“Quaint Villa Outside Turrialba Overlooking Sugar Fields”

Hotel Villa Florencia
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Turrialba
Atlanta, Georgia
“Quaint Villa Outside Turrialba Overlooking Sugar Fields”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2010

Gorgeous views from the hilltop of this quaint villa. Individual rooms all have great views. Very quiet and secluded.

Service was great. Breakfast is traditional Cost Rican. Coffee was outstanding.

Very nice pool and jacuzzi overlooking sugar fields and mountains.

Close to the outdoor activities - rafting, canyoneering, etc.

Only issue was mattress was thin and not comfortable for sleeping.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Heredia, Costa Rica
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

What a great place to stay. It's out in the countryside, a converted, modernized farmhouse surrounded by sugarcane fields. The trees were alive with the beautiful song of the Oropendola and the occasional Tucan. The hotel is family run with a friendly staff.
The food is excellent but, don't expect a good steak anywhere in Costa Rica.
The good rooms are a bit pricey but, well worth it.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with friends
St. Augustine, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2010

Let me start off by saying our stay at Villa Florencia was nothing short of perfect. The location of the hotel is nicely secluded with beautiful views of sugar cane and the surrounding mountains as a back drop. The open air quality of the hotel kept us quite cool as well. The rooms were clean, spacious and the overall atmosphere was exactly what we were looking for.
Ida could not of been a better host. She gave us insight into the surrounding area of Turrialba as well activities we might be interested in. Chief Tavo cooked us a delicious breakfast as well as a dinner of Sea bass and vegetables that were out of this world.
All in all I would highly recommend Villa Florencia to anyone who wants to stay in wonderful hotel in a beautiful location. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Noblesville, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2010

I was in Turrialba on company business and spent 3 nights at Villa Florencia. I was told by coworkers that it was very nice, knew they had a new pool and had checked out their website and face book page before I arrived. However, such research can never prepare you for the warmth and excellent food that I enjoyed during my stay. I'm not hard to please and it was the company's dime, but it felt more like I perceive a bed and breakfast to be with regards to the friendly staff and overall warmth I felt. It was like I was staying with relatives.
Even the staff who speak little English, have their way of making you feel very welcomed. One night, while sitting in the hot tub during a steady rain (which was so cool), the older gentleman who stays there during the night walked down and just stood there holding an umbrella. I felt like I had a body guard. We only exchanged a "Pura Vida" or "Bueanas Noches". I wondered if he was trying to tell me if it was time to get out for the night, but after I went from the hot tub to the refreshing pool, he just walked back to the building. I later found out from another guest who spoke fluent Spanish, that he was worried that I might go into shock or something, during the transistion. Apparently a Tico would never consider such a stunt.

I wouldn't call the internet high speed, but I had no trouble with it (after figuring out how to type the @ symbol on their keyboard).

Being my first time out of the United States, I worried unnecessarily about food. Everything I ate over 4 days was very good, but the food at the Villa was among the best I ever had. Gustavo, being a trained chef, is clearly passionate about his craft. Most of the time, there were only about 6 of us in the dining room. I wondered how Gustavo could justify such elegant food preparation efforts on so few, but it sure didn't seem to matter. One night there was a large local group that came to eat. It made it feel more festive for a change.

The room was very clean even though that part of the building is considerably older than the restaurant that was added on about 4 yrs. ago (if I remember right). The floors were particularly impressive, especially considering that much of the flooring is open air to the moist climate.
At first I thought the room didn't have a TV, but then noticed doors up high that hid a 19" tube TV with SKY network which included quite a few American programs, some with Spanish subtitles. They use electric tankless water heaters and you need to be careful, as the water can get plenty hot.

I look forward to another trip. Maybe the next one will include my wife.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
Newfoundland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

One of my favorite places to stay. Why have I returned time after time? Great service, staff, and comfort. The garden is beautiful and the addition of the labels on the garden plants (many of them native species) is a nice added touch. Gustavo has been a great host during every stay and Jena, a fellow Canadian, went out of her way to make sure that we were well taken care of. This is a great region of Costa Rica. Like Villa Florencia, it feels real and provides access to nature-based and cultural diversions. Every stay I have found something different and memorable to see and do. There will be a stay number 5.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2010

We stayed at Villa Florencia for 2 nights after reading the trip advisor reviews.
The rooms are OK clean hot water good value for the money.
What made our stay an amazing experience was the team of the hotel.
Listening and preparing our dreams with great Mojito one of the best Fillet Minion’s we ever ate the atmosphere of the place is relaxing. The property has a variety type of trees and birds. A real pearl in Turrialba
PS free internet is another plus.

Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2010

We loved Villa Florencia! Jana took such good care of us! Gustavo made amazing dishes every night for dinner. The location was amazingly beautiful and relaxing as well.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turrialba
Hotel Guayabo Lodge
#1 of 1 in Pacuare River
Orosi Lodge
Orosi Lodge
#1 of 3 in Orosi

Been to Hotel Villa Florencia? Share your experiences!