochures or the photos that we see onlne. So as we made our way from San Jose Airport by car for 3 1/2 hours - we weren't sure what to expect when we arrived. And from the moment we were welcomed at Nayara with a cold drink and cool towel - then were brought by golf cart to our Casita (they're like private villas) - we were completely blown away by the beauty of it all - and we quickly came to the realization that no photo and no brochure can possibly do this place justice... The casitas are enormous, round, private buildings - with the largest bathroom we've ever seen. There are double sinks across the giant room from each other, double outdoor showers surrounded by a lush, tropical garden - and a glass indoor shower with double shower heads also - that looks out on the private outdoor showers and gardens. Each casita has an "enormous" wrap around deck with tons of privacy due to the lush landscaping, a private jacuzzi and two sitting areas. And all of this, from the moment you wake in the morning, overlooks this incredible volcano directly in front of you. Everything about this place is shining and modern - from the large, flat screen tv's to the ipod docking stations - to the design of the bathrooms. The ceiling is round and soaring in a cathedral fashion - with fans whirling overhead. You'll never want to leave.

But leave we did - as we went into town for dinner, zip lined, rappelled through waterfalls, hiked, crossed hanging bridges, swam in waterfalls, enjoyed the hot springs of Tabacon and took in as much of the breathtaking scenery as two days would allow... And nothing was better than coming home to Nayara each afternoon, going for a dip in the pool, showering outdoors, heading down to the wine bar where we were able to call home in the states for free and to use their internet as we sipped our wine, then returned once more after dinner for a blissful nights sleep on their comfortable beds and pillows...and then off to their lovely buffet breakfast again each morning. Each day that we woke there - we would pull back the shades first thing so that we could see the volcano towering right before us.

We stay at four and five star resorts always - Four Seasons, Fairmonts, Ritz Carlton, The Penninsula, Waldorf, etc. - and this competes with them all - but it offers something more... Nayara is unique. It's not a chain. You feel as though you've discovered this intimate secret that only a lucky few will discover with you. It made this trip our best vacation ever - and that's saying a great deal as we've been lucky enough to have been to some truly amazing places.

When we left Nayara and travelled by car for 5 1/2 hours to Manuel Antonio - sadly, the hotel we arrived at on the beach, although the rates were literally twice as much as Nayara's rates, couldn't compare. It wasn't as clean. It was as plush. It wasn't as pampering or as lovely in any way. As one couple that were on their honeymoon at this beach hotel said to me "We've been completely underwhelmed in every way way at this hotel - and this is supposed to be a 4-5 star hotel?" I wished, for her sake, that she and her new husband had stayed at Nayara instead. They would not have been disappointed.

My daughter cried for the first day and a half after arriving at the beach hotel, begging us to go back to Nayara. She's a beach girl - and for the first time ever - she wanted to leave the beach - and return to the place we had come to love and treasure - Nayara.

We had to admit - we were all sorry we left and we regretted not spending our entire vacation there. But the plans were set and we had travelled far - so we made the best of it - and ended up enjoying our time on the beach and in the national park. But mostly what the hotel in Manuel Antonio made us realize more than ever - was how very special and unique and amazing Nayara is - and how very few places in the world can compete.

And to underline our thoughts - we met so many other people on our vacation through tours, etc. who had also stayed at Nayara first - before heading down to Manuel Antonio (some staying at the same hotel on the beach as us once again) and every single one of them - from familes to couples - all echoed our thoughts. Nayara is simply beautiful. The people who work there are fantastic and warm and accomodating. And you are pampered. You've discovered this secret shangrila. The only question remaining is - should you tell anyone...or should you keep this amazing secret all to yourself? As I write the first review I've ever written on Tripadvisor or anywhere else - I guess it's pretty clear - I've decided to tell... :)

We fell in love with Costa Rica. From its Volcano to its rocky shores, rainforests that go on forever, its soft sand and warm waters. We fell in love with its people. And we fell in love with Nayara. We'll be back. Until then we'll dream of the birds and the bunnies and the flowers spread in view of the towering volcano. We'll dream of the day we'll return. And if you decide to go and discover it all for yourselves - I think you'll be back too...

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank CTtraveler030
Reviewed 3 August 2010

Very nice hotel. Excellent food and great service. The gym and spa were a really great additional facility.This hotelwould be the best in Arenal but for the lack of hot springs and slightly small pool but otherwise a really good stay. Booked through Marina Villatoro who was brilliant.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2010

My girlfriend is spending 5 weeks in Costa Rica studying Spanish. I decided to visit for a few days. I looked online at all of the hotels in the Arenal area, where we wanted to go. Clearly, the reviews made Nayara sound like the best choice. I read the great reviews and the very few bad reviews and decided that Nayara was worth trying. I consider myself to be a discerning traveler and diner, so I was worried that people might have just gone easy on the hotel in their reviews. I was keeping an open mind.

But from the first minute we arrived to when we left 4 days later, our stay was absolutely fantastic. This was honestly one of the best hotels I've ever stayed in. The rooms are huge. I got a regular room and we had a huge wrap-around deck with an outdoor jacuzzi, a hammock, outdoor chairs overlooking the rainforest and the volcano (you could hear it rumble from the room, very cool!). We had an enclosed garden and outdoor shower. The room felt spacious, exotic, and romantic.

Everyone at the hotel was extremely helpful. They helped us arrange some hiking tours, which I highly recommend, and they all seemed legitimately happy to make our vacation as enjoyable as possible.

I had read bad things about the food. The truth is (and everyone my girlfriend talks to confirms this), you don't come to Costa Rica for the food. In general, the food here is good, but no 5-star dining. I thought, in that context, the hotel's food was good. The free breakfast was great. They had a huge spread for being included. And lunch and dinner were fun. Not 5-star, but definitely tasty. I highly recommend the fish ceviche, which was actually 5-star delicious.

Also, the pool with jacuzzi jets and the swim up bar were a lot of fun. The pina coladas were great.

In general, the atmosphere was great. We felt like we were at a resort at times, but our room was so big with so many options for things to do (sit outside, sit in the hot tub, take an outside shower together, an inside shower, watch TV, etc) that we felt like we had our own little paradise.

One thing I will say is that there will be a few bugs in the rooms and outside the rooms (this was a subject of concern in some of the negative reviews). Everything is extremely clean, but you're staying next to a rainforest, so there will be insects around. This is something that is unavoidable. There is nothing the hotel could have done about this, and it's something that will happen anywhere in Costa Rica. It didn't affect our trip at all, but you just have to be ready for the occasional moths, mosquitos, or ants.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2010

NAYARA EXCEEDED ALL EXPECTATIONS.
I was cautious about this trip, but needed something different. This trip was a surprise for hubby's 40th birthday. The biggest surprise was how beautiful, wonderful, excellent and peaceful this warm weather trip was - we're snowboarders, near 20 years. tattooed snowboarders. Except for frequent visits with family in nevada, we don't do warm weather trips. Ever. BOTTOM LINE: WE ADORED NAYARA and arenal area. we're already planning to return this april!

I booked accommodations through Nayara, and purchased my airfare separately. we did not go anywhere else in costa rica, as many people do, so I did not need a tour company, or anything elaborate. correspondence with Nayara was very easy and pleasant. they arranged airport transfers for us, we did not rent a car. for our future trip, we are contemplating a few nights in a national park in the south pacific region, then Nayara. We plan on using the same transfer company with Nayara's assistance.

The entire staff was simply gracious. I arranged some some tours/spa in advance, but at check in, your representative may offer to help you with tours. *please don't feel like he is trying to make a sale. if you want to do nothing but sit at the pool, just tell him. the arenal region is often for adventure. most people are there for excursions as well as romance and relaxation. in fact, at the pool and at the wine bar, you'll meet other guests and right away exchange stories about what tours you have taken, what you have planned, etc. Its great if you find like minded travelers! Nayara staff is awesome about making changes for you. we added a tour and had to change our spa times. no problem. we really enjoyed and recommend the rio celeste hike (great 3-4 hour hike! wear hiking boots or good trail shoes) and canyoneering. since it was the rainy season, we did not opt for the night lava viewing hikes, day volcano hikes etc. this is why we plan on going back so soon. we're not done!
good to know - computers for use in the lobby and wine bar, wi-fi in lobby and wine bar, and free phone calls from the lobby! the staff will help you make phone calls if needed. we had a issue with our new camera, and we we're having trouble dialing from the computer, so a staff member gave us a phone and got us connected with the company right away.

current reviews complain of construction noise, we heard nothing. just the relaxing sounds of the forest, perfect for falling asleep in the hammock.

Our casita - very clean and very comfy and very big. It was very private with 2 balconies, surrounded by humming birds feeding from the flowering plants and trees. The outdoor shower is such a nice touch! Our casita was situated slightly uphill on the property, so sitting on one of our balconies was like being up in a tree house! Each morning we would go out with the camera to spot wild life. If you love flora, bring your best lenses. tropical flowers all around. Some of the pictures on the website are older, the grounds are currently super lush and unbelievably gorgeous!

Please bring your appetite to Costa Rica. Nayara's breakfast is excellent and filling, as is customary. Hubby and I enjoy all cuisines, and appreciate a non-american breakfast, so we really looked forward to our gallo pinto y platanos in the morning. If the thought of tamales, empanadas, yucca, beef stew, etc for breakfast doesn't excite you, don't worry, there's a great omelet station, cereal, yogurt, lots of fresh fruit and baked goods, and a different pancake/ waffle type offering as well as breakfast meats each morning, and all beverages. dinner at the restaurant was wonderful. A nightly theme menu is offered, but we did not order it. Instead, a few nights we orders from the regular menu, and one night from the tapas menu. Everything we ordered was great. Large portions, fresh and just yummy. Delightful service. And, very important, very decent wine. Not a wine drinker? Imperial. I'm not a light-ish beer drinker - tasty and very clean, perfect on a humid night with some grilled meat!

The spa - all treatments were relaxing, the facility is lovely, like being in a treehouse. Very professional staff. We had a few different massages and wraps during our stay. Hubby is more of a spa hound than I am, he recommends hot stone. I prefer a light back massage paired with a wrap. After your treatment you can opt to add on the jacuzzi. very lovely!

finally, please do not be swayed by a nearby, comparable price-point, hot springs resort. I booked day passes for tabacon with lunch and spa treatments. although the springs/gardens were large and beautiful, we were greeted by a very rude host. Although the spa was accommodating, we again received terrible treatment at the restaurant during lunch, and again at the pool bar. this place was a zoo. if you want packs of kids screaming around the waterside, go to disney.

1  Thank jlamanna73
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#6 of 65 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#6 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#11 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
#14 of 59 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!