“Charming hotel out in the country”
Review of Hotel Casa Turire

Hotel Casa Turire
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Turrialba
Reviewed 5 June 2014

We spent one night at Casa Turire. We were greeted at the front desk by very friendly staff and a delicious fruit drink. The hotel itself is a short distance from the main town and you feel out in the country. It is surrounded by beautiful property. The hotel itself is very pretty and has an airy feel to it. Our room was large and comfortable. It was upstairs and directly above the front entrance. It had a screened door and small outside sitting area. There was no A/C but we didn't need it with the continuous cool breeze. The only downside of this hotel was the smell of the room. Of all the 10 hotels we stayed in this one smelled the most of mildew. If that smell will bother you, you may want to reconsider. Having lived in higher humidity areas we were accustomed to the smell and didn't let it bother us too much but I can see how it might be a distraction.
The hotel is VERY quiet. It seemed we had the entire hotel to ourselves, although we did see other guests. We enjoyed walking the grounds and made use of the outside gazebo. The pool looked clean and inviting. We enjoyed their open air sitting areas and we even played a couple games of billiards. We did have dinner and breakfast at this restaurant. The dinner was pretty good, not the best meal I had in Costa Rica but pretty good. Breakfast was also good and satisfying. The hotel is about 10 minutes from the closest town. The drive from San Jose to Turrialba is a very curvy road but such a beautiful drive! Do allow yourself the extra time for the drive if you are driving yourself.

Room Tip: We did have the room directly above the entrance. During busy times I can see how this could be ver...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 14 May 2014

Thee archiitecture and gardens just drive you thru the feel of an Hacienda, thee rooms are comfortable just note there is no AC, but fan will work, the pool is very relaxing and food is great, just sitting on the living room read a book and feel the fresh air will make your stay

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 May 2014

Loved this hotel and felt so lucky to return to stay in it twice. Friendly welcome and a fabulous upgrade on the last stay to a suite with the biggest bed ever and a very snazzy bathroom. It was in a different league to the standard room, newly decorated and exceptionally clean. The restaurant was excellent. Very welcoming and made me feel very comfortable as a single girl traveling. Food was delicious and I happily munched through a very interesting menu. I had a fabulous massage.. Best in costa rica and care was taken with my sunburn. I'm sure there were activities you could do within the hotel but due to a very hectic holiday it was lovely to read my book on my hotel room balcony, admire the views and bird life and just reflect on how lucky I was!

Room Tip: I cant remember the number but without a shadow of a doubt go for one of their suites... What a trea...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Holly L
Reviewed 23 April 2014

This place was given a top choice designation by the Lonely Planet so we tried it and loved it. The room was very beautiful, there was a little swimming hole you could hike to, and the view from the dining room was stunning. This place is also very authentically Tico.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 April 2014

We only got to stay for one night but loved this hotel. The price, the room, the property...it all was amazing. They take great care here and it shows. The dinner and breakfast we had were very tasty. We would definately stay here again!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: they all seem great
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2014

Sitting on a gorgeous lake with the Turrialba Volcano smoking on the horizon and a beautiful palm tree lined driveway - one can just imagine what this private home once was like. It is now a small boutique hotel with gorgeous views and great walking trails, beautiful pool area, lovely dining area and large, clean rooms with super comfortable beds. We could not kayak cuz lake was low due to dry season - but we did go horseback riding - available right at the hotel grounds. Great adventure exploring Sugar Cane and Cocao fields! A lovely Montezuma oropendola called out to us through out the day - and many other birds about. Also - great white rafting is very close by! Highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank janbill16
Reviewed 16 April 2014

It's in my backyard so I visit frequently. Fantastic lodging experience and MUST-DO for any traveler coming through Turrialba that prefers mid-to-upper level accommodations. The kind of place worth visiting all on it's own so try to set aside a long morning (at worst) to simply enjoy the property both inside the building and the gardens, trails, horses and restaurant. My company handles a demanding clientele and we often make specific requests and have always been met with 'yes can' attitude. This includes very particular requests such as arranging strict kosher meals, late night check-ins, specific luggage arrangements, reserved tables for dining, etc.. They've always been known to offer high level guest treatment (I've visited Turire regularly since 1992) and from what I perceived in my last visit, the notion is sustained today although I know on any given day this could fall through the cracks so I understand JEREMY138's comment. If you're looking for a destination that breaks from the traditional (and often saturated) tourist spots (like Fortuna, Manuel Antonio, Monteverde) I strongly recommend considering Turrialba and Casa Turire is a wonderful base to then venture on awesome, genuine adventure and nature tours like rafting down the Pacuare, canyoning, mountain biking GALORE and incursions into indigenous territories nearby. If you have specific requirements and want to insure a steady hand overseeing, seek out Jana Daigle in management, she's provided me with thorough, timely follow up many times over. Near the hotel is the Pejibaye River, which is used for rafting trips but even for those that just enjoy great swimholes and mingling with locals, it's FANTASTIC and just minutes from Turire. Enjoy...

Room Tip: If your budget restricts you to standard level, then book as early as possible -- those seem to go q...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank InsideScoopCOSTARICA
Also consider these accommodations in or near Turrialba
Hotel Guayabo Lodge
#1 of 3 in Orosi
Paraiso Orocay Lodge
Paraiso Orocay Lodge
#4 of 5 in Cartago

Been to Hotel Casa Turire? Share your experiences!