“check your harness when canyoning”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Pure Trek - Tours

Pure Trek - Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Since 2001, Pure Trek Canyoning has been leading this new multi-sport adventure tour Canyoning by rappelling down waterfalls and hiking on beautiful trails in this spectacular rain forest slot canyon located right under the active Arenal Volcano in the town of La Fortuna. At Pure Trek we believe in focusing on one thing and doing it the best...Canyoning... that will rock your socks off!!! Family friendly...and adventurists too.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
“check your harness when canyoning”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2014

I had not been repelling before. Before the first repel, they teach everyone how to repel and explain the harness. If you are a first timer, they will do your harness differently than they way it was explained. You will be lowered by them, with your main rope serving as a back up rope. They will do this without explaining it to you. This resulted in my freaking out when I was lowered because I was under the impression that I was in control of the repel when I actually was not.

Out of the four repels, my harness was done this way 3 out of the 4 repels. When I finally got control during my 4th repel, things dramatically improved. Now, I would actually consider going repelling again realizing that I can actually control my descent down the waterfall.

Besides this issue, I did enjoy the hike between repels and my experience. Just be aware that if you are a first timer, your harness will likely be done differently than everyone else's.

Visited August 2014

Bethesda, Maryland
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“pushing my fear of heights down a bit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I hate heights... stopped skiing out west because of heights.. stopped doing a lot because of the fear. Soooo i decided to do something about, repel the waterfalls in Costa Rica! once you get on the trucks to go up the mountains there is no turning back... walking to the first 165ft fall was mentally exhausting! waiting for my turn (i was towards the back of the group)my knees became weak and my hands were sweating. i really thought i would get sick...when it came to my turn i asked if someone could go tandem and the answer was no... they deal with wimps all the time! they hooked me up, told me to keep staring into there eyes,NOT TO LOOK DOWN, and lean back... could do all except the leaning back, totally unnatural for a mother to lean back into a cliff..!!! so with a little help i was over and there i was pushing off the rock while water was splashing on my helmet! made it down and had three more to go! another reason i pushed myself was that if my 84 year old father in law could do it,then so could i:) glad i did it... also the hanging bridges, but that is another review!

New Jersey
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“great experience on the excursion itself”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014

It was our first time rapelling although our teenage daughter has done technical climbing with ropes before. Our group had about 20 people,so the waits weren't very long and we could all hear instructions. It was very scary going over the first cliff and having to rely on the ropes. I enjoyed myself more and more as we continued through the four cliffs, 3 with waterfalls, one without.

There was one hitch with our visit. We called the previous day and made reservation, with pickup from hotel, but no pickup arrived. After waiting, we called them, and they didn't have us on the list. It was too late for us to drive over (we did have rental car, but since it was same price with or without pickup, we had decided on pickup). They stilll had availability for the afternoon, so we joined that one. this time we decided to drive ourselves to their base camp so there would be no mixup. They did give us a slight discount for the troubles from earlier in the day ($5 US off per person).

Santa Rosa, California, United States
“So much fun! I loved it.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

Exciting but not scary. Awesome repelling. Try it, you will love it! The nearby waterfall was beautiful and I wanted to repeal down the middle but for safety reasons, we went to the side. Of the fall. Exciting.

Visited January 2014
League City, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Family Adventure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

What a fun family adventure. We did Rapelling in the waterfalls with this company. What an exciting adventure. I felt 100% safe with this company, they really are concerned about safety and making it heart pumping!