“Monkey's, crocks and Iguana too”

Palo Verde Boat Tours
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
111 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 169 helpful votes
“Monkey's, crocks and Iguana too”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The river is brown and filled with debris. The boat driver speeds down the bank and stops at selected spots so you can photograph the nature...We saw a 1200 plus pound crock along with many small ones here and there, flora, birds of all kind and of course the main attraction..white faced monkey's. Iguana are everywhere so look in the trees, the banks and on the shores...I was told this would be a half a day but we traveled more than the actual boat ride. It left me wanting more...Would have been awesome to exit somewhere and do walking but given the size of the crock we saw ummm may not. I think the tour needs to extend the area and the boats cruise and space them out more....WE paid 130 for both us and included a lunch and pottery stop. We skipped the pottery stop and went to the fruit market instead...Lunch was as we thought an authentic Costa Rican lunch would be...Cooked over wood fire and served family style...Our guide Roberto was very knowledgeable and gave us history of Costa Rica on our ride to and from...Overall an experience!

Corvallis, Oregon
85 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 75 helpful votes
“Nice trip, just not the expected wildlife”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

With any wildlife trip, you need to be there in the right season, at the right time of day, etc etc,so this is judged based on my experience but someone else could have seen more than I did.

The tour itself is really a 4 out of 5, nice trip down the river, the guide can find every bit of wildlife that is there at that time : crocodiles, 10 or more variety of birds (but not terribly colorful), iguanas, a couple monkeys way up in the tree.

It was the dry season so the trip won't be lush and green, but might be in the rainy season. My tour came through Swiss Travel and included fruit when we go there, lunch afterwards - all good, and then a trip into Liberia to shop a small bit.

It was a nice day, just not as great as expected,

Visited March 2014
Dearborn Heights, Michigan
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“Palo Verde River Tour”
Reviewed 28 February 2014

While staying on vacation at Flamingo Beach Resort, we booked this excursion through the resort's concierge to take this tour. We paid $70 per person & was told it would be a half day tour without lunch. We were told there would be a cooler on the boat so if we wanted to bring drinks and/or some snacks/food we could use their cooler for such & also they would provide bottled water on the boat. We were picked up around 8 a.m. & returned to the resort between 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.

I don't know the name of the tour company that the hotel concierge booked us with & I know quite a few other tour companies offer this excursion & they all vary in price & times. Since we were staying all inclusive at our resort, we really didn't mind that our tour didn't include lunch & were back to our resort in enough time for that anyway. Some of the other tours offer lunch included in their price for more money & therefore extend the time a little longer for that. Others also offer a combo tour of the river & lunch & shopping, so do your research & pick the one that suits your budget & time frame. Be advised if you are doing this excursion, it's at least a 90 minute ride to & from the river & the tour on the river is at least 90 minutes to 2 hours long.

We enjoyed our tour guide on the bus, he had a lot of interesting stories & information about Costa Rica to fill in the travel time to the river. The tour on the river was interesting & a chance to see the beautiful birds & exotic animals of the jungle...monkeys, iguanas, bats & crocodiles. The river boat tour guides are experts at finding & pointing out the animals/birds for photos.

From what I've read, the best time for these tours are in the morning when the animals are most active & able to be seen. I've seen some pics posted online where some of the monkeys actually came on the boat to sit on people up close & personal! Not my experience though, we did see Howler monkeys in the trees above but the White Faced monkeys were a little tougher to spot in the trees. We did see the crocodiles pointed out to us in the river, usually just the top of their head though. I was lucky enough to be pointing my camcorder in the right direction of a river bank, when all of a sudden a huge full size crocodile came sliding down the river bank into the water. Wow....full body shot...success....I think I was the only one on the boat that was able to capture this on my camcorder, it happened so fast that the others weren't able to catch him in time before he dove in the water out of sight. Either way, it just seems to be by chance and/or luck what you are able to see up close & how interactive the animals will be.

I do recommend taking this excursion, it's definitely a chance to see the jungle animals of Costa Rica in their natural habitat....something one can appreciate & don't get to experience often....go & enjoy!!

1 Thank burnsyislandgirl
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“Over Done”
Reviewed 26 February 2014

When I read the other reviews of the Palo Verde River Cruise, I have to agree with most of them.
We did see some birds, some iguanas, bats, a couple of crocodiles, and some white faced monkeys. The boats cruise about a 2 mile section of the river and the drivers all know excaclty where the wild life is. They do go out of their way to make sure you see all that there is to see, but I still came away with the feeling that it was sadly manipulated somehow. The guides and drivers do not pay attention to the sign on the boat that says, "Do Not Feed The Wildlife". With out the snacks, we would not have had such a close encounter with the croc, who definitely was interested in the blood soaked sponge our driver tempted the "old fellow" with.
We were not as fortunate as the friends whose driver had real chicken to feed the "old fellow".
The White Faced Monkeys got real close when we shared our fruit - right on my lap!!!
And the our guide dropped us like a hot potato when a couple of Jabirus were circling up above - grabbing his camera and shooting from the front of the boat. We never did hear what made these birds so special.
So what am I complaining about?? Just a feeling that this tour is so over booked that the few animals and birds that straggle along this part of the river are really only there for the food, and so it is more like a zoo habitat.

1 Thank HollyDaize
Green Bay
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Palo Verde Wildlife/Xplore tour”
Reviewed 24 January 2014

Xplore Costa Rica tours picked us up at 6:30am and arrived at the bout tour at 8am. There is always more wildlife in the morning. Plan your trip around the tide, go in the morning at low tide. The alligators,many water fowl, etc. will be on the banks of the river, spotted bats hanging on side of tree thanks to the guide/boat driver. Eugene (with Xplore) went with us, and he was very knowlegeable about the ecology, etc. Seen Howler monkeys. On the return trip we stoped at the Gutail Pottery. Great hands on demonstration, large outdoor kilns. Great Lunch included, with pleanty to eat,drink. Also stoped in Santa Cruz to see the old clock tower next to a nice church. With a park with statues across the street. There happened to be a festival going on in town that week, so when we stopped there was a parade going right past the park/church. people all over. It was kind of nice to see the local parade/celebration. Eugene with Xplore did a great job all day. Always right there to help. We used Xplore Costa Rica tours many times for our Vacation and we were never disapointed in thier service.

Visited January 2014