The Springs Resort and Spa
Arenal Kioro Suites & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$273
US$264
Volcano Lodge & Springs(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$200
US$107
  • Breakfast included
Arenal Springs Resort and Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$531
US$156
  • Breakfast included
Tabacon Thermal Resort & Spa(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$499
Bookit.com
US$290
Arenal Lodge(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$127
US$109
  • Breakfast included
Nayara Resort Spa & Gardens(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$554
Los Lagos Hotel Spa & Resort(La Fortuna de San Carlos)
US$123
US$98
  • Breakfast included
Heliconias Nature Lodge(Arenal Volcano National Park)
US$162
US$116
Hotwire.com
Lost Iguana Resort & Spa(Arenal Volcano National Park)
US$206
Cancelon
2,567 results
All reviewsclub riohorseback ridingday passsushi barhot springsthe riveranimal sanctuarylas ventanasmonkey slidespring poolsrock climbingarenal volcanocosta ricalee bankssister propertyzip liningvarying temperatures
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 July 2012

My friends and I were just blown away as soon as we arrived. We were so impressed that we immediately asked to extend our one day visit to two--even though we had rented a house during the time. We were fortunate, and grateful, that we were able to do so. Kudos to Jason at the Registration Desk, who went directly to the owner, Lee Banks, on our behalf.

I have visited 5 Star resorts/hotels and, in my opinion, The Springs is a good as any. The property is impeccibly maintained, the views of the volcano are spectacular, and the rooms are as luxurious as any in which I have ever stayed. Of particular note is the level of service rendered by the resort staff. William, the hospitality bar tender, and his brother Marvin, our guide in the animal preserve, truly understand how to make a guest feel wanted. Much credit must go to the owner, with whom I had an opportunity to chat. Mr. Banks understands how to operate a high end resort destination, and does a remarkable job of passing it on to his employees. This resort is definately worth a return trip.

Room Tip: All rooms put the volcano in focus. Higher floors offer slightly better views.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank Bill T
Reviewed 23 July 2012

We were able to get a 2 day pass for the springs from our hotel and we had a great time. The property is huge and it felt almost empty when we went in July. The kids could jump from pool to pool and we generally had the pools to ourselves. The pools were clean and the staff were friendly. There are some pools where you need to climb from one to the next over the cement poolside that is made to look like natural rock. The kids came away with some scratches on their toes.

We did not stay at the hotel, just visited the springs.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank glen p
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed with another couple in July for three nights, but I wished we would have stayed longer! It was by far the most amazing location/resort I've seen! Definitely do the hanging bridges, zip lining, and canyoning! I can't wait to come back and bring my kids when they get older!!!! I am absolutely in love with costa rica!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Beautiful hotel, grounds, rooms. We had one of the 2 bedroom suites with the most spectacular view of volcan Arsenal. Pool area was great and the wildlife reserve was very interesting. My only complaint was no elevator to our rooms on the 3rd floor (my elderly mother would have benefited.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Short Version:
PROS: the staff was super helpful, even upgraded us to one of their nicest villas, very accommodating, helpful at recommending the best excursions and activities and even helped set them up for us. The resort it self is beautiful with over 20 hot springs, all very clean and well-kept. I would recommend staying here for couples or families since there's so much do on the actual property without traveling.
CONS: The food was okay, not the best and definitely over priced. The wifi never worked.

Detailed Version:
As soon as we checked-in, we got greeted with welcome drinks and a short tour of the property. They drive golf carts around the property and take you to the room since its such a big resort. Although it was big, it didn't feel commercialized, its still was very true to Costa Rica and I definitely felt I was in another country but with all the facilities of being home. We got checked-in and they kindly upgraded us to one of the best villas on the resort (some of the bell men told us Will Smith stayed in our same villa a month before with his family!). The views from all the rooms face the Arenal Volcano so each room had an amazing view no matter what. All the rooms were clean with the occasional bug creeping in that is just unavoidable in the rain forest. Our villa even came with a sweet cat that hung around our whole stay there! We later found out it was a neighbors cat but often comes to the resort since many customers end up feeding it (as we did). It was also so nice when we came back from our activities everyday to see our clean room with a new towel animal on the bed; we had an elephant, turtle, swans, etc. Super cute and very thoughtful!
The activities that are offered at the resort were awesome. We ended up doing the tubing and 4-wheeling. The 4-wheeling tour was amazing! It was just me, my husband, and the instructor and he took us for an hour long tour (theres several other options) across the property but we had the chance to see the most gorgeous views! We drove along all different types of roads, rain forest, mud, grass...it was a true ATV experience. The instructor also took our camera and took great action shots of us while riding around.
The tubing was my husbands favorite. Again, it was just me and my husband and THREE instructors! It was amazing floating down the river (which was graded 2-3). The instructors made us feel very safe and even when we got stuck in rocks, it was so much fun. The best part of the experience was that they video taped it for us for free and gave us an edited version when we checked out. I highly recommend tubing if you're not going to go rafting. It was also nice that we got such great service and it was so personal. Each instructor made sure we had a good time and were super friendly and informative. The resort also offered horse back riding, kayaking, and several other activities that we didn't have a chance to do.
I can't say enough good things about all of their staff. Each of them from the moment we checked-in to checking out, to the waitresses, hostess, instructors, and bell men...they were all so helpful, kind and fun to be around.
The hot springs were also the best part of the resort, obviously. The were all very clean and maintained well. They open from around 8am to about 10pm I think. I wished they were open a little longer in the evening for late nights, but other than that, they were the most relaxing pools. They range from 103 degrees to some very cold ones. They have around 20 different springs. One pool has a bar where you can order drinks and food from. Another one has a slide. They all range in temperature and have signs in front of them so you know what to expect before getting in. They have towels and baths located around each of the pools so it was very convenient. At night, they are all lighted up and made for a romantic evening. Since there were so many pools, it felt very private which is something my husband and I very much appreciated.
Another great thing about this resort is that it is located in the best spot, only 20 minutes from downtown La Fortuna, the La Fortuna Waterfalls, and Star Trek zip-lining. Beware of the rocky roads though that lead up to the resort. If you are weak when it comes to motion sickness, please take medicine before you ride ANYWHERE in Costa Rica since ALL the roads curve in every other direction.
The only "bad" things I can say about this resort is that the food was not up to par, especially when we ate outside the resort in La Fortuna and honestly had the best food I've ever eaten at this restaurant called Don Rafinos. The breakfast buffet (which is the only restaurant opened for breakfast on the whole resort expect room service) was the same everyday and little expensive since I don't eat much to began with.
The other thing was that the wifi kept going out so we never had access to the internet to check important emails, make other travel arrangements, etc. But, they still tried to help whenever they could, which was part of their great customer service.
I HIGHLY recommend staying at The Springs and look forward to bringing my whole family here the next time we come to Costa Rica. PURA VIDA!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple