We spent a weekend at Rancho with a group- the Birding Club of Costa Rica - expats and Costa Ricans that go all over the country on birding trips. The reason to select Rancho was because of its reputation for birding, and it did not disappoint! BUT... if you are not a 'birder' but want to see a really beautiful part of Costa Rica and have a wonderful time - head to Rancho. First, the rooms are wonderful - we stayed in the Lodge and see for yourself in the photos - beautiful room looking out over both the hummingbird feeders and a spectacular view of the valley and the Irazu and Turrialba volcanos. Meals are another huge plus - seriously great food . We are vegetarians and they are well prepared and served some of the better vegetarian dishes we have had in the country. Service is incredible - Lisa the manager and her team are attentive, helpful and cater to your every need. Hiking , horseback riding are available , and you are a day trip away from wonderful sites to see such as the Sloth Sanctuary on the coast and the newly updated National Monument Park at Guyabo - a really interesting pre-columbian site to visit . Oh, and the birding is great too ;-) We saw over 100 different species over the weekend and the guides were wonderful. All in all , a most wonderful stay - highly recommend it to any lover of nature as a base for visiting this part of Costa Rica.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The premier birding lodge in Costa Rica, Rancho Naturalista is among the finest in Central America. There are plentiful hummingbirds on the large, open upstairs balcony where you can view the distant smoking volcano. Over 430 species of birds have been recorded in the area. You can hike and bird the trails on your own, and excellent guides are available as well. At Rancho Naturalista the atmosphere is warm and relaxed, and the staff are friendly and welcoming. This comfortable lodge is famous for its excellent food, well prepared, and made with the best fresh local ingredients. (All meals are included.) The weather is almost perfect, not too hot and not too cold. Rancho Naturalista is a wonderful getaway for bird watchers, hikers, and nature lovers! ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Rancho Naturalista Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Hotel Turrialba
- Rancho Naturalista Costa Rica/Turrialba