“Birding in Guanacaste, Costa Rica”

Eco Explorers Costa Rica
Moretown, Vermont
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Birding in Guanacaste, Costa Rica”
Reviewed 15 January 2014

Four of us booked two days of birding with Eco Explorers in January, 2014. Olivier Esquivel was our guide, and Santos drove. We visited Santa Rosa and the uplands of Northern Guanacaste the first day. And Palo Verde and surrounding agricultural lands the second. Both locales were exceptionally interesting to see and learn about. And, the birds were exceptional. Oli and Santos were outstanding guides -- knowledgeable on many topics, friendly, dedicated to going the extra mile to find the special birds and to ensuring that everyone got on them. Hard to think that the trips could have been better. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and brought home great memories of Motmots, Macaws, Trogons, Aracaris and many others. Hats off to Carlos and his team. We'll call them again when we return. I would not hesitate to recommend their services.
Scott

5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“This man loves birds!”
Reviewed 6 October 2013

I can truly recommend Carlos as your bird guide. We spent two days with him in Rincon de la Vieja NP and Santa Rosa NP. He spots ánd identifies everything that flies, perches, sings or chirps with casual expertise - and very quickly too. His enthusiasm is contagious and sincere. In fact I think he finds all those birds not just because he wants his clients to see them, but because he still wants to see them himself! Besides that he is a very amicable fellow who even lent us his USB stick with bird sounds so we could lure an owl to our lodge cabin's doorstep. Thanks a lot Carlos!

Visited September 2013
3 Thank PQdV
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“extraordinary!”
Reviewed 10 January 2013

I have had the good fortune to have Carlos Luis Jimenez as a birding guide on two different occasions. He was truly outstanding both times. He picked me up promptly at my hotel, and even had located a screech owl on the hotel property as we got into the car. His birding skills are top notch - identifying birds by sight and sound. He is pleasant and quite fun to be with - a very good sense of humor. I believe he went all out to help me see the local birds. He knew great spots and we didn't spend any time just 'wandering around'. If you want a truly exceptional guide, hire Carlos Luis Jiminez.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank mrssmith1879
Corte Madera, California
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Excellent tour with a fantastic guide”
Reviewed 8 August 2011

We were in Guanacaste at Riu Hotel from August 2-7. We had pre-booked a tour with Eco Explorer for their all in one tour and could not have possibly had a better time.

We were picked up by our guide, Randall, promptly at 7:30 am as promised in a modern, comfortable and air conditioned van. Randall was warm, friendly, knowledgeable, informative...all the things that you would want in a guide. It was only me and my two teenage daughters on the tour, so we got excellent attention. This company specializes in small groups, so I think that this may be a common experience.

Our tour included a horseback ride to a waterfall for swimming; river tubing; a zip-line canopy tour that also had rappelling and a rock climb; mud bath and hot springs...and a very good lunch as well. The tour was at Guachipelín Lodge surrounded by the Rincón de la Vieja Volcano National Park. The company who actually runs the adventures was excellent, safety conscious, fun...it was truly a great day and a great value considering it was nearly 11 hours of activity.

They do require payment in cash, US $, so be prepared. However, they did not require payment until the end of the day...now, that is trust. However, I paid at the beginning just because I did not want to have to worry about carrying all that cash throughout the day.

I talked to several people at our resort who booked other tours and none of them sounded as good as ours...particularly considering the fact that we had our guide to ourselves. Some of the other companies had large groups of 20-30 people.

Visited August 2011
1 Thank DenMilo
Dallas, Texas
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Best tour of the entire trip”
Reviewed 3 May 2011

I can't say enough good things about Carlos and the tour. My husband booked the tour online before our arrival. On the day of the tour, Carlos arrived promptly at the hotel to pick us up to drive us to the boat for the river tour. The drive alone was worth the price of the tour before we ever even reached the boat. Along the way, he explained all about the Costa Rican culture, the industries, the people and even stopped many times to pull out a telescope to allow us a better chance to view the wildlife. He is very knowledgeable, charming and witty which enhanced the tour even better. When we arrived at the boat, about 3-4 other tour guides were there with there groups. My husband and I overheard 2 of the guides mention that they wanted Carlos to give the river tour since he "was the best." They were right! During the tour, we saw crocs, beautiful birds, iguanas, and lots of monkeys. It was amazing!! After the tour, Carlos took us to lunch at a local spot that had delicious authentic Costa Rican food. All in all, it was a fabulous tour and a great day! You can't go wrong choosing this one!

Visited May 2011