“A stunning hotel, with the most gracious service anywhere. Period.”

Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens
GreenLeadersGold level
Brooklyn, New York
“A stunning hotel, with the most gracious service anywhere. Period.”
Reviewed 24 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel with three teenagers and a grandma who is not exactly a spring chicken. We were all blown away with the hotel, both in terms of the physical plant, but also (and especially) with the attitude of the people who work there.

First, the setting. It is around 5 miles out of La Fortuna, in the direction of the Arenal Volcano and Lake Arenal. The road is paved and in good repair, although the driveway to the hotel includes a 300 meter rugged dirt portion. With car (we had one, and I would recommend it), travel into town was trivially easy. The hotel itself is on a hill, with the cabins above the lobby and restaurant. They have carts that can take people up and down the hill at no charge, which came in handy when grandma was fatigued. The grounds are beautifully landscaped, and the view of the volcano is stunning. The only disappointment is that the hotel is not on the lava side, but you can't have everything.

The rooms are spectacular. I started my stay wondering why an outdoor shower was a desirable thing, and I finished it wondering how I will ever live without one. The view of the steaming volcano out the picture window from your bed was spectacular. The beds were comfortable. The mod TV was lovely. As was the superclean mod bath. The air conditioning was very effective and cooled the room down within 5 minutes or so of turning it on. I didn't try the jacuzzi on the terrace.

Our room rate included breakfast, which was hearty and delicious. Omelettes cooked to order. Gallo pinto. Maduros. Breakfast meats. Baked goods. And delicious fruits, juices, and coffee. It rendered lunch largely unnecessary. And the restaurant staff was friendly and attentive. We ate two dinners there as well, and found the food to be fresh and tasty, the prices reasonable, and the staff just as friendly as they were at dinner.

The staff was, without question, the most friendly and gracious staff I have ever experienced. From the welcome drink when we arrived to the bottles of water for the road when we left, we felt pampered, catered to, and cared for at all times. Delightfully, we did not have the sense that we were being nickle-and-dimed for services that, by rights should be included in the room rate. At the Nayara, these things were, in fact, included. Grandma whiled away some hours surfing the internet for free on the laptops provided in the lobby and eating the delicious fruit set out there. She reports that every half hour or so, someone would come by to check on her, see if she needed anything, and bring her juice or coffee. It was rainy season when we stayed. I soon noticed racks of umbrellas scattered throughout the property on an honor system. In fact, there were a couple of umbrellas sitting outside our cabins, so we could freely walk around the property without worrying about forgetting an umbrella.

The pool is smallish and very warm. But it is perfect for sitting in and eating or drinking at the tables that are embedded into it. There are no hot springs on site, but there are several choices nearby. Having not used the spa, I can't comment on it. Having used the attended parking, I can say it was a terrific thing to know that my car and its contents were safe, and to also know that I had access to the vehicle at all times without having to wait for a valet.

In short, I felt that this was the perfect hotel. Comfortable. Attentive. Luxorious. And not leaving me with a feeling that my wallet was suffering death by a thousand paper cuts. If you can work the Nayara into your travel plans, do it. It is a lovely, lovely place to stay.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank brooklynjon

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (917)
Atlanta
Reviewed 23 August 2010

This was a most incredible experience. The staff was amazing and friendly. The rooms are so breathtaking and secluded. We enjoyed the outdoor shower and bath! The swim up bar was great and fun for meeting new people. I enjoyed the spa treatments while there and found them to be top notch. I would return to Nayara in a split second if we return to Costa Rica. The highlight was watching the volcano errupt from just about anywhere we were on the grounds. The food was wonderful and I have zero complaints and consider myself a seasoned world wide traveler.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed 22 August 2010

I went with my husband for a romantic weekend getaway, to reconnect, and get away from jobs, kids, worries, etc; and we came back a happy, relaxed couple. The service was outstanding; the staff was super friendly and always willing to please. The rooms were romantic and tasteful, surrounded by beautiful gardens and sounds of nature, and a spectacular view of the Arenal Volcano, which by the way is an incredible experience. The food was great and not overpriced. We had a couples massage at the Spa, which added an extra gallon of relaxation to our stay. My husband generally hates massages, but he loved the hot stones massage. I would recommend this hotel to anyone!!!! The only drawback: we had to leave…

1 Thank Karla61
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 21 August 2010

We stayed here for part our Costa Rica honeymoon. We had a great stay and the room was beautiful. It was very spacious, clean, romantic and modern. We loved the free international phone and internet service. The views were breathtaking. I also had a chocolate massage at the spa which was delightful. We loved the hotel pets to include bunny rabbits. The breakfast was wonderful with fresh local fruits and cheeses. The wine bar looked spectacular but we didn't have a chance to enjoy it. Thanks again to everyone at Nayara for making our honeymoon so wonderful!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
New York
Reviewed 20 August 2010

The town of Fortuna is totally built for tourists to look at the volcano which occasionally spouts smoke and lave. This hotel has terrific amazingly huge rooms, with free standing double showers, his and her vanities, and huge sliding doors looking out at the volcano. But the service really undercuts this hotel. Everyone appears to be about 20 years old and clueless.

The restaurant is horrible. Do not eat there!!! We arrived on the day of my birthday, after a long flight, and a two hour drive. We had a great massage and then we went for dinner. The potato soup was water with a bit of potato powder, the lambchops were ALL gristle, and they didn't even understand what we ordered, so they only brought out one entry. They went back to cook the other entry, but it came over 1/2 hour later!!!! And then they charged us almost a hundred dollars. This was the worst meal we had our entire stay in Costa Rica. You would think they would do something to compensate for this horrible service, but as I said, the waitstaff was clueless.

A day later, I went looking for the manager to complain, I was told he wasn't in at that time. I tried again the next night before I left. Again he wasn't in. The next morning we left at 5:00 to go on a white water rafting tour and I wrote "Freddy," the manager, a long note to tell him these details and thought he should contact me to discuss. He emailed me a day later IN SPANISH(which thankfully, I can read just enough to get by) and told me he would look into the situation and get back to me. He NEVER DID. In conclusion-- a beautiful room, but there's a hundred other places which you will enjoy more.

1 Thank DrDebra
azaragovia, Owner at Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens, responded to this review, 24 August 2010
Since we opened our doors two years ago, we’ve been fortunate enough to have one of the highest customer satisfaction rates of any hotel in Costa Rica, consistently managing to be TripAdvisor’s top hotel in Arenal. As a hotel that prides itself on the complete satisfaction of its guests, we are always saddened whenever we’re not able to meet a guest’s expectations. We are very sorry that you left disappointed, and we hope to have an opportunity to change your mind about our hotel in the future.

Angelo Zaragovia

President of the Board
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 20 August 2010

If the only thing you want to do is hang out at a beautiful hotel with beautiful grounds offering spa services, then this is for you. It was great for a short stay but anything longer than a couple of days and it starts to feel insular. Maybe we went at an off-time (Feb), but the hotel was very quiet and felt empty. We booked tours and such through the hotel and had no problems, it was generally a very pleasant stay, but perhaps it would have been nicer to be closer to La Fortuna or least to have more convenient transportation to get there.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2010

No picture, video or description could possibly portray just how amazing this property/resort is. It is breathtaking. The view and the grounds are lush and gorgeous. The casita's are so beautiful, private, comfortable, with everything you could ever want or need. The outside jacuzzi and shower...oh, my gosh. We never took one shower inside (which was also nice). The pool was great and the swim up bar's drinks were really, really good. It really just doesn't get much better. I have been blessed to have stayed in some nice places, but this truly is one of the best. The entire Nayara staff were so nice and called my 4 year old daughter by her name every time they saw her. We ate our breakfast looking at and feeding parrots, macaws and bunnies every morning...our little girl was in heaven. We thought the food was outstanding. Everything we ordered, we loved. I read that the food was average on this site from a few reviews, it was not average. Breakfast was amazing, the salads and ceviche were delicious. We couldn't have had a better time, and highly recommend this hotel. Seeing hummingbirds and toucans fly around watching the volcano while taking an outside bubble bath was surreal. We will never forget our time at the Nayara. Thank you everyone who made our stay so wonderful!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
The Springs Resort and Spa
The Springs Resort and Spa
#5 of 62 in Arenal Volcano National Park
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Spa & Resort
The Royal Corin Thermal Water Sp...
#7 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
#5 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa
#11 of 57 in La Fortuna de San Carlos

Been to Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens? Share your experiences!