“Excellent birding with Carlos Luis Jimenez”

Eco Explorers Costa Rica
Montreal, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Excellent birding with Carlos Luis Jimenez”
Reviewed 6 April 2011

If you are interested in finding a truly excellent birding guide for the Guanacaste area (and even beyond), then you should contact Carlos Luis Jimenez, who can be reached at http://www.ecoexplorercr.com.

My wife and I were at the Occidental Grand Papagayo in Guanacaste for a week in mid-March. (This all-inclusive hotel was generally ok and, all things considered, of good value.) As far as birding goes, I was fortunate to engage Carlos for a full day of birding (very early morning to very late afternoon). It was a wonderful and productive outing combing low land dry forest (Santa Rosa National Park) and rainforest (north side of Rincón de la Vieja National Park). I had been to other parts of Costa Rica in earlier trips so many of the birds that we saw I had seen before but it was a joy to see again some old favourites such as the long-tailed manakin. There were plenty of new ones to list as well, including Pacific north-west specialties such as thicket tinamou, tody motmot, banded wren, stub-tailed spadebill, and brown-crested flycatcher. Other delights included great curassow, collared forest-falcon, royal flycatcher, northern bentbill, ocellated antbird, spotted antbird, and rufus-winged tanager…and more.

Carlos was a superb guide. I have had day outings with quite a few guides in Costa Rica and as well as in Panama and I can honestly say that he ranks among the very best. He has a remarkable ear (and voice) for bird song and calls and is amazing in his ability to locate birds in the dense foliage. He blends persistence and patience in both finding birds and, the key part, making sure you get a good look at them. Carlos’ English is very strong and he is a pleasant person to spend time with. Finally, his rates are reasonable and more than fair.

My only regret is that I did not have more time to spend with him.

Visited March 2011
6 Thank jhb_11

London, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic...”
Reviewed 7 December 2010

My husband and I along with another couple have just arrived home from another week in Costa Rica. We stayed in Papagayo and enjoyed a River Boat Tour with Carlos through Eco Explorer. I had emailed Carlos prior to leaving Ontario to set up a day/time that we could share this tour with our fiends along with another couple from the resort. We had toured with him 2009 also. The 6 of us were picked up promptly at 7:30 in the morning and returned around 4:00 p.m., an all day excursion. From the moment we stepped into the van Carlos started our tour. He mentioned things that I, #1 couldn't see and #2 would never had thought of. Carlos is very prompt, knowledgeable and courteous. We seen and learned more with Carlos than we would have with others for sure. Travelling to the river we were educated about the melon process from planting to harvesting as well as the sugar cane and rice fields. Along the river we were able to see many crocs, white faced monkeys, howler monkeys, aguanas as well many different birds. As we had taken with us some school supplies for the local schools Carlos stopped at one of the schools so that we were able to present these school items to the classroom and witness the appreciation first hand. A lunch was prepared for us at a local restaurant and we also were able to see a local potter making the pottery you find being sold on the beaches as well as in the souvenir shops. The trip itself is less expensive than the ones being offered at the resort and I'm sure we seen and learned more from Carlos than any other guide. Thank you Carlos for another wonderful River Boat Tour and to all of you who are thinking about it...contact Carlos through Eco Explorer. He comes highly recommended! You will not be disappointed. We have now toured with him twice and hope to do it again next year.

3 Thank theryans-6
London, On
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Birding Guanacaste province”
Reviewed 6 March 2010

I'm a seasoned birder who has travelled extensively throughout the world and wanted to find a top-notch bird guide to get me some Guanacaste specialties. I found Carlos Jimenez from Eco-Explorers. His birding and communication skills were just what I needed. He found all of my " wish list" birds plus a few more that I didn't expect. He conveniently picked me up and dropped me of at my hotel, the Allegro Papagayo. I would recommend him to all who wish to experience some great birding in a beautiful and unique part of Costa Rica. Great job Carlos !!!!!!!

10 Thank worldbirderLondon_On
brooklyn,
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“I promise you'll be glad you found Carlos”
Reviewed 28 February 2010

Our group of 8 people travelled for 2 weeks in Costa Rica. We hired Carlos as a one day guide from Playa Hermosa visiting Santa Rosa NP and other local attractions. We has terrific. Very knowlegdeable and persoanble with lots of charisma. I could not recommend him more highly.

4 Thank zyxnyc
Fonthill, Ontario
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Recomended Birding Guide”
Reviewed 24 February 2010

Carlos was recommended to us by Richard Garrigues (author of the Birds of Costa Rica book) in January 2010. Four of us went to Santa Rosa NP, Rincon de la Vieja NP, and a private trail near Quebrada Grande in the rainforest with Carlos. He was able to call in birds, and was very knowledgable . Speaks very good English. We saw a Tody Mot Mot, and the count was about 122 species in 2 days, some of which are uncommon such as the Three-lined Thickknee. Carlos is both professional and personable, and I would not hesitate to recommend him to anyone. Great equipment such as his leather-seated van, sound equipment, and also indispensible local knowledge. He certainly knows his stuff!

4 Thank deldridge4