“Great way to see Costa Rican wildlife”

Palo Verde Boat Tours
Reviewed 31 March 2014

Considered a half day trip, this adventure was from 7:30-2:30. After a drive to the Tempisque River we saw White Faced and Howler monkeys, crocodiles, large iguanas, common basilisk (Jesus Christ lizard), Macaws, Blue Herons, White Herons, sand pipers, and egrets. The boat ride was refreshing and our guides were very knowledgable. We ate a lunch of green salad, rice, red beans, seasoned beef and chicken, fried cheese, plantains, squash, corn tortilla, ice cream, juice and coffee which was included in the cost of this trip ($40 per person). The staff made sure everyone had plenty to eat, clean restrooms and were comfortable. Thank you for making this such an awesome trip.

All reviews
in 6 reviews
"amazing wildlife"
in 6 reviews

Reviewed 15 March 2014

Just returned from vacationing at the Occidental Grand Papagayo . We prebooked with Mardigi Tours after reading the reviews on trip advisor. We confirmed our reservations by having the front desk call Marvin, the owner. They were not allowed into our hotel property because the hotel sponsors their own tours. However, my husband and I walked to the front gate and were met by our tour guide, Mark. He was our personal guide for the day, and what a terrific day we had!!! Mark was excited to show us all of the flora and fauna in the region. We stopped for a snack before embarking on our river tour. We were joined by 8 others in our boat and we began our journey encountering howler monkeys, white-faced monkeys, egrets, blue herons, iguanas, bats, and crocs that came right up to our boat. Go early in the morning when the animals are active. Afterward, we explored different tree species and flowers, rice paddies, sugar cane fields ( one that was being burned for harvest). We stopped for a delicious homemade lunch at a small local restaurant and then we went to a local coffee producer and purchased freshly roasted coffee. Our last stop was at Coco Beach to shop for souvenirs for our grandchildren. It was a spectacular day with a superb tour guide. Don't hesitate to book with one of the finest tour companies in Costa Rica. Thumbs up to Mark with Mardigi Tours. Thanks for showing us so much about your lovely country .

1  Thank NancyG222
Reviewed 10 March 2014

The river is brown and filled with debris. The boat driver speeds down the bank and stops at selected spots so you can photograph the nature...We saw a 1200 plus pound crock along with many small ones here and there, flora, birds of all kind and of course the main attraction..white faced monkey's. Iguana are everywhere so look in the trees, the banks and on the shores...I was told this would be a half a day but we traveled more than the actual boat ride. It left me wanting more...Would have been awesome to exit somewhere and do walking but given the size of the crock we saw ummm may not. I think the tour needs to extend the area and the boats cruise and space them out more....WE paid 130 for both us and included a lunch and pottery stop. We skipped the pottery stop and went to the fruit market instead...Lunch was as we thought an authentic Costa Rican lunch would be...Cooked over wood fire and served family style...Our guide Roberto was very knowledgeable and gave us history of Costa Rica on our ride to and from...Overall an experience!

Reviewed 8 March 2014

With any wildlife trip, you need to be there in the right season, at the right time of day, etc etc,so this is judged based on my experience but someone else could have seen more than I did.

The tour itself is really a 4 out of 5, nice trip down the river, the guide can find every bit of wildlife that is there at that time : crocodiles, 10 or more variety of birds (but not terribly colorful), iguanas, a couple monkeys way up in the tree.

It was the dry season so the trip won't be lush and green, but might be in the rainy season. My tour came through Swiss Travel and included fruit when we go there, lunch afterwards - all good, and then a trip into Liberia to shop a small bit.

It was a nice day, just not as great as expected,

See more reviews
Reviewed 28 February 2014

While staying on vacation at Flamingo Beach Resort, we booked this excursion through the resort's concierge to take this tour. We paid $70 per person & was told it would be a half day tour without lunch. We were told there would be a cooler on the boat so if we wanted to bring drinks and/or some snacks/food we could use their cooler for such & also they would provide bottled water on the boat. We were picked up around 8 a.m. & returned to the resort between 1:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.

I don't know the name of the tour company that the hotel concierge booked us with & I know quite a few other tour companies offer this excursion & they all vary in price & times. Since we were staying all inclusive at our resort, we really didn't mind that our tour didn't include lunch & were back to our resort in enough time for that anyway. Some of the other tours offer lunch included in their price for more money & therefore extend the time a little longer for that. Others also offer a combo tour of the river & lunch & shopping, so do your research & pick the one that suits your budget & time frame. Be advised if you are doing this excursion, it's at least a 90 minute ride to & from the river & the tour on the river is at least 90 minutes to 2 hours long.

We enjoyed our tour guide on the bus, he had a lot of interesting stories & information about Costa Rica to fill in the travel time to the river. The tour on the river was interesting & a chance to see the beautiful birds & exotic animals of the jungle...monkeys, iguanas, bats & crocodiles. The river boat tour guides are experts at finding & pointing out the animals/birds for photos.

From what I've read, the best time for these tours are in the morning when the animals are most active & able to be seen. I've seen some pics posted online where some of the monkeys actually came on the boat to sit on people up close & personal! Not my experience though, we did see Howler monkeys in the trees above but the White Faced monkeys were a little tougher to spot in the trees. We did see the crocodiles pointed out to us in the river, usually just the top of their head though. I was lucky enough to be pointing my camcorder in the right direction of a river bank, when all of a sudden a huge full size crocodile came sliding down the river bank into the water. Wow....full body shot...success....I think I was the only one on the boat that was able to capture this on my camcorder, it happened so fast that the others weren't able to catch him in time before he dove in the water out of sight. Either way, it just seems to be by chance and/or luck what you are able to see up close & how interactive the animals will be.

I do recommend taking this excursion, it's definitely a chance to see the jungle animals of Costa Rica in their natural habitat....something one can appreciate & don't get to experience often....go & enjoy!!

1  Thank burnsyislandgirl